Is This To Much Engine for my boat?

Andyfender

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 14' Grumman 4.4 Utility boat with a 15 HP outboard. I friend gave me his 35 HP. The grumman list max HP at 25. Would putting on the 35hp be to much for the boat? Things I am most concern about are the weight of the engine, not so much the speed. I don't anticipate opening her all the way.

Thanks,

Andy

Jeep Man

Commander
Re: Is This To Much Engine for my boat?

The weight is not the issue, although it is a factor. The ability of the boat, primarily the transom, to withstand the additional thrust is the concern. Additionally, if you did have an incident, the fact that your boat was overpowered could cause you some grief with the authorities and your insurance company.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Stay within the rated HP.
My 2 cents.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

who doesn't anticipate opening up his engine !!!! :D
stop fibbing...ya know ya gotta hear it wide open....lol

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I really dont think 10 horse will kill it. Remember however as stated before legal issues might make you wish you had never seen that 35.

ovrrdrive

Petty Officer 1st Class

Everyone that posts in this thread will be giving you their opinion.

That said, in my opinion you'll be fine.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Everyone that posts in this thread will be giving you their opinion.

That said, in my opinion you'll be fine.

lol...that said now....keep the hole shots to a minimum...watch the transom when you open her up and look for movement..should be ok...

a70eliminator

Captain

Forget the numbers for a minute and think about this, could a modern 25hp motor of today hold it's own against that old tired 35, I guess HP is HP however you look at it old or new, put some 25HP emblems on it nobody will know the dif.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Forget the numbers for a minute and think about this, could a modern 25hp motor of today hold it's own against that old tired 35, I guess HP is HP however you look at it old or new, put some 25HP emblems on it nobody will know the dif.

HP means nothing...torque is where the juice is...you'll be fine...it's not like you are adding nitous boost....lol

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Yeah, "You'll be OK" is just an opinion. Naturally, if you're not OK, they won't help pay your bills for you.

It really does not matter whether the boat will handle it, you you can handle it, or whether the transon will fall off. The real issue is legal liability.

You don't say where you live. Some states would consider 26 hp in violation of the law. I think its fair to assume that most insurance companies will cancel your insurance if you do it.

If you don't have insurance and you have a minor accident, you better hope the your lawyer is better than the one hired by the guy you tangle with, because he will take you to the cleaners.

Just not worth it. Free isnt always worth it. Maybe you could trade it to someone for a motor that is legal.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The opinion of the professional engineers and architects who designed and built the boat is that anything over 25HP is too much, Andy.

If you are looking for "permission" to disregard their judgement you will only get it from people with no credentials to make that judgement, and no accountability for the outcome.

That would be really, really dumb.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, "You'll be OK" is just an opinion. Naturally, if you're not OK, they won't help pay your bills for you.

It really does not matter whether the boat will handle it, you you can handle it, or whether the transon will fall off. The real issue is legal liability.

You don't say where you live. Some states would consider 26 hp in violation of the law. I think its fair to assume that most insurance companies will cancel your insurance if you do it.

If you don't have insurance and you have a minor accident, you better hope the your lawyer is better than the one hired by the guy you tangle with, because he will take you to the cleaners.

Just not worth it. Free isnt always worth it. Maybe you could trade it to someone for a motor that is legal.

take a minute and re-read the post... he is moving from 125 max to 135....chill out....

CATransplant

Admiral

take a minute and re-read the post... he is moving from 125 max to 135....chill out....

Uh, you may want to have another look at the original post. He's talking about moving from 25hp to 35hp. That's a pretty large percentage increase. You appear to have added 100 hp. :eek:

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

ok , let me correct myself... he is looking at moving from 25 hp to 35.....I don't think he will slingshot himself and his boat to the moon... climb down off of your high horse ......

1badhusky

Seaman

so, you'd be putting on an engine w/ 40% more power than your boat is rated for. Seems like too much.

CG and Sheriffs will check your reg for hp rating and will terminate your voyage and likely give you a ticket.

If it does rip off the transom, it'll happen at the worst possible time, so think about when that is and how you'd handle yourself and your passengers w/out a transom/engine at the worst possible time. If I was out w/ you and that happened and something bad happened to someone I cared about, you can bet I'd sue the crap out of you when I found out about the hp rating.

Being a good captain means being a safe captain over all other considerations.

kmk_7110

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not to sound mean but I think its a a stupid move.

Something happens and the truck you towed that boat there with the garage you park the truck in and the house attached to that garage will all be in the other guys name.

Also reminds me of the "Will XXXXXXXX car tow XXXXXX boat that weighs 6 times more then the car" questions

ovrrdrive

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tha Coast Guard maximum capacities label is justa recommendation anyway. It's not a federal violation to ignore it. While "some states" will give citations for exceeding it, I personally haven't ever heard of one doing it. Since you probably won't be getting insurance anyway the decision is yours to make.

Your right hand controls how fast and/or unsafe the boat will be.

http://www.uscgboating.org/assets/pdf/recalls/bscscan68a.pdf

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Well the usual summary of comments for this type of question and the usual arguments both ways.

You can lead a horse to water.........and you all know the rest.:rolleyes:

CATransplant

Admiral

ok , let me correct myself... he is looking at moving from 25 hp to 35.....I don't think he will slingshot himself and his boat to the moon... climb down off of your high horse ......

I don't have a horse, high or not. The OP asked for opinions. He got them. He will do whatever he decides to do.