Speedometer Mercruiser Bravo 3

RSR1010

Cadet
Thanks in advance for the help, I have a Mercruiser Bravo 3 outdrive, the speedometer was working fine I looked down at the gauge and found the needle to be stuck at 20 MPH there is no debris that I can see stuck on the outdrive I do not even know where to begin to look to find a pitot tube or such on the drive, is it possible since the needle is stuck and just not working that the gauge may have gone bad? once again thank you for the help.

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: Speedometer Mercruiser Bravo 3

It's most likely debris stuck in the opening for the speedo. That opening is in the leading edge of the lower unit, just a bit above the "bullet". Common issue with Bravo (and Alpha and new VPs) series drives.

MVC-111S.jpg

The only tube you'll find is this one, on the top of the anti-ventilation plate:
MVC-112S.jpg

RSR1010

Cadet

Thanks I will need to take a closer look.

RSR1010

Cadet

Update, I have found the small v notch opening just above bullet I took small drill bit and by hand cleaned out opening, the speedo is still stuck on 20 I found the small rubber tube above notch that is shown in pic, when I moved the hose around I notices a small drop of water drip out from bottom of it so I assume the pickup still is not cleaned otherwise I would think a stream of water should come out above bullet and speedo would drop to "0" should I remove hose to see if block is further up or try to blow air down it would be hard to get compressed air nozzle into area where rubber hose connects. Hope someone has more ideas.

Fun Times

Staff member

Unhook the hose at the anti-ventilation plate by turning the yellow adapter fitting 1/4 turn and lift it out.
Now see if it looks clean and see if the gauge does down.

If the gauge does not go down unhook the hose off the back of the gauge and see if it goes down, If not then it's a bad gauge or clogged fitting on the back of the gauge, ect.

Have you tried tapping on the gauge yet to see if the needle in the gauge will go down?

Now with the hose pulled off at both ends, Blow air through the hose, Try to have someone else at the other end of the hose to ensure it has good air flow, Also to see if any dirt, ect, has come out of the hose.

Now you will want to try to find a air hose fitting that will let you blow air down from the anti-ventilation plate area through the lower units little hole you just drilled out, see if you get air.

If yes then reinstall the yellow fitting at the anti-ventilation plate and blow air from the lower unit hole and have someone inside the boat to see if your getting air at the end of the hose where it hooks up at the gauge, If your getting a good amount of air, Then hook the hose back up to the gauge using a wire tie to secure the hose from blowing off either from water or air pressure, Then blow air from the drive units little hole and see if the gauge moves.

What I use to blow air down from the anti-ventilation plate is another yellow fitting with a little hose hooked up to it, But You could just unhook the hose from the back of the gauge and blow back as another option, Just have someone down there by the drive to see if your getting air.;)

If you can not get air coming out of the little hole on the lower unit when you blow air down from the anti-ventilation plate where the yellow adapter fitting goes, Then you may half to drop the lower unit to clear out the passageway.
Good luck.:)

RSR1010

Cadet

I just want to thank everyone for the help, it was just as everyone said I cleaned the port out by hand with a small drill bit and got a stream of water out when old wood debris was cleaned speedo dropped down tozero problem solved. Thanks again.

TilliamWe

Banned

You're welcome. You'll get used to doing it! ;)

Bama Boater

Recruit

Unhook the hose at the anti-ventilation plate by turning the yellow adapter fitting 1/4 turn and lift it out.
Now see if it looks clean and see if the gauge does down.

If the gauge does not go down unhook the hose off the back of the gauge and see if it goes down, If not then it's a bad gauge or clogged fitting on the back of the gauge, ect.

Have you tried tapping on the gauge yet to see if the needle in the gauge will go down?

Now with the hose pulled off at both ends, Blow air through the hose, Try to have someone else at the other end of the hose to ensure it has good air flow, Also to see if any dirt, ect, has come out of the hose.

Now you will want to try to find a air hose fitting that will let you blow air down from the anti-ventilation plate area through the lower units little hole you just drilled out, see if you get air.

If yes then reinstall the yellow fitting at the anti-ventilation plate and blow air from the lower unit hole and have someone inside the boat to see if your getting air at the end of the hose where it hooks up at the gauge, If your getting a good amount of air, Then hook the hose back up to the gauge using a wire tie to secure the hose from blowing off either from water or air pressure, Then blow air from the drive units little hole and see if the gauge moves.

What I use to blow air down from the anti-ventilation plate is another yellow fitting with a little hose hooked up to it, But You could just unhook the hose from the back of the gauge and blow back as another option, Just have someone down there by the drive to see if your getting air.;)

If you can not get air coming out of the little hole on the lower unit when you blow air down from the anti-ventilation plate where the yellow adapter fitting goes, Then you may half to drop the lower unit to clear out the passageway.
Good luck.:)

I found a small piece of rubber in mine. Speedometer was stuck on zero - now stuck on 5 mph. drill bit only goes in pitot tube hole about 1/8 inch. I took the yellow adapter off as suggessted but all looks well there.

RonaldLarson

Recruit

where do you buy a replacement pitot tube for the mercrusier?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Howdy RonaldLarson , and Welcome aboard!

I guess I should add that you're much better off starting a thread of your own with your question in an appropriate forum...

Responding to 2 year old (or any old) threads will usually get them locked (after 2 or three people respond to them too!!)

The dates are not that obvious..........catches all of us once in a while ................ I would rewrite the forum software to pop up a little window if someone replied to a thread older than x months, years etc.......!!

You're welcome. You'll get used to doing it! ;)

My Bravo III has always been plugged.

I have never been able to unplug it so I gave up and went back to a plastic pitot. :mad:

http://clubsearay.com/showthread.php/51691-Pitot-Speedo-Info-for-Bravo-3?highlight=Speedometer

Thanks to "Fun Times" for the above link!!

These guys think they found a way to fix it..... (didn't work for me though...yet)

Cheers,

Rick