putting a boat back in service

tigershark1

Recruit
I am an L-1 mechanic in the auto industry and i am no marine tech. I have a 1989 Sea ray boat that belongs to my grandfather. This man had more money then he knew what to do with. This boat was purchased when I was a little kid and has seen the lake about 4 times. It has less than 400 hours on it. It has been in a covered and closed garage for many years. I started fixing all of his toys about a year ago. After fixing 3 jet skies, one model A car and several old cars. I have now gotten to the Sea ray boat. So I pulled the engine cover and found that the engine looks brand new. This thing does not have one paint chip missing off of it. Looks like it just got installed. So I started with the basic. I made a least of things to do and need to find out if there is anything else that somebody can recommend. I have new plugs and points, I am rebuilding the crab because one of my uncles has screw it up adjusting the screws and it has set so long, I also will be installing new filters and fuel pump, and purchased a new battery for it. After talking to my grandfather he said my uncles took the boat out and said it kept dyeing on them so they pulled the thermostat out to make it run longer. I don?t get that but I?m not a boat tech. The other thing I was told that if you wot to fast it would fall on its face but if you slowly apply it then it will work fine. I figured it had to do with all the screw being adjusted to god knows what. So before I get to far in and over my head is there anything else that somebody can suggest to do or give advice on what I POSTED.

crazyinkc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: putting a boat back in service

I would drain the outdrive and do an impeller first thing. It siounds like it may have been getting hot on the uncles and they pulled the t-stat to try and help get more water flow through the motor. I would do bellows before taking it to the lake if hasn't had them done lately. A broken shift bellowes can sink a boat. Sounds like a carb rebuild is in order too. Read the stickys at the top of the forum. Sounds like a nice boat. Maybe you will get the baot bug by working on it. ;)

Darren J

Cadet

What engine size?

I was in the same boat. Purchased an 89 Invader 3.0L stored for 15 years. Get ready to replace A LOT of parts. All rubber hoses, sterndrive water pump, fuel lines, drive belts, bellows, solenoids, points, cap, rotor etc. You will have to re-lubricate and adjust everything following the maintenance schedule and then some. Not trying to discourage you but if you skimp out it will bite you in the behind while you are on the water.

tigershark1

Recruit

Thanks for the info. Don't want to sink the boat. Yes it looks like it rolled off the showroom floor. I just need to knock all the dust off of it.

RepoMan207

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's a typical engine with an altered cooling system. Everything that matters when it comes to the motor itself is all the same.

Check your hoses for cracks and what not, I would change out the oil & lubes as well, but many may say different.

Double check your bellows for dry rot and cracks. The impeller comes to mind as well.....so many years without use; they're only rubber after all.

I would say your uncle may have had an issue with stale gas. Pump it off and get some new go go juice & filters.

Good luck.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... We can help more if you tell Us what the Drive,+ Motor are...

tigershark1

Recruit

All I know is it is a 1989 Sea Ray boat. It has a 3.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1 engine. To everybody thanks for the help so far I will look at all of these things just to make sure. If anybody else knows anything then please inform me.