MCM 888 thermostat house

frank246

Petty Officer 1st Class
When looking at the flow diagram for an 888 Mercruiser it just does not seem right to me.
-The water pump in the outdrive supports water to the lower section (sump) of the thermostat house, there it splits, cold water flows down into the circulation pump for the engine to cool and the remaining flows on both sides to the back of both the exhausts.
The water then flows to the front of the exhausts and mixes on the top of the thermostat house with the water comming out the engine. Now here is the issue. The thermostat reacts on the mixed water temperature comming from the exhaust on both sides and the water comming out the engine.
If the exhausts run hot increasing the water temp in it the thermostat opens due to the exhaust water temp and not the engine water temp, making the engine to cool when not nessesary. On the other hand when the exhaust does not heat up the water sufficient and it mixes, the thermostat wont open (enough) so the engine runs hot.
It all hangs somekind on the water flow speed of the exhausts, Poor design?
Im working on a cover now that seperates them, making the exhaust waste water to flow over the thermostat instead of mixing it with the engine water and then run thru the thermostat (when lucky) or the bypass hole.
It then mixes with the engine water after the thermostat and out thru the elbows.

Now the thermostat only reacts on the water comming out the engine making it more stable and efficient.

Anny thoughts?

A- Cold water comming from outdrive
B- Cold water to circ pump for cooling engine
C- Cold water to Starboard exhaust
D- Cold water to port side exhaust
1- Hot water comming from port side exhaust
2- Hot water comming from starboard side exhaust
3- Hot water comming from engine
4- Mixed water thru bypass hole
5- Mixed water to run thru thermostat (when hot from either)

Attachments

• 888 thermostat house #.JPG
    888 thermostat house #.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 1

Bondo

Staff member
Re: MCM 888 thermostat house

Anny thoughts?

Ayuh,... It's worked as designed for the last 40 years...
I see No reason to Reinvent the Wheel...

frank246

Petty Officer 1st Class

The 188 has the weakness to fluctuate in temperature from 140-170 F and im trying to get the temperature to a constant ~150 F thats all.
Re-inventing the wheel.... nope, just working to improve the `70s system.
If it works (sort of) it does not say it can not work better, or do you still drive a yugo?

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Or, you could just fix whatever problem your paticular engine has and quit chasing solutions to problems that do not exist.

frank246

Petty Officer 1st Class

I dont have to fix annything, just to improve a poor working design on my (non stock) boat engine.
So.... ideas?

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer

The longevity of a motor is usually the valve train and that means the exhaust valves. The "design" is for longevity of the motor not efficiency. Your change will help performance but will take away life. your call. If your running hard most of the time a lower temp or no thermostat would be a better option and a closed cooling system would be best.

frank246

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your running hard most of the time a lower temp or no thermostat would be a better option and a closed cooling system would be best.

Im running a 142F thermostat.
I have ran it without a thermostat also but.... then when the water temp is some 10+ deg. colder also the engine is and the carb settings dont like that.
Im getting a poor idle/mid range mix when the water is colder or vice versa.
Im trying to achieve a constant temperature so I can set the carb at its best.
Luckily im not dealing with overtemp but the other way. :)
Thanks!

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'm out of ideals I'm happy with. Will talk to a buddy this week and get back. He and his Buddies run power boats on lake Erie and run all sizes and power. I'm sure there are some fresh water boys on here also, maybe they will chime in.
one more thing. If you added compression to the motor with the mods, then boost the octane, 91 oc will burn hotter and get the temps up. trying to tune and hold a mod carb.engine on reg. pump gas is ruff.
You know the salt water and closed system guys are smiling right now.... LOL

haulnazz15

Captain

Sorry, but my 351W had no issues with the cooling and no issues with carb setting at any temp of water or air. Sure it takes longer to warm up when the water temp is low, but eventually the engine should get pretty close to the same operating temp unless you're running in really cold water. We're normally in 60-80 degree water.

You are talking about upping the compression and other labor-intensive rebuild options in order to fix an operating temp issue? That's like blowing up a bridge and rebuilding it because of a pothole!