Bilge Pump

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: Why a Bilge Pump

My 14ft Glastron doesn't have a bilge pump. Just pointing out that not everybody uses one.

So you read all the other posts and posted this anyway? Hope you boat alone.

I'm with Philster- done.

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

So you read all the other posts and posted this anyway? Hope you boat alone.

I'm with Philster- done.

+1 with John and Philster and all others above with common boating sense.

Aqualift

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Bilge Pump

I guess I should have said I don't have an electric bilge pump. I do have a manual hand bilge pump.

Because, most of the time I boat alone. I have a small cheap boat. I don't leave it unattended on the water. I don't have to worry about wakes from other boats or rain. I boat on very small bodies of water. I routinely check for leaks. I store it properly.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

I guess I should have said I don't have an electric bilge pump. I do have a manual hand bilge pump.

Because, most of the time I boat alone. I have a small cheap boat. I don't leave it unattended on the water. I don't have to worry about wakes from other boats or rain. I boat on very small bodies of water. I routinely check for leaks. I store it properly.

just wondering if you keep a PFD onboard...cuz I bet you are a good swimmer as well....

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

nothing in the world wrong with a manual bilge pump on a small open boat.... Still pretty silly to encourage someone with a leaky powerboat to believe a bilge pump is not needed

NYBo

Admiral

Hey, I don't have a bilge pump either- in my 11' Coleman Crawdad. But I do carry a "manual dewatering device" when using that boat.:p

DANZIG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Why a bilge pump?

That's an easy one! 'Cause bailing really sucks!!

From my single digits to my later teens, my Family was slow to learn that lesson. A bleach bottle with the bottom cut out was good enough (and whatever else you could find while you were sinking)

No thanks. Been there, done that.
Really, really, hope to never be there again. Two pumps for me please! :)

Aqualift

Petty Officer 2nd Class

just wondering if you keep a PFD onboard...cuz I bet you are a good swimmer as well....

I wear my PFD all the time, unlike most boaters I see.

I don't recall encouraging anyone not to have one.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

I wear my PFD all the time, unlike most boaters I see.

I don't recall encouraging anyone not to have one.

my apologies... that was pretty rude of me.
My thinking on an electric bilge pump is in the event of a catastrophe, I can flip a switch and have water being expelled from my boat AND use a bailing device if I have to.

Aqualift

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess I was really commenting about scipper77's 'perfect boater' reply, where everyone in here would make a comment about having a bilge pump. I was just pointing out that I didn't have the typical pump and the reason's why. I made the mistake of posting this with a new boater's question about the purpose of a bilge pump. My mistake.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

people always seem poised to attack here sometimes.....I ran a jon boat for years without a bilge pump, always had a manual hand pump, smaller boats that don't have electric start or a battery usually don't need them.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

13' whaler, 20 hp. you can leave the plug out at the dock. No bilge pump (no battery) but always a bailer. 46 years
13' canoe, 14' jon, 12' jon, 17' kayak. no bilge pump. bailer. hand pump in kayak.
16' starcraft x 2 (formerly). would sink like a stone. bilge pump.
17' key west. bilge inaccessible, no scuppers. Bilge pump and hand pump.
19' Carolina skiff--no bilge, perfectly flat floor (now they have wells). Can't sink even full of water. Leave the plugs out at night in case it rains. No bilge pump. 15 years.
21' Sea Hunt. Bilge pump and hand pump, even though the floor drains out scuppers., so a wave/rain won't materially impact the bilge. A broken through-hull will! Rigging up a second since this one goes out further than the others.

PFD's on all.

Boating is not one size fits all.

scipper77

Commander

I guess I was really commenting about scipper77's 'perfect boater' reply, where everyone in here would make a comment about having a bilge pump. I was just pointing out that I didn't have the typical pump and the reason's why. I made the mistake of posting this with a new boater's question about the purpose of a bilge pump. My mistake.

I guess the way I worded me post seemed a little hostile towards my fellow Iboaters. All I was trying to say is that the original poster asked a simple enough question. He never said he didn't want a bilge pump or thought they were not necessary. I don't understand why everyone is getting worked up over this thread?!? I didn't mean to offend anyone, I just am personally bothered when people come to this site to ask a simple question and are barraged with hostile responses. It drives people off who are trying to learn more about becoming a responsible boater.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

This is just one of those hot-button toipics that people tend to be passionate about, and I 'jumped' kinda quickly, too.

Couple things to consider- in a small, open boat with exposed bilge (no floor), bailing might in fact make more sense than a pump. You can throw a lot of water with a small bucket. If you have a battery, however, I'd still consider mounting an electric.

There's a catch-22 in a samll boat with a covered bilge (floor). By the time the water is high enough to move with a bucket, it's over the floor and you're already half swamped. An electric or manual pump (or both) really should be standard equipment for you. Electric if you have a battery aboard.

On a boat like mine, multiple electric pumps is a no-brainer. I couldn't possibly move enough water manually to make a difference.

My .02

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Jolin nailed it. If you can't scoop your bilge, you need a pump.

On my whaler, because it held a little water in the stern but I didn't have a battery, I got a D cell sump pump and rigged up a float switch to it, so it give me the pump, but because the boat is at the house and can't sink, it's not at risk if/when the batteries run down.

dbuffington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Folks!

I have to admit... I hadn't really thought much about the bilge pump situation either. My old, old boat (13' 1957 Whirlwind) was easy enough to bail with a plastic bucket.

However, my new, old boat (16' 1957 Whirlwind) has a deck over the rear. When I washed it the other day, I intentionally sprayed a decent amount of water inside the hull, and when I tried to bail it ... well, I couldn't.

So, now I'm in the market for an automatic, electric bilge pump. Any feelings on the Attwood versus the Rule Mate?

Thanks!
Dave

skargo

Banned

Awesome, it never rains in Wyoming? :D