Need help identifying an old Johnson!

Faithful to Him

Recruit
-There is a number stamped on the inside back of the boat, near the engine 1453 36361

-The coin shape you have referenced to on the engine is AC-5000 with a 40 above it and outside the circle is stamped 307416

-The cover on the engine says 40 Super Sea-Horse

-There was one other number stamped on the engine 377113

-The boat is white with maroon trim. There is a green/teal boomerang shape around the light on the bow.

I would like to fix this boat up to its original condition but have no idea where to begin! Any help would be appreciated! Hope that helps.

God bless,
~Michelle

milmat1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Need help identifying an old Johnson!

I can't answer your question but I'm also starting my first boat "Fixer-upper" And trying to find info.. Good Luck with your project...

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

If it's a 40hp Super Seahorse, then it would be 1960 or newer. I belived they called them Super Seahorses throughout the 60's.

If you look under the front cowl and in between the transom clamps, or on the side of one of the transome clapms, you should see a black plate with model and serial numbers on it. The model number will determine the year.
RD-22, RDE-22 RDS-22 I believe would be the numbers for the 60 model and the numbers go higher in the following years. If you have compression releases on the head, then you'll know it's a 60 or 61.:cool:

BTW, welcome to iBoats.:D

Faithful to Him

Recruit

Oh my goodness! I would never have seen that plate! This boat had been abandoned in the desert for over 15 yrs when I got it! That plate looked like a solid piece of dirt! LOL!!!

The model # is RDS 22 C and serial # is 132031 So what year is it officially?! A 1961?

You are truly a God send! Thanks for your help!
:D
Michelle

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Cool, so it is the older model with the compression releases on the heads. This model is basically just an upgraded version of the older 35's. The size of the bore, is about the only difference. They built lots of them and parts are still relatively easy to find. Here are many good sources:

sea-way.com
outboard-parts.com
laingsoutboards.com
tcoutboard.com
fairwindsmarina.com
salvagemarine.com
marinepartsoutlet.com
outboardexchange.com
Superior Marine (800-338-9281)
budgetboats.net
americanoutboard.com
piratemarinesalvage.com
trixieslanding.com
mmmarinesalvage.com
tcoutboards.com

These places will have new and/or used parts, so take your pick. If you decide to tinker with it and get it tuned up, I would suggest reading through the "Top Secret File" in the first thread of this forum. There's a lot of good info there to awake a sleeping outboard and good repair tips too.:cool:

Faithful to Him

Recruit

Thanks for the catalog and the great web sites! The catalog was an exact match to the boat. You guys have been GREAT! My husband, myself, and our three kids plan on fixing this boat up as a family and doing as much as we can ourselves! It is going to be our weekend project.

Thanks for your help!

Michelle:D

Last edited:

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

You betcha. Glad to help. There's a lot of good helful people here too. Some have already had their morning coffee and hit the lakes.:D

tootallofwa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Look at the "Top secret files" post in this section for lots of "how to"
pointers.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yep, I told him that in my second post.:D:D:D

The moderators of this site, worked hard to put it together and it's a good read, for those who just picked up a new motor and want to learn about what makes it tick.