Trolling motor for Ranger 373v

MASTER Brian

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1986 Ranger 373v and after spending the week fishing in the wind at Table Rock Lake, I have decided my stock 12/24v Motor-guide trolling motor isn't strong enough to keep me off the rocks in a strong wind. So, I've decided I need to start looking for an updated model.

Any suggestions for this boat? Don't want to spend a fortune, but want something nice and possibly one with a remote...

Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trolling motor for Ranger 373v

It would sure help if we knew what motor you had now!

MASTER Brian

I suppose that makes sense....it's an old Motorguide with 41lbs of thrust. Switchable from 12 to 24 volts at the motor control and has 5 speed settings with 12v and 5 with 24v. I don't have the model # on me and couldn't find it on the motor itself. I do have the manual, but not sure where it went, just had it the other day and will look for it if need be.

Thanks!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If a 41 isn't big enough then the largest 12 volt motor available to you would be a 55. Anything over that is 24 volts. So judging by your comments about 41 pounds, I would guess you should have a 24 volt, perhaps 70# motor. Preferably one with the Maximizer (Minnkota terminology). MotorGuide has a similar system for a little more run time..

MASTER Brian

What is common on newer boats of this size? 12/24 switchable or just 24v? I pretty much just left it on 24v the entire week and was happy. Sometimes, I did switch over to 12v, just to go a bit slower to keep things just a bit quieter....

Thanks for the advice!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

12/24 motors are few and far between any more. They were a novelty when they were available and totally a waste in my view. As for electric motors -- more voltage = better.