Is my truck big enough?

woody619

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,
I just got a new boat, and am worried my trucks not big enough. I have a 1979 27' Searay. On there website it says it's 5100 lb's. My truck is a 1999 Chevy 2500 8 cyl. The gross vehicle weight is 6,000/b. It says the GAWR rating is 6,000 lb's. I sure hope I don't need a bigger truck. Thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is my truck big enough?

Not enough info. What is your engine and axle ratio?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) and GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) have a bearing on towing they are only part of the considerations. Engine size, axle ratio, presence or absence of a towing package (brakes, proper hitch, auxiliary tranny cooler, heavy duty radiator, larger alternator & battery, etc.) are other more important considerations. GVWR is not the towing capacity limit. It is the total maximum allowable weight of the truck, it's occupants, load in the bed, and the tongue weight of the trailer. Gross axle weight ratings are the load carrying capacity of the front and rear axles. GVWR and GAWR are not the same. Heavy duty axles with lighter springs means the GVWR will be far less than the combined capacity of the axles. Boat weight is also dry weight. Adding fuel, coolers, toys, and gear must be added.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Most of the newer 1/2 tons will pull that. Your good with the 2500.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Most of the newer 1/2 tons will pull that. Your good with the 2500.
Depends. In 1999 a 3/4T could have a tow rating as low as 6500# depending on what engine/axle it had.

woody619

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay, i have a little more information... It's 5.7l, 3/4 ton... I believe based on what I see online it's has a axle ratio of 3.73... thanks

I'd be more concerned about how up-to-task your brakes are for stopping a 5,500lb boat. Get that thing on the highway when no one else is around, and jam on the brakes at 65mph and see how comfortable you feel.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

If Sea Ray says the boat is 5100 lbs, add another 1000 for the trailer and at least another 1000 for fuel, galley crap, anchors, fresh water etc. I'd bet you're close to 8000 ready to go play. That being said, a K2500 w/3.73's and a 5.7 will pull it OK weight wise. What will get you is the aerodynamic drag that big Ray will have sitting way up on the trailer. It'll feel like 10,000 lbs. back there. Don't expect it to rocket to 60 mph and keep your gas card handy. I see 6 mpg in your future...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Woody look in the glove box and look for the letters GS3 or GT8 on the sticker with all the three letter codes. GS3 are 373 and GT8 are 410......

The 410 ratio is rated much higher. I have a regular cab 95 K2500 and my tow rating is 11,000 with 4.10 gears and heavier springs. Tow ratings for short bed are lower.....

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

if your gvwr is 6000 then you have the light duty 3/4 which is very close to a 1/2 ton.... I bet you have 6 lug axles instead of 8 lug.... The heavy 3/4 has an 8600 lb gvwr After you add for the weight of the fuel and gear don't forget the weight of the trailer..... what you need to know is the tow capacity of your rig and the ACTUAL weight of your trailer and boat.... you also should measure the tongue weight... Next when you look at the tow capacity you will see that for max rating you will need a weight distributing hitch and you will need to verify that the hitch is also rated that high. Next is trailer brakes... they are absolutely needed for that load. You also need to look at your tires... I HIGHLY suggest an e load rated tire and they need to be in good shape..... a blowout in the rear of a single rear wheel truck with that kind of load can be real bad in a hurry

For tow capacity call your local gm dealer and give them your vin number.... they will tell you the capacity.

For weight of the boat take it to a truck stop and weigh it.... If they aren't busy unhook on the scale with the jack on a different pad than the tires... pull your truck off and get the weight.... you will then have total weight, and real close to the correct tongue weight and axle weight

83Evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd bet you're close to 8000 ready to go play

I would guess this is pretty close as well, but the only way you will know for sure is to weigh it. Take it to a truck scale loaded with fuel, water and all your gear and find out.

marcortez

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd be more concerned about how up-to-task your brakes are for stopping a 5,500lb boat. Get that thing on the highway when no one else is around, and jam on the brakes at 65mph and see how comfortable you feel.

Ditto that Caveman......

An old Toyota 4 banger will get that boat rolling on flat ground.....
But ya gotta stop it sooner or later......
3/4 ton PU brakes are larger than 1/2 tons.

krakatoa

Senior Chief Petty Officer

CMON GUYS!!!!! 8 cilinders?? You`re good to go my friend. Forget about any scientific method and average and ratios and and and ......and so on.... go boating!!!!!!

crw1957

Seaman

I had a 1986 Ford F-250 with a big V-8. I pulled a 1988 Pro-Line 23 foot Cuddy. It weighed 6000 trailer gear and all things aboard to fish. I also had a Coachman 8 foot cab over truck camper on the truck while pulling the boat. I had that rig for 5 years without a single problem. Hook her up, drive careful and have fun!

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nothing to it but to do it. If it doesn't work then it will make another great thread (as long as everyone is save and ok).

I know I was freaking out the first time I launched my first boat. I have a $31,000 new truck hooked to a $3,000 boat and its 2ft away from the edge of Lake Erie :eek:. Good luck.

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer

worst case ...... do a trailer brake conversion and throw a brake controller in the cab of the truck .... no worries ( except the as mentioned gas mileage ) much cheaper than a new truck ..... go tow the new boat to the water and enjoy.

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer

Too small. The boat is 5100 dry - add oil, fuel, everyone in the truck, all your gear, and the trailer; you're probably at or over 7000 true towing weight.
A 350 and 3.73 gears is not a good package to tow that much weight. As said before you probably have the smaller brake pkg too. If you have a hydroboost instead of a vac brake booster you might have the 3/4 ton brakes. Or check the glove box for the build codes, see what you have.
Too much liability too. If you cause an accident and they add up the weight, check your truck's capacity, you're in deep.