Feedback desired on deep keel scrapes/scratches

andrew schubert

Recruit
Got a 69 Glasspar Avalon in great condition with a 76 merc 115 the other day. Only one problem: deep scrapes and scratches into the gelcoat and fibers of the glass. No soft spots around these areas. Was never left wet. My thought, since it doesnt go through the fibers (but does leak a bit accd. to previous owner) is to use gel with finely chopped up glass fibers mixed in to make a paste, then apply this into theses deep scratches, follwed by carefully working it down a a bit below the gelcoat level after drying with a dremel, then paste, then paintmatched gelcoat.

Anyone have feedback for me on this? I want to do it right, but I don't think it worth cutting the flooring out to get at the backside of the damaged areas..

I am concerned that Marine-Tex will shrink after application..should I be? That seems to be the answer around the forums..

Thanks ahead for any replies!

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Feedback desired on deep keel scrapes/scratches

Ayuh,... Personally,.. I'd MarineTex it,+ paint it...

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

Andrew,
Check out my thread below. Look at pages 25-28. That is what I did on my keel- came out awesome. I can't tell exactly what you are talking about without pics but I'm assuming it is pretty similar to what I had.
Good Luck

andrew schubert

Recruit

The boat took on about 20 gals of water after a gash to her bottom, and was then pulled out of the water and trailered after draining out for a year in dry storage. I am doubtful any water remains on the inside of the wound. The wound is completely dry and didn't appear to have enough time to absorb water into the glass at all. The boat has not seen water since a year ago when the wound occured. One cannot see through the glass fibers, but it obviously is porous enought to allow leakage. it is a deep cut that is about a 3/8 inch wide at it widest, and about 3 feet long.

andrew schubert

Recruit

You are probably right..I will try to post tommorow...

Thanks,

Andrew

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I'm not concerned about it retaining water, the concern is that it was bad enough to take on 20 gallons of water before it was pulled out. A leak that large will need much more than a putty fix, its time for some actual fiberglass work.