Warning Horn/Key-Switch Electrical Issue-Trim/Tilt too!

Hey guys,
Having some electrical issues on my 1990 Stratos w/ an Evinrude 200XP(1990). The main issue started when the trim/tilt went out randomly. The warning horn (right next to the key-switch) started making random scratchy noises, like it was shorting, then the motor would kill and all power would be lost to the motor including the trim. Typically it would come back randomly. This time she's out for good. We were heading out on the water to troubleshoot this issue. It started right away. Horn made scratchy noises, then turned to a solid beeeeep. We shut off the motor because it was so obnoxious, and the power never came back. I know it's a faulty horn warning because everything is in check (ie. oil level, temp, etc.)

So I am wondering if the warning horn serves as a fuse of sorts. In that if it is shot, the ignition system is shorted. On the water I tested the temp. overheat wire by grounding it to the block and didn't get a beep like it usually does. Should I be looking at replacing the horn?? Thanks in advance for your thoughts guys! Tournament season is right around the corner!! :)

-Aaron

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: Warning Horn/Key-Switch Electrical Issue-Trim/Tilt too!

sounds like a short in the control box or wiring harness.

Thanks for your feedback. So, does a horn complete the circuit like a fuse does? The horn is out, and so is the power. I feel like the horn is to blame. What do you think?

SparkieBoat

Captain

the horn operates on a grounded wire..some how the horn wire is getting grounded, and probably some other wires as well.

well, back to troubleshooting again today. i was fiddling with the lanyard button, then all the power came back. then with the lanyard off, the motor started. so the lanyard is obviously not doing it's job (don't know if it ever worked though, never tested prior).

As far as i understand, the lanyard (disconnected) will only prevent the motor from turning over. it won't prevent trim/tilt and warning horn operation. correct??

i'm seeking out a shorted wire somewhere, god knows where to start....damn electrical toubles...

SparkieBoat

Captain

start at the beginning...test your harness with an OHM meter, check wiring in your motor, then check key switch, got to be in one of those 3 locations. and (lanyard) kill switch only effects the ignition system, engine will turn over but not crank when the lanyard is not connected. just ask any boater who has spent 30 mins at the landing trying to crank motor and is #@!$%&^*#@! up a storm only to realize the lanyard was disconnected...LOL

Hey Sparkie, thanks for following up. I didn't make too much progress yesterday, but plan to tackle the issue again today. I tested the two relays in the engine (trim/tilt relays I believe) and had mixed results. I think one relay is for UP and one is for down. Not sure how both could be bad. I will have to double check these today with a helper to perform properly. Right now all signs are pointing towards a fault in the trim system. The power loss seems to occur when I use the trim buttons on the motor, or up front by the troller (toggle switch). It simply cuts out all power. Not sure how that ties in with the main ignition power loss....

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Check your battery cable ground at the engine, then clean all of the connections and replace. Inspect the connections at the large red plug.

Be sure to disconnect the battery while making ohm tests; a little voltage in the wrong place will fry your rectifier or powerpack, not to mention your mutimeter.

It's very common for the lanyard piece on your kill switch to weaken causing the switch to partially close; you may need to replace the lanyard.

The horn basically stands alone but is connected to all of the warning system components through the harness. If you have static on the line, it's probably from a leak to ground on the tan wire, somewhere in the harness, possibly in the red plug.

http://www.maxrules.com/graphics/omc_pics/REMCONTBOX.jpg

Fuses OK?

Alright, results of a few test indicate (2) bad relays in the engine compartment for the trim/tilt. tests failed in both volt and ohm. part # 0582472 for reference.

but what i am trying to understand is how both could be bad, and how this causes the entire power supply to fail. how does the trim/tilt intertwine with the ignition? thoughts?? Thanks guys.

p.s. i will also look into the tan wire grounding, possibly explaining the false warning horn.

SparkieBoat

Captain

I am not so sure that your relays are your problem,if they are shorting out it should blow your engine fuse. so unless the fuse is bypassed, I do not think it is your issue, the horn going off could be a coincidence with your horn going bad or it could be a sign of a short somewhere. check your engine fuse, make sure you have one and that it is not bypassed.

thanks for the tips Sparkie! the engine fuse is there and in good shape. will be installing 2 new relays in a few moments here ($40 grrr). i don't know that they're the problem either, but i hope it fixes it! but, chances are they won't, so my next question is:

Where do the trim/tilt electrical wires connect with the ignition and main power supply?? The reason i ask is because the horn, power supply, trim, ignition, etc. are all affected by this issue. do they all meet up in the remote control box? somehow they are all being affected, so they must meet somewhere... thanks for any pointers guys.

SparkieBoat

Captain

the T&T wiring is totally separate from your engine wiring snake. Tilt and trim power should come from the power post on the solenoid I think. then through the fuse..make sure your tilt and trim power wire has not bypassed the fuse. should be a thick red wire going to the relays..I think..I will take a look at mine and see how it routes tomorrow. you need to do some ohm testing to find your short. Ezeke mentioned a possible problem in the big red plug. it is possible and should be checked.

well you were right Sparkie, the relays didn't fix the problem...grr only replaced them because they failed the test, but it seems that wherever this problem is, its probably affecting the relays. Not sure where to look next but will keep on testing wires. it would be a lot easier if just the trim or power was out. but both being out just doesn't make sense. i'll post back with results. thanks guys!

jonesg

Admiral

I had a loose ignition switch that spun around when I was turning the key to on, it caused some of the same trouble.

Unplug the main harness and try the tilt from the engine end.
If it works then the problem is from the red plug fwd.

Spray the harness plug with elec cleaner, the prongs get green crap on them and build up resistance.

holy ***** Jones, that worked! with the red harness disc. the trim works on the engine! going to keep at it here!

alright, things are improving! with the harness reconnected, the trim now still works. in addition, the primer clicks when i press the key in. what i don't have is power to the starter. will run some DV tests here to double check the power supply. maybe the relays did help or the the red harness is finicky.

i do have a suspicion about the lanyard clip. wondering if there is an easy way to bypass the killswitch to test whether it's working or not?? in previous tests, we had power through the red plug with or without the lanyard on.... looking to bypass it temporarily to see if that's the culprit.

well gentleman, i believe i have er fixed! ::sigh of relief:: appears to have been a combination of the red power harness being a tad loose (this brought back the trim/tilt) and mainly the lanyard kill-switch. i disconnected the lanyard and boom, power! i will of course replace it with a good one for safety. but for now, i think a weekend on the water is in order!

a big thanks to all of you for your help! i will post back with an update if anything changes. cheers!

jonesg

Admiral

if you don't post back we'll call the coast guard.:p