I Need a lil help with low oil alarm on precision blend 130hp yamaha

quikstang347

Seaman Apprentice
Ok I have spent days reading and testing everything that has been posted on here about the precision blend system. I am very mechanically inclined and have not found the issue yet . here is the sympton

Just purchased a flats boat and it runs great i have no issues at all . after a few moments i decided to rev it up and get her moving. it ran great , after about 3-5 mins of 3/4 throttle it lost power and alarms went off. i thought great i blew it up . turned the key off waited a few seconds turned it back on and walla it started and we continued on. keeping an eye on it i thought it was an overheating issue . so having no knowledge of the maintenance of the boat i brang it home pulled the lower unit installed a new impeller. removed the heads and descaled the water jackets, (they were like new) . installed new head gaskets and continued. thought i had it whipped. took it out again and the same thing happened only above 3/4 throttle . this time i noticed that the oil was showing low on the yamaha digital tach (no buttons) turned the key off back on and good again. when i got home i checked the filter for the inhull tank. checked the operation of the pump by removing the oil tank sensor on the engine , alarm works pump works. no matter what i do it will not read full oil , even if i pull sensor and manually move the sensor to read full. the gauge still reads yellow . just removed the tank in the hull (remote) and flushed it checked the sensor and no luck again. i did notice tha the sensor in the remote tank when removed was below a c clip and did not have much room for travel. everything operates and functions well. i just need it to show full oil on the gauge . any help will be much appreciated.

the engine is a 1996 s130trlu
yamah precision blend intact and functioning.
no issues other than the alarm . oil tank is always full just not reading full

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: I Need a lil help with low oil alarm on precision blend 130hp yamaha

apperently you need to re read.
yellow indicate has NOTHING to do with any alarm.
yellow lamp indicates either low oil level in the remote tank or a break in the black or black red wire to the remote tank.
if the yellow lamp is lit automatic oil transfer is inhibited and NO automatic oil transfer is allowed.
SWB,remote tank switch, is normally closed when oil level is sufficient for automatic transfer, open it and indicate goes from green to yellow.
the engine tank switchs DO NOT control yellow or green only red and alarm.
first find the cause of the yellow indicate.
if you have removed the screen and switch assy from the engine tank you may have created a problem.
always replace the seal between the engine tank and screen anytime its removed.
NEVER NEVER EVER remove the engine tank screen without FIRST draining the engine tank via the water trap.
otherwise ANY debris in the tank bottom can and will enter the engine oil pump intake and create issues.

quikstang347

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you rodbolt,

I guess i am after the easiest fix here. everything works well the only issue is the remote tank will not read full. I have checked everything that you have suggested and it all tests ok. with the exception of the the gauge reading full. when i turn the ignition on the gauge reads red after a few moments the gauge reads yellow and does not move from there. i am sure this is leading to the alarm as when the tank lowers in oil it throws the alarm when i turn it off then back on the gauge reads red allowing the pump to turn on and refill the engine tank. where should i start to trace the problem and how would i test the remote(hull) tank sensor since that is the sensor that seems to be the culprit.

one thing i did notice is that i removed the sensor form the remote tank and it is pretty straight fwd it has a float on it . there is a c clip that limits the float , the question is the clip is above the float only allowing it to move maybe 1" is the c clip supposed to be above or below the float below the float allows trave of the entire sensor neither way makes a difference on the gauge .
again thank you for the help it is much appreciated

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

remote tank switch, float up,continuity, float down open circuit.
red lamp is ONLY controled by SW3 which is the lowest float position on the ENGINE tank switch.
a quick test is to jump the red and red\black wires at the remote tank connector and see if the yellow changes to green.
if it doesnt find the open circuit between the black and grond or the blk\red to the green\white running to the tach. its also possible the oil control module is failing.
do a forum search on V4 precision blend.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Re read Rodbolt's post he said it maybe a bad switch or a bad wire.

Never mind I see Rodbolt has answered

quikstang347

Seaman Apprentice

PROBLEM SOLVED , Thank you RODBOLT it was your post that led me to the issue. It was a cut/broken wire (green/black) that went from the engine to the tach, couldnt see the problem it was hiding under some other wires. it is always something simple . thanks again for everyones help and input and thank you Rodbolt for hitting it on th ehead, just had to find the wire.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

good deal.
means I havent spent 7 years posting in swahili.
precision blend has been n the US since abot 1984 with 2 major varients on the v4 and 3 on the v6.
yet its the most missed section on the master tech exam and the system that kicks the most tech butt.