99 ficht cold starting issue

tylerr83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
sorry in advance for the long post...I have a 99 evinrude ficht 225 with a cold starting problem....posted on this yesterday and got some good info....but i think i may have the problem narrowed down. i tried to start the outboard this morning on the trailer (after running it most of the day yesterday- started hard but then ran great the rest of the day) and it would barely turn over . battery voltage was a low...around 12.5. i had tested it yesterday after running the boat for a while and got 12.77 on both batteries. motor turned over very slowly. i know this motor needs quite a bit of battery power to start but i have had it start at lower voltage than 12.5. i know 12.5 is not a full charge but it should be enough to start this motor, right? i found on the solenoid postivie terminal from the battery that the connection was somewhat loose and the threads on the post looked damaged. when i crank the motor battery voltage drops to around 11. i've been told that as long as it doesn't drop over 2v that this is ok? i get 12.5 on the wire positive wire terminal at the solenoid so there isn't any voltage drop in that battery cable, but on the solenoid where i found the bad connection i only get 9.5 or less when cranking. This is the same on the positive terminal from the solenoid to the stater (between 9.3 and 9.5) and the same on the starter positive terminal. this connection was not bad on the solenoid the last time i checked it, so i think this may be the problem, since cranking has weakened since yesterday. i'm hoping that replacing the solenoid should solve the problem inexpensively. i'm also going to have the batteries load tested tomorrow. with the motor running i've gotten 13.77 on the batteries, so i know the motor is charging them as it should be but i've been told that they may be holding a "surface charge" but not have enough amps to turn the motor quickly enough to get spark. i dont see why they would be shot, they're only a year old but i have heard that the ficht motors are battery hogs. After researching on this and other forums i've seen there are quite a few other people having simlar trouble with these motors...if anyone has figured thier problems out and has any further input it would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
tyler

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 99 ficht cold starting issue

sounds about right as I asked yesterday cranking rpm is critical also if voltage available drops below 9.5 the emm can no longer process information properly.
Wayne

tylerr83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

replaced solenoid....motor still cranked very slowly, but fired right away and stalled. still cranking very weakly....going to have batteries load tested tomorrow....

tylerr83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

load tested batteries this morning. they are rated 880 cold cranking amps. got 700 on both batteries. i was told minimum for the motor to start is 650 amps. spoke with dealer/service center afterwards and they told me that there could be some power loss in the cable run from under the console to the motor and recommended that in addition to new batteries i move them further back towards the the motor. batteries are still under warranty from interstate, so i'm getting a free new pair today.