Tips for Selling A Decent Economical Boat

CATransplant

Admiral
As a lark, I often put together small aluminum boat, trailer, and motor combos from separate units on Craig's list. I buy the stuff separately or in combination, rehab them to be reliably functional and reasonably presentable, then sell them as a ready for the water combination. I make a little money on this, but I do it because it's fun. For awhile, the selling part was a hassle, but I found a strategy that makes it easy and that works very well. Even though my boats are cheap when I sell them, the same strategy should work for any reasonably priced boat you're trying to sell. Here are the steps:

1. Make sure the boat is in good operating condition and looks decent. You don't have to restore it, but it has to be reliable and safe. Let the next owner do the painting and so forth.

2. Place a local ad, and make people call you before you meet. Don't do anything via email, even though you can let them make the initial contact that way. Have a selling price in mind and add 20% to that to post in the ad. You will be bargaining with someone, after all, and it's expected.

3. When you talk to the person on the phone, be absolutely honest about the boat. If it has a dent, mention it. If the paint's scruffy, mention it. Honesty works.

4. Assess the seriousness of the potential buyer. It's not that easy, but you need to know that the buyer's serious before proceeding.

5. Arrange to meet the buyer at a launch ramp near you, and tell them to bring the cash to buy the boat. If they don't agree to come ready to buy, don't bother. Set up a time to meet and give the prospective buyer your cell phone number and get his.

6. Get to the ramp about 20 minutes early and prep the boat for launch. Have a couple or three life jackets in the boat, and be prepared to give them to the buyer if he or she buys. Also, add any accessories you can to the boat. I buy this stuff at garage sales, so there's usually an anchor, a throwable PDF, and even an old fish locator if I have one lying around. A couple of fishing rods and reels and a box of unwanted tackle is always good, too. More garage sale stuff. Anything helps.

7. When the potential buyer arrives, exchange pleasantries, then show the prospective buyer how to launch the boat. Talk the buyer through the process.

8. Next, show the potential buyer how to start the outboard. You should have made sure that it will start easily. Don't try to sell outboards that don't start and run well. Talk the buyer through the entire process.

9. Get the buyer to hop in the front seat and hop in the driver's seat. Go for a ride around the lake. Go fast. Go slow. Turn in all directions. Shut off the outboard and restart it. Explain what you're doing, at every step.

10. Switch places with the potential buyer. Let him/her drive the boat around as long has he/she pleases. It won't be long.

11. Switch places again to return to the ramp. Back the trailer down and put the boat back on the trailer, or help the prospective buyer load it himself with you talking him through it.

12. Pull back into the parking area. Kick the dirt a little. Discuss the price. Take his money, exchange paperwork, then hook the boat up to his vehicle, and you're done. (Note: I always have a correct-sized hitch ball for the trailer on hand, along with the tools needed to switch balls on the buyer's vehicle. I also have a suitable car side trailer wiring connector to suit the boat and connectors and crimping tool. I buy these at garage sales for a couple of bucks.)

Here's the best part: I have never had to do this more than once with any boat I've sold. It's the package that sells the boat. The buyer sees it, rides in it, drives it, and takes it home.

I've gotta go: There's a good-running 1958 10hp Johnson, complete with tank I have to go buy for $150. It'll be great on the next 14' aluminum boat I find. Seeya at the launch ramp!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Tips for Selling A Decent Economical Boat

What a great post! Thank You. People can learn allot from that.

Great information for people selling a small boat locally...... for the higher end stuff we like to recommend iboats http://www.iboats.com/boats/ but the method is perfect.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Excellent info CAT, thanks for posting!

Hard not to learn something from reading that:)

I really like the idea of always giving the lifejackets away with the rig. In the excitement of launching the new boat they are sometimes forgotten. You could save someone's life and never even know it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Very good advice. When selling a decent boat on CL the best things you can do is anything to effectively show that the boat is turn-key ready to go. This will set your boat apart from the rest of the junk on there that needs work. A recent video of your boat on the water running and cruising along will work wonders! Obviously the same thing goes for motors. Wouldn't you happily pay extra for a motor the owner ran last week over one that "ran fine when last used 4 years ago"?

CAT, I sold my Jupiter using basically your system. Met the guy at the ramp and took him for a ride. I got full asking price which was honestly a good bit more than I expected to get.

CATransplant

Admiral

Yup. Nothing better than putting the buyer in the boat on the water. I'm always amazed and skeptical when someone is trying to sell a boat but wont put it on the water for a test drive. I sets my "something's wrong here" alarm off right away.

That's not to say I don't buy boats without driving them. Heck, that's how I find the cheap boats to sell. That's also why I deal only in small aluminum boats. I can see what they're like.

rokrau

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think I bought a boat from a seller that followed these steps :)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

GREAT!!!!!!!! thanks, Bob

rrkyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats exactly what im in the process of doing right now.

I just wish i was till in south louisiana.Forget Craigslist My aluminum boat wouldnt sit with a for sale sign for one afternoon before i got cash.

Apparently people in central tx have to much pride for little boats.

I actually had a guy who was fishing by us the whole day pull up at the boat launch and tell me that his first boat was almost as ****ty as mine! I then pulled up the stringer and asked him how many fish he caught?!

He got the message besides the fact i was about twice the size of that that little turd. Who would feel the need to say something like that?

CATransplant

Admiral

I get stuff like that all the time with my little aluminum boat. For some reason, some people seem to have to belittle anyone who didn't spend as much money as they did on a boat.

I just say, "Yeah, well, mine's paid for, and I can go a whole season on about 10 gallons of fuel. How 'bout yours?"

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

Nice post.

I find that most of what I sell usually looks/works better right before I sell it than the whole time I owned it. Like the garage selling idea for extras, though! Everyone wants a toy with their happy meal. ;)

rrkyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think its funny because the little lone star im using now would be one fine looking boat if you were using it to run up and down the choupique bayou.

Apparently people around here think you need a fiberglass boat that goes 85 to get to the fishing hole.

CATransplant

Admiral

Well, you see...they need that fast boat to run to another spot when they don't catch anything at the spot they were are. Then, when they don't catch anything at the new spot, they need that speed to get to the next one. Repeat endlessly.

I was really whacking the crappies the other day at my little lake. Guy pulls up in his whiz-bang boat about 100 yards from me, casts three times and doesn't catch anything. Vrooom! Off he goes. I'd have been happy to tell him what was catching fish in that spot, but, he knows best, I'm sure. :D

rrkyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Haha weve been doing the same thing on lake belton about three times a week.

What i really love is i can pull the outboard up and use the troller to get into places those guys wouldnt dream about bringing their fiberglass.

Last three or four times out weve been fishing a little cove that you have to go through about 24inches of water to get to. And weve all had limits on largemouth.

SeanMcl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was really whacking the crappies the other day at my little lake. Guy pulls up in his whiz-bang boat about 100 yards from me, casts three times and doesn't catch anything. Vrooom! Off he goes. I'd have been happy to tell him what was catching fish in that spot, but, he knows best, I'm sure. :D

Sounds like the same guys who "hunt" on 4 wheelers. I am quite sure that, for them, the trip is more about driving around on their cool toys and less about catching anything.

Since I'm not a fisherman, I'm going to take my opportunity to ask one: How far away do you want the boats pulling skiers, etc., to stay away from your fishing boat? I always give you guys a wide berth, but it's more for rocking your boat with my wake than anything else. Does passing by at the min of 150 feet bug a typical fisherman? Do we scare the fish away? How far away is considered a courteous distance?

rrkyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

150 feet away pulling somebody rocks the heck out of us haha. Im not sure if it scares the fish though. I own a smaller boat so any time im within about 50 yards of somebody i cut throttle so i dont disturb them. Especially cause if i tick off a guy with a 250 hp and he returns the favor when he leaves we would get beat to death.

I know when were fishing we talk and joke the whole time and still catch fish.

We actually had this whole talk when we were out the other day. We wondered if the old timers told us noise scares fish when were little just so we would shut up.

50 yards is still kinda close i would think stay at least 75 or 100 away when flying around pulling somebody. Having to sit down and wait for wakes to finish is really frustrating. But at least your not the guy that runs over your line on a jet ski without thinking twice.

CATransplant

Admiral

Sounds like the same guys who "hunt" on 4 wheelers. I am quite sure that, for them, the trip is more about driving around on their cool toys and less about catching anything.

Since I'm not a fisherman, I'm going to take my opportunity to ask one: How far away do you want the boats pulling skiers, etc., to stay away from your fishing boat? I always give you guys a wide berth, but it's more for rocking your boat with my wake than anything else. Does passing by at the min of 150 feet bug a typical fisherman? Do we scare the fish away? How far away is considered a courteous distance?

I'm OK with 150'. Sure you get rocked a bit by a wake, but it doesn't bother the fish at all. In fact, on a 4th of July I was visiting some friends on a lake and fishing from their dock. The little cove they live on had like 500 boats in it and they were idling right by the dock. As soon as a boat went by, I cast into the turbulence behind the boat. I had great luck on some dinner plate sized crappies doing that.

Fish are less spooky than you'd think. When I pull into a shallow weedy area to fish, within five minutes, there are all sorts of panfish right under the boat. I get a kick out of catching them when I have kids fishing with me. I just lay my pole over the gunwale and act surprised when there's a fish on. And that's with a kid kicking the bottom of my little aluminum boat and dropping stuff and everything. Fish are where they are, and a boat is shady shelter.

So, unless you're driving a wake rider boat, don't worry too much. Anything more than 100' is plenty of distance, and I'd rather you went by on plane.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I get stuff like that all the time with my little aluminum boat. For some reason, some people seem to have to belittle anyone who didn't spend as much money as they did on a boat.

I just say, "Yeah, well, mine's paid for, and I can go a whole season on about 10 gallons of fuel. How 'bout yours?"

I have big boats and small ones. I love them all for different reasons. The two smallest ones go in the back of my truck, I can launch ANYWHERE, and go ANYWHERE( I may have to get out and drag sometimes), and spend more on adult beverages than gas. I love being on the water. Anyone who makes cracks about my boats is pathetic. He is probably the jerk taking 45 minutes to launch a boat he can't afford.

moonfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If someone goes by on plane the wake is smaller than if they let 1/2 off of the throttle and chug by you.