Painting Curved Stripes - Starcraft 16' SS

tlynch99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am restoring my 79 16' SS and would like to paint the original style stripping on the hull.

My questions is how do you mask off a curved line. I can take this image and expand it and try and make a template out of multiple pieces of paper, but I am not sure what the best way is to transfer that to the hull in such a way I can mask it off and tape it.

The best way I can think of is to take multiple pieces of tape put them down on the hull, then take my template and use an exacto knife to cut through the template and masking tape along the curved line. I would then remove the template and pull up the masking tape leaving curved pieces still stuck to the hull.

Thoughts?
starcraft_large.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Painting Curved Stripes - Starcraft 16' SS

Do a google search for painting flames and you will see how they mask them out. You have a bunch of tape work ahead ;)

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Freehand taping,+ a tape meassure comes to mind...

tlynch99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the responses. I figure I can tape out most of it, and all the strait lines are no problem, just not sure about the curves. I looked up some info about how they paint flames, and it seems like that could work. I guess I'll just try some combination of that, and my exacto knife idea.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Be careful using an exact-o knife..... it will cut down to the aluminum and create a line for aluminum corrosion to start....... If you get near salt water you will even see it faster..... That is the primary reason to treat aluminum and prime it properly to prevent corrosion under the paint.

Is ecact-o a distant cousin of Bond-o ???? :D

tlynch99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hmm that is a good point, I figured I would just do it light enough as to not score through my two coats of aluminum primer and 2 coats of rustoleum gloss white :). Maybe I'll lay the tape out on some pieces of acrylic or something, cut it with the knife there, then try and pull it up and stick it back down on the boat???

Exact-o and Bond-o must... I was trying to think of some other -o words but couldn't.

tjl

Bondo

Staff member

Exact-o and Bond-o must... I was trying to think of some other -o words but couldn't.

Ayuh,.... Careful now,... Make sure it's an O,+ Not a Hole.....;) :D

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I know this sounds "off the wall" but I've had pretty good luck taping curves with electricians tape. Just don't press it down real hard and it'll come back off pretty easy.

bananaboater

Ensign

Another option might be to look into a sign shop to make the swoops out of vinyl. Color is problematic, just an idea. If they can make vinyl ads for road vehicles seems like they would hold up to above the waterline boat apps.

Proselect

Petty Officer 1st Class

What you want to use is fine line tape. You can get it at any auto paint supply shop. It is actually made of a plastic type material that stretches as you pull on it. That way when you tape curves it doesn't wrinkle and leaves a nice crisp line. It also is made so that color will not bleed through and the line is crisp and perfect. If you were to pinstripe over the line once painted you can get quarter inch masking tape and do the same thing, but it tends to leave a noticable line that isn't so perfect. After you tape it off with fine line tape then tape the masked edge with good masking tape. Then tape and paper over the rest and spray away. Of coarse you will have to freehand it. When we paint boats we usually only DA sand enough to scuff up enough for primer and paint to stick. We usually leave some color on it to see where the paint lines were. Then you freehand it from there. The good thing is if its off just a hair from the other side nobody will ever notice cuz you can't see both sides at the same time anyway. Good luck.

Huron Angler

Admiral

tlynch I'm really glad to see that you want to restore the original striping on the old rig...I think they are some of the nicer styles around(ok I am biased since I own the same rig:)).

Let me know what you need and I can get out the old measuring tape. Mine is intact from the factory so I can help out with pics or whatever helps you out.

I agree that using an overhead projector would work well once it was aligned properly.

Good luck with it!

tlynch99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Proselect, thanks for the great information about the auto type thin masking tape. Bubba1235 Also another great suggestion about the overhead projector. I actually have a projector that connects to a computer so that might actually work pretty well.

Huron Angler, I like the origional style paint job, it seems like there aren't too many out there let alone restored ones that still have that styling.

I appriciate you offer about taking some pictures / measurments. What I haven't really been able to find around the internet are some good pictures where the came is looking strait on to the side, basically showing the entire side, and then a close up of the curved sections.

All the pictures I have found are usually taken off to some angle as opposed to perpendicular to the side. It makes all of the striping not in the right proportion. Maybe you could take some pictures for me from the side?

Huron Angler

Admiral

I'm going to be pulling the rig out of my mini garage possibly tonight so it will be no problem to snap a few photos for you.

I will post some here for reference tonight or tomorrow.:)

tlynch99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, I probobly won't be trying to do any painting here until at least the middle of next week.

ftl900

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Another option might be to look into a sign shop to make the swoops out of vinyl.

Have your local sign shop cut the curve, and tell them DON'T WEED IT. Or tell them remove the curve that shows blue on your boat, and leave the rest. Use that to mask it into place. Instant stencil. ;)

In addition to the overhead projector suggestion, I frequently use a laptop projector. That way I can edit on my laptop and then project it where I want.

Here's a sign we did for my wife's medical office- penciled it in using a laptop projector.

Attachments

• wwmc5.jpg
    wwmc5.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 0

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

i would keep the exacto knife away from the boat, unless you are very experienced you will go thru your primer and/or basecoat, sounds like the projector or stencil would be the best options to work from. imho.

tlynch99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok so I have been sufficiently persuaded from trying anything with an exact-o knife. Everyone's comments made a lot of sense. I guess I'll be going with the computer projector idea and digital pictures.

stevenj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

would an option be to go to a sign place that does vinyl signs and install yourself? has anyone done this?

Huron Angler

Admiral

Well I managed to get a good camo template for you at least:D

I will take some more photos this weekend when the shadows won't be so bad.

DSCF5922.jpg

DSCF5923.jpg

DSCF5925.jpg

DSCF5927.jpg

DSCF5935.jpg

redfury

Commander

I have an overhead projector I picked up for 20 bucks years ago for this very purpose. You can get printer transparencies that work in an inkjet printer too.

Taping a curve isn't all that hard, it just takes time to actually do it. I taped out flames on 3 cars that I painted with rattle cans, and the last one turned out really nice for only using basic 1 inch masking tape and some newspapers for overspray. The curves you are going to mask aren't that tight, so you should be able to handle it no problem.

+1 confidence