Trailer connection problem = very complicated

zach103

Commander
I have a 2000 ford f150 .. i have the stock tow package with the 4 pin trailer hook up.. now i have a landscape trailer with brakes.. so i want to hook up the 6 pin.. now i thought i had all the connections right but i was having trouble with the lighting.. . now when the trailer wasn't hooked up the my running lights would not turn on.. than when the trailer was hooked up the running lights would turn on when i hit the brakes.. so i moved a few wires.. the running lights still dont turn on but they dont turn on when i hit the brakes so i fixed that part.. but now my trailer brakes are on all time.. anyone have any idea??

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trailer connection problem = very complicated

Trial and error is not the best way to do this.; blown fuses or worse can result.

If your truck is not pre-wired for electric brakes, you will have to run new wires for that part of the wiring hook up. The brake controller should come with instructions on how to hook it up.

You could leave the four pin connector on the truck. Just splice new wires from that wiring harness over to the new connector. Follow wiring diagrams for the 4 pin and the new connector to make sure you get the wires in the correct spots.

zach103

Commander

i left the four pin in.. theres a connection under the bed that it goes into.. now i can buy one for a 6 pin but i need the four pin all the time.. so i spliced it into that connection.. I got the brake controller from a guy i work with so i have no instrucktions but i bought a adapter kit that goes from controller into the truck.. but the controller has 4 wires and the truck end has 5 with the extra wire being brown

the connection from the truck has the blue wire for the trailer brakes

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I don't know you and I have VERY little to go on to decide which way to suggest you go so please don't take offense...

this isn't even slightly complicated for someone with a good understanding of automotive electrical wiring..... You are very possibly in over your head.... the brake controller has 4 connections +,-, brake signal(from the switch) and brake output (to the trailer)

First step is to undo EVERYTHING you have done so far.... no need to splice ANYTHING in the factory harness ... Most auto parts stores sell trailer plugs with both 4 flat and rv 7 round (my preference) or 4 flat and 6 round.... On the back of the outlet is a 4 flat connection and a ground, a positive, and a brake connection

Often much can be saved by a DIY aproach but when you start blindly cutting and connecting you might find that you can save MUCH more by seeking professional help

Post up on whether this is making sense or if your eyes are glazing over and we'll go from there

zach103

Commander

i undid everything and i still have no interior or sidemarker lights.. i checked every single fuse and check all the wires that we spliced into and i dont see anything wrong..

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

well either you missed something or you have done some damage... ie burned something up.... Fuses under the hood? fusible link?

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

Here's a wiring diagram so you can figure out the trailer brake controller
http://www.etrailer.com/faq-brakecontroller.aspx

Now, get a wiring kit for the six pin you need. Then purchase a 6 to 4 pin adapter.

I did basically the same thing with my '01 Suburban. I have the stock 7 seven pin for when I pull a trailer with brakes and an adapter for my boat trailer.

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

give me an email adress i can send you the wiring diagrams for the marker light / turn signal lights. most of the lights are ran through the multifunction switch even the marker lights. let me know i can send them to you

I think Ford uses either a tan wire or a tan wire w/white stripe for parking/markers at the switch

zach103

Commander

i tried the etrailer one... i gave up on the 6 pin hook up for now and im just trying to figure out why the lights wont turn off... like stated above im back to ground zero all the wires are fine and all the fuses are fine that we can see .. i have the haynes book with all the diagrams

crap forgot the email rule... ill pm you]

NYBo

Admiral

i tried the etrailer one... i gave up on the 6 pin hook up for now and im just trying to figure out why the lights wont turn off... like stated above im back to ground zero all the wires are fine and all the fuses are fine that we can see .. i have the haynes book with all the diagrams

just send me waht you have xxxxxxx@yahoo.com
A moderator will be along shortly to remove you e-mail address because they aren't allowed in the forums.

Does your pickup use a lighting control module (LCM) like their late models cars do? If so, be very careful monkeying with the wiring. A mistake could blow out the LCM to the extreme detriment to your wallet.

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

This sounds unneccessarily complicated. The wires for lights already on your truck should be color coded. The new 6 or 7 pin plug should have instructions that use the same color coding method and tell you in which spot to put each color of wire. That leaves the trailer brake wires. Again, good instructions should help with that.

To leave yourself the option of still using the four pin system for a trailer without brakes, you can either permanently wire in both plugs or you can use an adapter that plugs into the six or seven pin plug. Either way is fine.

An essential tool for doing this type of work is a test light - the kind with an alligator clip at one end of the cord and a sharp probe at the end of the light.

jack gardner

Seaman Apprentice

hello simple sulution .go to ur local trailer dlr or auto store .u may purchase a plug in adapter that fits factory harness if factory equipped with trailr pkg it hould correct ur trailering problems .after u rewire what u inadvertently hooked up wrong . but ck ur bulbs they could ave brnt one element shorting to another causing ur problem that will drive u nuts

zach103

Commander

I ordered the plug n play last night with the adapter for the four pin.

Now your saying i should check the bulbs?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I have been holding out on you a little.... I hate to say this because it sounds like you likely don't know how to test... I would hate to see you spend money on an expensive part and have it turn out to be something simple BUT my gut feeling is that you burned out your multifunction switch .... It is HIGHLY unlikely that you burned out bulbs as they are designed to burn indefinately at 12 volts and all you have to work with is 12 volts.... multiple bulbs don't simultaniously burn out unless you overpower them. It is never bad to check them but don't get too carried away.... check one in a circuit that isn't working.. if it is good then you have bigger problems.

Go talk to your local dealership service dept... tell them what you did and ask them to give you an idea on price to troubleshoot.... When it comes time for parts source your own and save some money

zach103

Commander

well im working with a guy who knows cars because he used to build and race them so hes been testing them and what multifunctional switch could i be.. should i just use the digrams and see what the lights are running thru

Proselect

Petty Officer 1st Class

The multi-function switch is the switch which includes your turn signals(and handle, and sometimes cruise control is on these, however not so much on a ford), wiper swithes, and dimmer switch. All of your lights run through this unit that is why if you burned it out your lights won't work. I agree that this may be your problem. Either that or you still have missed some fuses. Are you aware that there are multiple fuse boxes on that truck?

zach103

Commander

we have checked the fuse box by my feet and the one inside the engine bay by the power steering.. now my scanners being dumb and i just wanna make sure with you guys..

theres multi function switch that runs to the left front park. instrumental. right front park. right stop/park/turn lamp and left stop/park/turn lamp

Now front what i can see that looks like its going to be the switch..

but theres a brn wire off the main light switch that goes to the left stop park, left front park, left tail, license lamps, right stop park. right front park. and right tail.. but there is no fuse or switchs after the main light switch

If you guys need to know any more i have the book right here and i can look it up

Just a thought: your truck doesn't have an aftermarket 'remote start' or alarm system does it? Those things are usually wired into the parking lights. It's possible that you burnt out the multifunction switch, but highly unlikley, in all my years working on Fords, I've only ever seen the turn signal or wiper part of it fail, never the parking lights that I remember. I hope I'm not stating the incredibly obvious, but did you check that brown wire for juice with the parking lights on?

Last edited:

zach103

Commander

I don't have any of the aftermarket things in the relay.

i checked the brown wire back at the connection under the bed for juice when the lights were on and got nothing.. ihad my boat trailer hooked up to the four pin and i have everything but the regular running lights.