Where to get bigger secondary jets for quadrajet?

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I installed a 350 vortec in my 1986 searay. If i give it more then 3/4 throttle the engine bogs down and rpm,s drop. I need to get more fuel flow from the secondaries. Anyone know of a place to get bigger secondary jets?

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Where to get bigger secondary jets for quadrajet?

I'm sure it's fuel issue. If i give it full throttle i lose around 300 rpm,s. I run an electric fuel pump that can pump 75 gph. I have no missing or fuel smell. This vortec just wants more fuel...lol

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

I really don't think that is your problem.
Have you done a plug read?

More likely is your quadra junk is just that.

PitchFork

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got mine from here:
http://www.gesslerheadporting.com/

I had a J hanger with CL rods and I put in B hanger with DL rods and noticed a pretty significant different in bogging at 2,500RPM to WOT. It pretty much went away. I also tightened the windup spring alittle.

Bifflefan

Commander

Sounds more like the timing is retarding than a fuel problem.
Even if it is fuel. the jets are not the answer.
Check the dist shaft for play. also if you have points the spring may be weak and causeing point float.
If your sure its fuel then you may have a pluged air bypass in the carb or a pluged passage. But as i said jets is the least likely. Also on all the Q-jets ive ever seen you change the metering rods not the jets in the secondaries.

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have thunderbolt IV ignition no points. After a high speed run the plugs are pure white Which would indicate a lean condition.

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

I'm all for the QJets, but I have always had better luck with the Holley's. They make affordable carbs up to 750 cfm that will work great right out of the box, and even cheaper 600's which will probably give better throttle response on a 350 provided it hasn't been highly modified. Jegs and Summit stock those like Candy.

FLAT RATE

Cadet

You can get some select sizes of secondary metering rods from Edelbrock and most speed supply shops that handle Edlebrock can order them for you or you can do a search on the net and find several other places that handle them but the prices are all over the place. I think I paid about 11 bucks a set for mine.

Bifflefan

Commander

I have thunderbolt IV ignition no points. After a high speed run the plugs are pure white Which would indicate a lean condition.

Im gonna stay the air bypass's in the carb then.
Im assuming that it has NOT always done this of course.
I carb kit and a good boil out will probably do the trick.
Q's are real good carbs, good fuel mileage and good performance.

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Carb was rebuilt this spring. Left it soaking in carb cleaner for a week. Blew out all the passages. Carb worked good and a non vortec engine

walleye seeker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Carb was rebuilt this spring. Left it soaking in carb cleaner for a week. Blew out all the passages. Carb worked good and a non vortec engine

Gonna go with everyone else something else is going on. If its starving for fuel then the carb is plugged or something else is going on.

jy118lfd

Chief Petty Officer

Gonna go with everyone else something else is going on. If its starving for fuel then the carb is plugged or something else is going on.

Do you have a stock filter in the carb?

Does it bog instantly or does it take a few seconds of full throttle and then bog?

Does it bog and die or does it bog and then get up and go?

The jets in a Quadrajet on the secondary side are pressed in and not replaceable. You change the metering rod to alter the fuel curve. What rods do you have in it now?

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If u mean the screen then yes. It starts to bog as soon as i go past 3/4 throttle and it never recovers till i bring the throttle back to 3/4. At 3/4 throttle i can hit 4300 rpm's. Just trying to squueze a little more out of her if possible.