Stabilizing a bimini

trobinson017

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi fellow boaters!

I normally boat with my bimini stored in the upright, angled position using rear braces to keep it at about a 45 deg. angle. When I'm cruising at mid to high speeds the whole bimini unit violently shakes left-right-left-right. This has caused the screws that hold the mounting locks to come loose. One even ripped right out of the gunwale! I've reinforced those points but I would like to know if anyone has found a way to stabilize the entire bimini unit so the shaking doesn't happen. Maybe some sort of cross-beam piece or some other, additional bracing? I'd like to keep it in this upright position for several reasons rather than just disconnect the rear braces and lay it down toward the stern.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Stabilizing a bimini

I've seen biminis with a third rear brace going from one of the upper side mounting points to the center of the transom. This stops the shaking but blocks access to that corner of the boat.

robert graham

Admiral

My bimini does that at speed or on a windy day, so far hasn't torn anything up but it will get your attention, usually just slow down or let the bimini top down. Maybe some well-placed bungee cords might help? Good Luck!

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

My new boat has one of these one it to stabilize it. I'm sure other aftermarket bars must exist.

Here's a sample pic of one. It's the curved armature that you see on the back of the bimini.

Attachments

• hurricaneboat.jpg
    hurricaneboat.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 1
  • hurricaneboat2.jpg
    hurricaneboat2.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Knot a yacht

Recruit

I had the same problem and tig welded all the connections. (except 2 to remove) This made it very rigged and reduced the jarring at the base