Foot control trolling motors

geedubcpa

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have been looking at the foot controlled trolling motors - some of them have wireless remote and some have a longer wire on the foot pedal controller.

It will be mounted on the front of my boat.

Any recomendations? I am not sure what brand is a good value plus reliable.

I don't want to spend 700-800 bucks and get junk.

Thanks for any input.

rndn

Commander
Re: Foot control trolling motors

I can only comment on my fairly new Minn Kota Terrova with auto pilot. It has a wired foot pedal that is long enough for me to run the motor while I'm in the rear of my boat. It also has an available remote to go wireless and the nice thing about the Terrova is that you can still use your foot pedal if you choose which is not available on the power drive. My 55# 12v 54" shaft sold for a little over $900 new. There is also a new option that incorporates a GPS into the motor which allows the unit to "anchor you in a 10 foot circle just unsing your trolling motor and will also track back along a previously recorded track I think up to 2 miles long.
I have been able to troll for several hours on 1 deep cycle and love the motor.

John_S

Rear Admiral

Most professional and avid bass fishermen still prefer the cable drive type foot control. It provides better feedback/contol of knowing where the motor is pointed vs the elec wired or wireless powered steering versions.

Myself, fish for bass and other species, and do not like being tied down to the bow. I have a MG Wireless, but the remote foot control has been stored away. I use two keyfobs, which makes it nice that "the other guy" can always take over when you are occupied. The downside is that powerdrive type trollers, seem to have a higher incedence of repair.

augnmike

Cadet

rndn, I too have been looking at the unit you bought. I bowfish with my set up so am constantly in very shallow water so I need fast response from my foot control. Is the response from the long cable foot control pretty good or does it delay?

rndn

Commander

rndn, I too have been looking at the unit you bought. I bowfish with my set up so am constantly in very shallow water so I need fast response from my foot control. Is the response from the long cable foot control pretty good or does it delay?

There is no delay with the foot pedal. As soon as you hit it with your foot is starts moving ASAP. The autopilot is also a great feature that will keep your boat moving in the compass direction you've set. It's a little bit more for the option but I feel for my type of fishing it was well worth it. If I were to do it again I would have also bought the fish finder option. It comes pre-installed with a transducer for most fish finders. That said I'm going to install a fish finder on it myself which won't be too much trouble.

chevydan04

Cadet

I have a problem w/ my power drive v2 foot control. I took the thing apart and found that they use a strip that has two magnets one on each side of the circuit board. The strip wore out and no long allowed me to use the 1-10 variable speed selection.

That is something to keep in mind when shopping for motors.

In the future I will by a saltwater bow mounted 24 volt hand operated trolling motor and get a extension handle for it. You can pick those up for around $900

rndn

Commander

I have a problem w/ my power drive v2 foot control. I took the thing apart and found that they use a strip that has two magnets one on each side of the circuit board. The strip wore out and no long allowed me to use the 1-10 variable speed selection.

That is something to keep in mind when shopping for motors.

In the future I will by a saltwater bow mounted 24 volt hand operated trolling motor and get a extension handle for it. You can pick those up for around $900

The Terrova's are built totally different than the power drive. A much better unit and well worth the few extra bucks.