Bilge Pump

skargo

Banned
Re: Bilge Pump

come on children:rolleyes:

Do you really think your smart comment is helping anything? I find it insulting to be honest.

We are just hashing this out, keep your insults to yourself please. I'll see your :rolleyes: and raise you :rolleyes::rolleyes:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

the man already said he had a manual pump....

I could see all this if he had no pump at all... there are manual pumps out there that will move HUGE amounts of water

I never had a pump on my 12' alum with outboard... I could pull the plug while under way or use my bailing bucket while sitting still.

You are absolutely right about needing some method of dewatering a boat and his statements about when and where he goes are just as irrelevant as the so it never rains there stuff...... I certainly wasn't aiming at only you...

I'll see your :rolleyes::rolleyes: and edit in a:D... that makes it NOT an insult right?

DjKoKo

Seaman Apprentice

I am living proof (thank God I'm living) that a bilge pump is a MUST! We had to change a battery out before we left dock and got in a hurry. We didn't hook the bilge wire (which was poorly rigged to begin with) up correctly. Well 3 hours later, We were 1 1/2 mile of shore in 100' when we notice more water than normal in the back end of the boat. We tried to start the motor to go inshore but it was too late. The motor wouldn't start since it was starting to go under too. Less than 20 seconds later we were swimming in the Atlantic. Thankfully another boat saw us going down and pulled us out of that water. Let's see now. $2900 for Seatow to pull it inshore after pumping out the water and pulling it out of the water (the bow was the only thing still sticking out of the water), At least $500 in wiring, another $1500 in parts to rebuild the motor (still not done) all for one wire on the BILGE PUMP not working. Let see. I don't see myself EVER going on the water without a pump if not 2 and testing them as well!!!!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

good lesson to learn the hard way and glad you all are OK; what caused the boat to sink in the first place?
Others note: 20 seconds is about all you have when you notice the boat is sinking. I've seen it happen and was astounded--and educated--at how fast it went down and no time to grab a PFD, cell phone, flare, radio or worse, sleeping child.

Someone around here has a sig line to the effect of good judgment comes from experience, and experiences come from bad judgment.

dbuffington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks to all! Coming from a small boat background -- kayaks, canoes, open aluminum boats -- I've never really thought much about flooding. (Tipping, yes. Flooding, no.)

At any rate, the Whilrwind should have its own automatic bilge pump by the weekend. Thanks!

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

I took my boat out twice last weekend...it's first two trips ever. The second trip we cruised for a while and then stopped...I noticed a little water in the bottom of the boat. Plug was in and easy running, why would there be water?

I started the engine with the doghouse open and one of my hoses was just spraying water out...the hose clamp was just a little loose, and it was leaking a bit. A good bit. Bilge pump took care of the water.

Actually, when I pulled the boat out of the water, the bilge shot water all over the boat another guy was putting in on the other side of the dock. HA! ;)

skargo

Banned

This guy needs a few more.

abspic2.jpg