Is this merc a 2 or 4 stroke

bluismycat

Recruit
Am looking at buying a 5.02m Streaker with a 1992 Merc 115 hp. It has an oil sump inside the cowl and uses unleaded fuel. the question is which oil should I put in the sump? Is this motor a 2 or 4 stroke?

jevery

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Is this merc a 2 or 4 stroke

92 Model would be a 2 stroke. I don't think Merc produced a 4 stroke 115 until about 2001. Is it a tank under the cowl?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

welcome to iboats. don't take this the wrong way, but there's a lot you have to know to be a safe and successful boater. If you are looking at buying a boat, you need to know a lot about what you are looking at, and being told, and what questions to ask and how to evaluate the answers.
Then you have to know how to operate, store/moor and maintain the boat.
Rather than learning in small pieces from strangers far away, get an experienced boater you know to help you. Starting off alone and totally green usually has poor results and often bad consequences.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

That tank under the cowl is the two stroke oil resevoir and it requires any two stroke oil labeled TCW-3. A four stroke is like your car -- it has the oil resevoir inside the engine and there is a dipstick on the block as well as a separate cap at the top of the engine to add four stroke oil. The real tip off however is a four stroke has an oil filter just like a car. Two strokes do not. Four strokes are usually stated by a decal on the side of the engine cover. I generally agree that if you don't know whether an engine is a two stroke or four stroke by looking at it, then you really need a helping hand every step of the way regarding not only the boat purchase, but to help ensure you don't buy something you don't need, don't know how to handle, or perhaps does not have features you really want. You can get into a lot of trouble with a boat. Get educated and by all means take a boater safety course.