205 Penta, floods really easily and hard to start

loco

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all!
I've got a Penta 205, when you crank it from cold it will kick in every time, but if you stop cranking too soon it'll stall and then is an absolute pig to start. We tried leaving it for a good half hour, then cranking with zero throttle and moving up. It doesn't even splutter.

The only way we've been able to get it started at this point is to literally hold the starter on and have it crank for an absolute age - maybe 1.5 - 2 minutes. This obviously isn't doing our starter or batteries any good.

Eventually it will kick in, thereafter, it runs absolutely fine with no problems. Starting it when it's warm is also fine.

Has anyone experienced this before? What could be causing this?
Also, does anyone know where I might find a service manual for this engine?

Many thanks in advance for all your help,

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: 205 Penta, floods really easily and hard to start

Service manuals are available to download at the top of the page. Has the carb been rebuilt recently?

loco

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Service manuals are available to download at the top of the page. Has the carb been rebuilt recently?

Thanks for the reply - I think the engine was rebuilt a couple of years ago, but it's been sat around quite a lot since and not done many hours. Do you think it would be worth rebuilding the carb?

Secondly, do the Stern drive manuals actually cover the engines too? I'm thinking I need this manual, but obviously am more interested in the engine side at this stage:
http://www.themotorbookstore.com/volpensterdr1.html

Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member

Do you think it would be worth rebuilding the carb?

Ayuh,... And concentrate on the Choke...
Secondly, do the Stern drive manuals actually cover the engines too? I'm thinking I need this manual, but obviously am more interested in the engine side at this stage:
http://www.themotorbookstore.com/volpensterdr1.html

Don't buy a Seloc, they're good for knee pads,+ little else...
Like Nutcase said,..
There's FREE manuals available for download in the Adults Only section at the Top of this forum...

captmello

Captain

can you be more specific about which engine, outdrive you have? You have an AQ205? V6? What model outdrive have you got? 270? 280?

There are separate manuals for engines and outdrives.;)

Chris2802

Recruit

Engine is a AQ205A V6, not sure of the series number of the outdrive, Duo-prop CD trim.

captmello

Captain

Your engine has a common Qjet carb with and electric choke that mounts to the side. When the engine is cold it should hold the top front butterfly closed for cold starting. Once the engine is running the butterfly should gradually open over a period of a few minutes.

Chris2802

Recruit

Thanks for the replies captmello. I have heard about the system you mention. Is it possible that it believes the engine has started so begins opening even though it's actually not running? The problem only occours when the engine has kicked over, but the key is released just fractionally too soon and it dies again. Is it possible to know the position of the choke from the outside by looking at the position of the servo/lever that controls it?

Edit, typos =)

captmello

Captain

you just need to remove the flame arrestor from the top of the carb. You can run the engine with it off.

If you find the choke to functions correctly, next time it won't start, pour about a 1/4 cup of gas down past the choke plate and see what happens. Sometimes these carbs will allow the fuel to drain back down to the pump or all the way to the tank leaving no fuel in the carb. Ask me how I know.:rolleyes: