What outdrive?

eedwards

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just got a 83 regal princess from a storage auction so i know nothing about the boat.How do it tell what outdrive i have?I know it is Mercuiser ,but is a alpha or bravo?The motor is a 4 cylinder 120.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: What outdrive?

I just got a 83 regal princess from a storage auction so i know nothing about the boat.How do it tell what outdrive i have?I know it is Mercuiser ,but is a alpha or bravo?The motor is a 4 cylinder 120.

It's either an 'MC-1' or an 'R'... Does it have a flat top or a top with a lifting eye in it?

Flat top -> 'R'
Lifting eye -> MC-1

Chris.......

eedwards

Petty Officer 2nd Class

From the link i was given looks like a Alpha flat top no ribs on the side.
And thanks for the link.

achris

From the link i was given looks like a Alpha flat top no ribs on the side.
And thanks for the link.

That's called an 'R' drive. R for 'Redesigned'...

Chris.......

eedwards

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's called an 'R' drive. R for 'Redesigned'...

Chris.......

Ok well i confused now because in the link the r drives show a loop on top and ribs on the side.

achris

I suspect the link is to a non-Merc source... This is a page from the Merc service technician's handbook....

1983 was the introduction of the 'R'.....

I looked at the link... They are SOOO wrong it's not funny. They is no such drive as a 'pre-Alpha' (I wish people would STOP using that term, it's very confusing) and the 'MR' and 'Alpha one' are different... It's very minor, but they are different... Have a look in the ADULTS ONLY thread and download the history and ID of Mercruiser drives...

attachment.php

Attachments

• MC-1 vs R.jpg
    MC-1 vs R.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member

Ok well i confused now because in the link the r drives show a loop on top and ribs on the side.

Ayuh,... I believe you have either the MR, or the Alpha 1...
Not that it really matters til your buying Internal parts for 'em...

Drive for Drive,... They All interchange with each other, Up to the Gen.IIs, which don't interchange with Anything but itself...

eedwards

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok Don yours shows I-R for a 1983 120.So i would be ok with alpha parts?I need all new bellows and like to go get them today.I also need i new line for the lift and i should be good to go.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You need to go by the serial number of the drive, not the year of your boat. It's not unheard of for an 83 boat to have an 82 engine package in it. Boat years start on calander years, engines don't.

eedwards

Petty Officer 2nd Class

6273691 are the only numbers i see on the outdrive they are on the port side there is also a big B stamped close by the numbers.

eedwards

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So the transom seal kit should say it fits a R