Are off brand spark plugs as reliable as OEM?

350mpi Guy

Cadet
I have an 05' Merc 350 MPI, with an alpha gen II drive.
Want to replace the spark plugs and want to know if I need to buy Merc plugs at almost $20 a pop or if there are equal quality plugs that won't compromise performance.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Are off brand spark plugs as reliable as OEM?

Ayuh,... Install a set of AC Delco sparkplugs as called for in the manual...

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: Are off brand spark plugs as reliable as OEM?

I'm guessing the engine calls for some platinum NGK's or something.....

Here's the deal with plugs.
Buying plugs at a Merc dealership is expensive.
Cost for your basic MR43T through kellogg to a dealer is about 2 bucks a plug, that's what the dealer pays. Most mark them up 100%, and sell them over the counter at 4 bucks.

I get a discount at my local napa, and I pay a buck .40 for the same MR43T, retail at napa I believe is 2.50 or so. I get them cheaper than the Merc dealer does.

If your buying an NGK plug, it gets worse.

NGK sells a lot of plugs, and NGK makes their profit on the plugs.

Then NGK sends those plugs to somebody that pulls them out of the NGK box's and puts them into Mercuiser/Quicksilver box's. That company makes their profit.

Then there is the company that makes the actual boxes themselves, they need thier profit to.

Then they all get shipped to Kellogg marine supply/dealer distrobution warehouse. Kellogg makes their profit on the plug before they ship it to the dealer.

Then the dealer needs their cut when they sell it to you.

See how many times 1 product changes hands?

On the other hand,

NGK makes a plug and their profit, sends them to Napa distrobution.
Napa Distro makes their profit, but smaller % wise when compared to Kellogg because their inventory is more massive.
Napa sends the plug to the jobber, who then sells it to you making his profit.

Long story short... your 20 Merc plug is gonna run you 12-13 bucks at Napa, same plug, different box.

And oh yeah... use the correct plug, don't throw an autolite or a champion one in there because the autozone guy told you it was okay.