my first project

nukid68

Seaman Apprentice
Re: my first project

Turns out the floor is plywood with fiberglass layer on top. It is rotten (that's a major understatement) in all the soft places. I tore up some of the "holes" and here is what I found.

Attachments

• DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 3

86 century

Ensign

A lot of boats are built that way. Take your time pulling it apart take lots of pics and measure everything twice. In the end you will be glad you did. good luck

nukid68

Seaman Apprentice

well I started pulling up the floor. It is a mess. the wood is really rotten,from water siting there with no way to drain. Once I had cleaned out the drain hole it went like crazy. but the transom seems solid. here's hoping. Also, I could be considered a carpenter after building homes for a year, so hopefully I can handle the job easily. Will send picks in a few, just found out I am no longer working, puts a damper on getting her wet this summer....grrrrr

nukid68

Seaman Apprentice

OK, for you Hoosiers,a big question. I just found out I need a bill of sale to register/title the boat, especially if I plan to put a motor on it. It was given to me by a craigslist guy, who dropped it off for me and I don't know who it was. Now what can I do. The old number is still on the boat. Any help or ideas? If I can't get it titled, I may as well quit before I put any money in it.

Please tell me someone has an answer.
Jim

ozenine

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Jim,
I do not want to be negative, but when i was buying a boat I had a list of things that I need in it and price besides each one if it was not present in the package. For instance - good trailer - 400. So if the boat came with really bad trailer it would cost me 400 dollars to find a better one.

So out of the things that I had were motor - 500, trailer 400, seats 200, solid hull (priceless), good paint job - 400. And so on. when i applied my calculations to some boats out there it turned out that sell was owing me money for it.
Even if things are free you need to factor in cost of material (fiberglass, plywood, paint, carpet, epoxy, etc etc).

My biggest problem was that i got too picky - Starcraft SS, 16 footer, oben bow. So i ended up spending 1800 for one with blown motor.

Said that I am now considering getting a aluminum closed bow boat for 900 because it comes with good motor and on trailer. (Sell trailer, sell boat and I have deal on motor). I have also seen a lot of fiberglasses even cheaper.

Why am I saying all this - make sure you do the math. I also do not know pricing in your area, but mine was considered to be one of the most expensive. People here had a nice aluminum Starcraft for 300-600 bucks. With motor that runs!

So once again, this is IMHO and I had no intentions on spoiling your mood :) Good Luck.

PS here is one: http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/boa/1772458947.html

nukid68

Seaman Apprentice

Didn't spoil my mood any, I have the boat for free at least, just not sure how to get it titled. Don't want to put money in it and lose it cuz i cant title the boat. that would ruin my happy face for sure.
Jim

nukid68

Seaman Apprentice

Well, if anyone wants my starcraft, come and get it. I need the garage emptied out, and I am on part-time hours so I can't fix it. You will need trailer of course, and I will have to write a bill of sale, so to speak for Indiana rules to get title. (I checked at the motor vehicle office here) Of course if one offered a donation for my time would not be refused...Oh, I will redo the wood framing for the seats because the material is in great shape.

Maybe next year or tax time I can start again. Thanks for all the info and help offered, I will continue to review here and hope to participate in water fun times some day soon.