OMC outdrive question

Quarterhorse306

Recruit
Greetings.....newbie here with a quick question. I have the opportunity to get a boat very cheap. It's an old Renken with an OMC outdrive. The boat is a 1985 so I think it's too old to have a Cobra. I believe they came out in '86? I think the outdrive is called a stringer?....I have no experience with these...
I've only heard horror stories. Does anyone know if those stories are true? Or are the old electric shift ones the bad ones? The boat has been sittting for a few years and I'm sure it needs a bit of work. What are the things I should look for? I understand they have no gimbal bearing like a mercruiser.....are there specific things I should look for? Or should I just run away from this boat? Any info you give me would be greatly appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: OMC outdrive question

I've only heard horror stories. Does anyone know if those stories are true?

Ayuh,.... It's All True..... Free is Way too high a price....

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Yep! Pass on that deal for sure.
Ebay is about the only place for parts and they are getting hard to find and really expensive.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

the issue is cost to repair and maintain
most parts are available as with any 1985 drive brand, but many OMC drive parts typically cost 3X as much as merc parts
One on-again off-again NLA part that can really halt the fun is a shift cable. no one is reproducing them aftermarket and they don't last forever so your days are numbered from the start.
BRP has some in stock now, but they want $650 for one.

cheap boat not so cheap anymore

zbnutcase

Commander

BRP prob gets $650 for it cause they have to pay Volvo for it:D

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

BRP has some in stock now, but they want $650 for one.

$650 for a shift cable? :eek: Is that a misprint?

That's probably more than most of the "very cheap" boats sell for!!

cr2k

Captain

Some guy here really hate the Stringers. Kinda like I hate Force motors.

The biggest things to look for are the transom seal (the big rubber boot around the drive. If it gets bad and leaks your boat will sink. So they need to be checked regularly. The other thing is the tilt clutch. They tend to leak and the water will float the oil up in to the tilt motor and kill it.

So check your seal and drain the tilt cavity and refill often.

The intermediate housings need resealing occasionally.
The plus side is the impellers last for a long long time.

Like any other set up they need maintenance (maybe a little more). But if you keep on top of them they are as dependable as any.

If you are not a tinkerer then I would shy away from a Stringer. If you like to tinker take a look at one. Parts are getting fewer and and farther between, but if you treat it right you won't need to replace them that often.

With the drive raised look at the BALL GEARS - so called because of the balls on the end of the stars. They are still considered good at 50%.

That being said a Stringer would not be my first choice but for a free boat it is worth considering.

Quarterhorse306

Recruit

Thanks for all the info. I went to look at the boat and didn't really see anything positive. It had what I believe was a GM block....2.5 maybe?....it had seized from sitting......the owner didn't really know much about the boat other than it ran good 2 yrs ago. I do like to tinker with things.....I wouldn't have minded tearing the motor down and re-ringing it.....but the outdrive is scaring me. If it had a Mercruiser I think I would have bought it......just all the negative karma around OMC made me pass and save the $300. So, the quest continues......I'm sure I'll be posting more questions about another boat soon. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

BRP prob gets $650 for it cause they have to pay Volvo for it:D

That is the most ridiculous statement I have heard on this forum in a long time.
BRP does not buy parts from Volvo, where in the hell did you ever pick up that bit of self information ??????
Volvo has absolutely nothing to do with anything OMC prior to 1994 and the joint venture.
Get your facts straight before you spout off that kind of False information. That is how a lot of stupid rumors get started.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

From shop.evinrude.com:

0982563 CABLE ASSY. 1 $648.30 USD Legend Available Add to Cart

yep, I exaggerated by $1.70

how much bullsh1t does $1.70 buy around here?

or is it free?

Don S

From shop.evinrude.com:

0982563 CABLE ASSAY. 1 $648.30 USDA Legend Available Add to Cart

yep, I exaggerated by $1.70

how much bull**** does $1.70 buy around here?

or is it free?

That may be the price, and I apologize for my comment, but it had nothing to do with Volvo as 'nutcase posted, that is what is pure BS. It's all a BRP problem, or whomever is selling OEM parts, and It's not Volvo.

Don S

BTW, if that is the going price for a shift cable for OMC, that is just one more reason not to ever own or buy any boat with an OMC outdrive.

Bondo

Staff member

It's all a BRP problem, or whomever is selling OEM parts,

Ayuh,...
Which brings Us full circle to the basic Reason to warn potential fellow soon to be Boaters, away from buyin' an OMC....

Nobody is selling Any OEM parts for 'em....

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

But the OMC drones are in complete denial.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

BRP are merciless.

They crank the prices of any limited quantity parts. OMC, Evinrude, Johnson, Ski-Doo, Sea-Doo. How they sleep at night I dunno.

Tiller handle for some of the 1990's outboards are over $1000

Anything they know isn't being made aftermarket... = bend over

Don S

When I worked up in Ketchikan, AK, we became a BRP dealer for their products. What a learning experience.

(= bend over) It's more than just aftermarket parts. Trust me

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

But the OMC drones are in complete denial.

not sure if I'm a drone, but I pretty much know all the prices. no denial.

Those shift cables were always $300+, but they would last the life of the boat if treated well. The converter pawls self adjust for cable stretch.
I think a lot of people parting out boats (and people stealing outdrives) cut them and created demand.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

I was refering to the masses that still see nothing wrong with buying an OMC rigged boat.....

Don S

I think the saying "Misery loves company" comes to life on this one ;)