1987 17" bayliner 85hp force

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1987 17" bayliner 85hp force

a fellow Bayliner owner here...see below... what are the chances your boat is not waterlogged ?.....ask me how I know.....lol

vscgraphics

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks everyone so far.

I had the prop off no numbers. I anm going to rebuild the fuel pump. I will take the boat out next warm day. I will bring some tools to take the hydrofoil off when I am out on the water. I wuill post the results... before and after the foil.
I used to have plenty of tachs from racing(of course now I have none) I will pick one up.

john from md

Commander

The older force engines used a 20 pole tach and they are no longer made. You can find them in ebay sometimes and in second hand boat stores sometimes.

One thing I would like to suggest to help you plane faster and maybe increase your speed. Put a set of "Smart Tabs" on your boat instead of a foil. These are relatively inexpensive, about $100, easy to install and they really work well. You can google smart tabs and see all the info or search iboats forums.

If you have helpers, you can buy an inductive tach, the type used for tuning a car (such as a Suntune or Craftsman), and have the person hold that in the back of the boat while you are running it. It will at least give you an idea of what the engine is doing.

John

vscgraphics

Seaman Apprentice

I am going to put a digitron or mychron tach on it(digital racing tach.. memory and head temp. used ones go for about $75

I will look up the smart tabs

john from md

Commander

Just remember when you buy your tach, today's tachs are made for 4 to 12 poles. The Force 85 engine is not compatible with new tachs.

As for foils, they do give you great turns when skiing or board riding, but the pressure is all on the engine and, due to their location, you can actually roll a boat if turned tightly crossing a wake.

When I was younger, we had no internet to spread this kind of info around. We had to learn from the school of hard knocks. Some of us survived the training and others did not.

John

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer

vscgraphics---If I take my hydrofoil off it will gain speed?

I do not do any skiing or tubing just drive around, sit, and fish.....

Worth it or no?

Couldnt hurt anything to try?

john from md

Commander

If you just sit and fish, you don't need a foil. Set your trim at the second position from the transom if manual and she should plane out fine. If you have a spare $100 and a little time, you can invest in Smart Tabs. I have never seen a Bayliner that had them that did not have an increase in performance.

Basically what they do for you is get you up on a plane faster, allow you to stay on a plane at a slower speed and in most cases, give you better gas economy. With older Bayliners, we need all the help we can get with these gas guzzlers!

John

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer

Im going to take that off. Any body want it? Free just pay shipping.

Now whats smart tabs?

Where can I buy them? Easy to install worth it?

Agreed on the gas! :cool:

vscgraphics

Seaman Apprentice

I will post the results...next trip out with the foil off. Maybe next weekend.

I did look at the trim tabs...they look worth the money. Maybe something to add in the next few weeks

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer

I know I will be taking mine out this week, I will take mine off tomorrow, see what happens. hopefully I see something, doubt it though, nothing to lose I guess.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Before you buy anything!!!! Do a compression and spark test.Get a tach.
You gotta walk before you go fast.
You can put all the foils and smart tabs you want.But until you make sure your motor is running good.Your wasting your time.J

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer

I guess I didnt say I was going to do that test tomorrow also.

I am going to make sure the compression is good, and take that off.

Ill let you know how I make out

john from md

Commander

Smart tabs are trim tabs that automatically adjust to your boats load and speed. They use gas struts similar to the ones that hold up your car hood to put pressure on the tab. Water pressure acts on the tab and, in conjuction with your engine trim setting and hull design, lifts the boat so that a minimum amount is riding in the water. The struts and tab size are calibrated for the size of the boat.

You can google Smart tabs or search this forum and find out about them. I think the company that makes them is called Nauticus or something like that. They take about an hour to install and all you have to do is drill a few holes using a pattern.

I am not affiliated in any way with these folks but I have them on my boats and have ridden several other boats with them installed. They really do make a difference in the ride.

John

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer

I checked my compression today.

Cylinder#1 135 psi
Cylinder#2 135 psi
Cylinder#3 130 psi
Cylinder#4 130 psi

I think thats pretty good?

I ruled out bad compression.

I took off the Hydrofoil.

See what happens next time im out..

Maybe get a different prop?

john from md

Commander

If you decarb a couple of times, you may get it up to 150 per cylinder. What size prop are you running now?

John

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The compression sounds good.Are the plugs firing and all the same burn?Spark test?
Did you check the fuel pump diaphram?Is the linkage to the carbs all adjusted correct.When setting(motor off)throttle full forward,check the butterflys in the front of the carbs see if they are all the same position flat open all the way.The reeds for missing,broken etc.
He can't find a # on his prop.It should be there somewhere.Maybe painted over.
When you get the tach hooked up let us know what WOT/RPM are.J

vscgraphics

Seaman Apprentice

I have a busy schedule this week, hopefully by the end of the week I get the compression test done. I removed the fuel pump for rebuild on that.

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, all the spark plugs are firing.

I have been hearing about that fuel pump...Whats to check on that?

Both the butterfly valves are opening up correctly and fully one of the first things I looked at.

Any way to hook up a tach with out installing one permanitly?