OK got my boat out of storage to find......

greenwell001

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hey guys,

picked up my boat form storage today and found mold all over my interior, tried my normal cleaner/conditioner and tried to clean a spot off and it worked a little but left a faint trace....anybody who has had experience with this could you recomend something that will take it completely off.

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer
Re: OK got my boat out of storage to find......

I know I have seen stuff at the local marina that is for mold. But I have heard and have tried them before the magic eraser work really well.

greenwell001

Petty Officer 2nd Class

do you not have to use a cleanser with the magic eraser? just water?

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

Not sure how bad yours is compared to mine but I've had tremendous success with that X-14 mold and mildew bathroom stuff in the spray bottle.

Rwebber77

Petty Officer 3rd Class

do you not have to use a cleanser with the magic eraser? just water?

Just water works great. To really open up the pores and clean deeper you could make the water super hot and put a couple drops of dishsoap in the water.

greenwell001

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the advice....im now confident i can get it off....

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

Another vote for X-14. All it really is is bleach with a little detergent, so test a spot first. I use it on EVERYTHING now. It just disappears!
Also, be careful using it the cabin. I'm sure those fumes are not good.

diesel5599

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Comet with bleach does amazing work. Get the premixed kind that is powdered. Wet down the surfaces then sprinkle the comet on top. Do some light scrubbing until everything turns green from the comet, then wait about 5 min and rinse off. The boat looked better than new.

The only downside is the powder can be a little hard to get it to stick to vertical surfaces.

mike343

Petty Officer 1st Class

Use te stuff the guys said. If you still have discoloration put the boat out in full sun. Kills mold.

pac city

Seaman

don't know if you have it there? but 30 seconds cleaner. works great. spray on full strength rinse off, works on that nasty black mildew streaks on your hull.

greenwell001

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok

i used the magic eraser and it worked to a degree (with a whole lot of eblow grease)......for the most part the mold came off but still left a little hint of a shadow of some spots.....i didnt want to try the chemicals unless i had to, i couldnt find the x-14 at walmart.....so have you guys used the cleaners with bleach on anything other than white?

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use bleach diluted with water about 50/50 solution in a spray bottle, but test before using on a small area. Worked like a charm on my previous boat.

ddrieck

Senior Chief Petty Officer

50/50 beach and water mix, rinse with cold water and follow up with scrubbing bubbles....

Jimbobillybob

Recruit

I have a similar problem with my boat except that the cover leaked and I now have standing water in the front of my boat to just below the floor boards. I was wondering if I should treat the water first to kill the moldy water where I can't reach it or if I should just drain the water and let it dry out. I will still have the mold though. Can anyone help?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

After using any bleach products expect the stitching in the seats to come apart over time.Yes it kills the mildew but eats thread..

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I have a similar problem with my boat except that the cover leaked and I now have standing water in the front of my boat to just below the floor boards. I was wondering if I should treat the water first to kill the moldy water where I can't reach it or if I should just drain the water and let it dry out. I will still have the mold though. Can anyone help?

Welcome to Iboats!

It is best to start your own thread about your problem.

You need to let the boat dry out with the bow high and the drain plug out.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

I've used a standard household cleaner called Hertel Plus. However I don't know if its available where you are.

Works great with little to no elbow grease for the last two seasons.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Full strength bleach or diluted muratic acid. One or the other, DONT mix them. FRED

oceanbarrel

Seaman

use simple green , or dish soap and water. the other things will work, but it will destroy the stitching in your uphosltrey, if you must use bleach have someone standing next to you, to rinse the bleach of right away.

Curly Fry

Cadet

I use bleach diluted with water about 50/50 solution in a spray bottle, but test before using on a small area. Worked like a charm on my previous boat.

Exactly, always use this mix works every time!