Vaseline?

bacafrog

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Vaseline?

I used the vaseline on my boat. It didn't last long. It took away the chalky look, but did not blend the faded colors very well. The rain washed away everything on the top. The bottom is starting to show signs of chalk showing back up, and it has only been in the water once for about 20 minutes since the vaseline was applied. We rubbed it on, let it stand for 24 hours, and wiped it off. It looked fantastic while it was still on there, but after we wiped it off it did not shine as much.

I am starting to think the vaseline has to be applied when it is in liquid form, when it is very sunny outside, and I think it depends on what gel-coat the manufacturer used. This is just my .02 cents of what we saw.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

I shot 4 wet coats of ppg 2021 on mine (2 wet coats, let cure, scuffed and two more wet coats), block / wetsanded it down with 1000, 1500 to 2000 grit and then buffed it out with meguires diamondcut 85 and it looks like wet glass...

skargo

Banned

I shot 4 wet coats of ppg 2021 on mine (2 wet coats, let cure, scuffed and two more wet coats), block / wetsanded it down with 1000, 1500 to 2000 grit and then buffed it out with meguires diamondcut 85 and it looks like wet glass...

Now THAT is the way to do it!

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

I think the debate comes in when your talking money.

In my case, I own an orbital buffer, a dual action buffer, and have all the supplys to tackle buffing the boat out. The average person who doesn't have these products, and wants their boat to look presentable will probably not go out and buy hundreds of dollars worth of tools, polishes, waxes, towels etc...

If I had a boat I was not looking to spend money on (or not a lot that is) and wanted it to look good on the water, the vasoline is a great trick. I have some time, the tools and want to bring the shine back, which is why I bought the compounds and polishes and am going about it that way.

Neither way is right or wrong in my eyes, but they really aren't doing the same thing either. One is taking strides to restore the finish, the other is more or less being applied to give it a wet look for a period of time.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

agreed - it's all a matter of degrees. vaseline, axle grease, floor wax, etc... products like vertiglass, heavy waxes, etc.. all are just designed to fill the voids in porous oxidized gelcoat with something that will stay there for a while.

I bought the boat in question as a project and even though it's silver metal flake on black, it looked like gray chalk when I bought it - could not even see the flak on the top. I took a layer off with comet first.. then when that didn't do it, hit it with 320 on a da (lots of clear gel there) until I got rid of the majority of haze, then wetsanded up to 1500 grit and buffed it out with aquabuff 2000 (amazing stuff for cutting gelcoat and water soluble washes right off and has nothing in it that will interefere with paint) and it looked good for a while with wax. after a couple of buffings and so forth, I got tired of nickelt and diming it and having it just get hazy again so I completely stripped everything off the hull (ie removed instruments, controls, deck hardware, etc, etc, etc..), wetsanded all of the oxidized and slightly yellowed clear gel off with 400, degreased it over and over, washed with por-15 mariune clean and shot paint on it.

I went overkill on it because I'm thinking about repairing some scuffs on the front bumper of my corvette and then doing a custom paint job on my daughters first car so I wanted to practice on something to see how well I could do with good paint (ppg 2021 is over 300 a gallon for a kit, but is what several friends said they would use if they were doing their favorite car...), a $10 harbor freight gun and a makeshift paint booth made by hanging plastic sheeting from the ceiling in the garage. I put MANY hours into prep and then colorsanding and buffing, not to mention disassembling and reassembling everything.

I am amazed at the results - easily the best gloss I've ever been able to come close to with a paint job and every bit as shiny as my later model corvette. The paint ended up as hard as nails - if you don't get it sanded and buffed out in the first day or so, it sands like granite... I would highly recommend this route if you want to go all out on a boat (or car), don't be afraid to try it yourself even if you have limited experience.

so it's all a matter of degrees, how bad it looks to start with, how much time and money you want to spend, how good you want it to look and how long you want it to look good... to each his own.

that being said, I'm getting ready to tackle a fishing boat project. In the places it will NEED to be painted after some repairs, I'll just rough it up, put a coat of epoxy primer on it and bury it in cheap rustoleum or valspar tractor paint with a little isocyanate hardener added for good measure... see you on the water :)

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

It works.....it may not be for everyone, but if you have an older boat, and don't want to spend a lot of money and time keeping it looking nice.....its the product to use.

To each his own.....

worked great for my 1986 boat!:cool:- very little cost or effort-:D
can you see the shine in my avatar pic???

Floatsum

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Guess I'll go ahead with the vaseline.
Only doing the top & deck of a 18' CC Parker.
All off-white. Got to be a improvement.
Planning on selling around July anyways.

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've never heard of such a thing until now. I've seen vasoline used to protect chrome during winter storage though.
I've noticed, by rubbing the oily area on the bridge of my nose with my finger and appling it to a small spot on the color stripe on the tull, that it made a difference, as did armorall.
I'll give it a try.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Gave my boat a Coat of Vaseline last night. Removed the Excess and letting it bake in the AZ Sun for a day before I do a Final Buff.

My boat has no Oxidation so I'm trying to go for that Wet Shiney Look.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oh I also ArmorAll the Tires with Tire Shine. :D

You will need a Pair of sun Glasses to look at my Boat. :cool:

204 Escape

Ensign

What is the Oxidation Removal kit ?? (I'm dumb, I guess). Who makes it, what is in it, and what is the cost??