Lightwin 3hp Carb Valve Packing/Packing Washer

rcspott

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks again for all the help. Are the "Speed Needle Valve Packing" and the "Speed Needle Packing Washer" the exact same small red fiber washer that comes in the rebuild kit. Don't have anything else left in the kit that would work. There are two rubber O-rings but they are too big, just assuming they are for some other carb.

Thanks,

Rich

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lightwin 3hp Carb Question Again

The packings are a soft material. The backup washers are a hard plastic. The washers protect the packings from being munched by the packing nut.

rcspott

Seaman Apprentice

I think I my have got the wrong kit. No hard plastic washers or soft washers. About 7 red fiber washers. It is a Sierra Marine 18-7043.

Is that the correct kit number for Sierra Marine?

Thanks

Rich

rcspott

Seaman Apprentice

FR
On Tom's site, the one where he details the 3 and 5.5 Evinrude/Johnson tune ups he says about the 5.5

"Install Packing Washers and Nuts for High and Slow Speed Needles

Insert two red packing washers into the high and slow speed needle holes. As the packing nut is tightened, these washers will expand and form an air tight seal around the high and slow speed needles. They will create needed friction for these needles so they will hold their adjustments."

Has there been a change in the kit? Looked up my kit number and it appears to be correct. My carb did have thicker value packing and a plastic packing washer on top.

I know this is for the 5.5 but the two carbs look identical and uses the same rebuild kit number.

rcspott

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Lightwin 3hp Carb Valve Packing/Packing Washer

bump

Would still like to know if you need to use a plastic washer and packing washer or 2 red fiber washers will work for sealing High/Low valves.

Thanks,

Rich

kbait

Commander

Fiber washer first in, then plastic. Same for each needle.

kbait

Commander

Not sure about the 'red'. Last kit I used had tan colored cork-looking packing washers. I usually just use #47 truValue o-rings.. Which coincidentally also work for the fuel shut-off valves on those old 3's.

rcspott

Seaman Apprentice

I found some packing washers on ebay, any suggestions where I can find the plastic washers.

Thanks

Rich