1990 Johnson 175 oil mix question?????

mavmike72

Cadet
Buddy of mine has a 1990 hydro sport with a 175 johnson. The boat is new to him and is oil injected. He doesn't no if the alarms work for getting no oil is working or not. He called a boat shop and the said he could mix oil in the gas as well to. We thought this might cause it to fowl plugs. The guy at the shop said you could not have to much oil. This doesn't sound right so i thought i would ask you guys. He also said you could not take the oil injector off and just mix the oil. Im not sure why not but that is what he said. Any help would be great. Thanks

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: 1990 Johnson 175 oil mix question?????

You can disconnect oil side of pump and run 50-1 mix. or you can run the oil side of pump.
You should insure the alarm system is working. If you use the oil pump, I would recommend you do a VRO oil pump volume test, clean the oil tank, check all lines and fittings. OEM manual gives instructions for this.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The oil/fuel mixing pumps are pretty reliable now. I would add normal 50 to 1 oil to a tankful of boat gas, and also make sure the fuel/oil pump is connected properly. This will create a double oiling situation. It will smoke a lot, but the engine will not be damaged during this test period. Mark the oil level on the side of the oil tank with a magic marker and go boating. At the end of boating, check the oil tank and see if the oil level has gone down. If the engine is consuming oil from the tank, you can discontinue adding extra oil to the gas tank.

jonesg

Admiral

When I was setting my engine up we ran it on a 6 gal temp tank with premix oil and gas, we unplugged the oil side feed line and the alarm started going off within minutes. , we re-connected the oil tank and watched the oil level drop as we did the rest of the engine tests.

WHile you're at it, dis-connect the port side tan wire at the temp alarm switch in the head, touch the wire to the block, if the alarm sounds the overheat protection is good to go.

If its new to him , if he doesn't know the service history it would be wise to do everything and have a know base point.
Water pump, rebuild carbs, change gear oil etc.
Get the factory service book.
www.outboardbooks.com