Do I have the right prop

tcooley

Cadet
Hello;
I have a Tahoe 204 deck boat with a 5.0 220hp. The stock prop is a 14.25 by21p I put a 14x19 4 dlade on to help stop the porpising (helped a little)
.then I put a hydrofole on. The boat runs out at about 42mph (gps) at 4200 Rpms with 4 blade on I get the same resalt with the stok prop but the boat handles poor. Is the hydrofole the case of the loss or lack of rpms?

junior1113

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Do I have the right prop

never seen a hydrafoil on an i/o. they only work if cavitation plate is above waterline mostly small outboards. your on the right track with 4 blade prop. takefoil off rpms will come up a little. youd like to see at least 4400. think about smart tabs or hydralic if none are present. what kind of prop is the 4 blade. would be best to have one that has stern lift or overall lift rather than bow lift.

tcooley

Cadet

The 4 blade prop is a Mercruiser vensura 14.25 x 19

hwsiii

Commander

T,
Is the hydrofole the case of the loss or lack of rpms?

You need to pull the hydrafoil and let's see where we are and go from there.

H

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Ditto - lose the 'foil especially if it is a stingray, cause they actually work. I had one on my boat for one day, cause the bass pro guy was an idoit and I didn't know any better then. My boat is smaller than your but in the same speed range. That foil produced so much lift that I couldn't get the bow out of the water, it cost me 7 mph and made the boat very unstable. Ripped it off, and put the money into a good prop - never looked back.

FWIW - you need to be shooting for 4800 WOT, your engine, wallet, and fun'O'meter will all thank you.

tcooley

Cadet

The boat wants too porpis whit out the hydrofoil. The hydroil is a SE Sport.
The only thing I can think to do is trime tads (but what kind)

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Lets eliminate a few things before spending money.

Have you verified that the hull has no hook or rocker?
How are you trimming the drive, holeshot, cruising and top speed?
How is the weight distributed in the boat?

tcooley

Cadet

Any trim and the boat will start to porpes with out the hydrofol. Trid moving weight around. I do not no how to verifi if it has a hook or rocker

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Put a straight edge along the bottom near the transom lengthways.If it rocks you have rocker in the bottom if there is a hollow between bottom and straight edge you have a hook.
In my limited experience its unusual for an I/O to have sensitive propoising problems.I'm unable to be too specific but perhaps a prop with bow lift would help.