Recommendations for boat rebuilder

neilmcg

Cadet
I have an 87 Supra and I'd like to have it refurbished. New stringers, fiberglass work and new upholstery. Does anyone know a good outfit around the Pittsbugh area?
Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Recommendations for boat rebuilder

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... What's your Budget,..?? Most of Us do it ourselves...

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea - I would think that if you were going to HAVE it redone, it would not be worth doing. Curious to find out what somebody actually charges to do what most on here self perform.

By the way - those old Supras are sharp boats.

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

i bet once you get a price for the rebuild youll consider doing it yourself!!! marina labor is not cheap, plus if you do it yourself you control the product and quality of the repair
a buddy of mine had a deck replaced in a boat he used to have, paid 1700 dollars and got a whipped together crap job, i told him i could have done better, he sold it and bought another boat, dont know if its still out there or not havent seen it since.

neilmcg

Cadet

I would love to do the project myself, as boats are my greatest passion. But the truth is that I don't have the knowledge to do it. My options are: Buy a new one @$35,000 or spend approx $8-10K for a total refurbish (which is my budget.) This boat is my late father's, and I'd like to keep it in the family. I'd love to BS everyone and talk about my plans to DIY, but truth be told, I don't have the skill.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

its not so much the skill as the time.

you are going to have to increase your budget by about 3k.

to do a pro job on the bost you re looking at 8k for the hull and some gellcoat work.
count on at least 4k for the interior.

id do it for you but im on the west coast of canada...

my opinion is that you use the boat this season and talk to a pro about doing it in the off season.....you could get it done for as little as 4k for the hull.

as far as your area....sorry i dont know....but our guys here will know of someone around there

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

heck....johnny is in the detroit area....pay him and he will do it over the winter!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

jcserca...?(spelling)

one of our guys here.....search pics of work so far.

jonesg

Admiral

Every post I've read where someone had the stringer work done in a boat yard was a disaster, wood left unsealed etc. They'll glass the deck down so you can't inspect below deck.
We all had no experience before we got experience...duh

Experience is the mistakes I remember.:p

DIY, save thousands, end up with superior results.
Gelcoat and external cosmetics can be done by a pro and thats money well spent.

jcsercsa

Captain

heck....johnny is in the detroit area....pay him and he will do it over the winter!

hahaha yep sure would for 8 grand !! heck for 5 !!

Its really not that hard to do , just the time !! If I can do it you can do it neilmcg, and you will know its done right!! John

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Don't short yerself,.. Materials come outa that Too...;) :D

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Its really not that hard to do , just the time !! If I can do it you can do it neilmcg, and you will know its done right!! John

Heck John, if only I had known, you could of redone my core in the Ole' Mate. :D

In all seriousness, if you don't feel like you can do the job then you probably should look at a better conditioned boat. As what everyone has said, it's not very hard, but it does require lots of time and a dedication of doing the job right!

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

One of the guys I work with is having a '88 Century 22' reworked by a pro doing side work. He's paying I think about 5K for stringers, floor, and gel.

Just a reference,
Terry

neilmcg

Cadet

I've taken all of your advice and decided to do it myself.
1st question I need help on: Should I re gelcoat, or paint? What are the pros and cons? any input is appreciated.
Much thanks.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Paint is one of the last things if you are doing stringer's.

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

neilmcg,

Search this forum, spend a lot of time just reading, looking at pix & follow some of the threads all the way through. Also go to the Completed Boat Projects forum listed right under this one. You can see hundreds of projects from start to finish. You'll learn how to red up your boat. I have to do my stringers, transom & deck in the fall & plan on reading everything I can until then. Don't worry, yunz will do fine!

Fisherball

(Can you guess where I'm from?)

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey man you go!! Congrats on decidin to tackle it yourself! It will be fun. Exasperating. Try your patience. Thrilling. Educational. Rewarding. Never disappointing. If you go by the advice you get from the hundreds of guyz on here - many who have already walked the journey you are embark on; you'll get tons of good sense and NO beating around the bush. And you'll end up with a boat that your Father would have been proud of!

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

O and lest I should forget:

WELCOME TO IBOATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!