Any Good??

Digger18

Cadet
Was wondering if anyone could tell me if a 1993 Armada Sarenza SSE is a good boat? It is a 20ft with the cobra 5.0 in it. Looks to be in really great shape. Thanks

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Any Good??

I am not familiar with that boat BUT the cobra is a warning to stay clear....... the cobra was an omc outdrive which is not desirable

Summer Fun

Banned

the cobra was an omc outdrive which is not desirable
I'll have to disagree with you on that :).
I have twin 1987 OMC's with Cobra out drives and they never been part for repairs. :)
As for parts you can still get anything you might need.
The engines have never been apart for repairs also. :cool:
View attachment 50352

If it was the King Cobra then I'd run away fast. :eek:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

He didn't say the Cobra was junk. He said it was undesirable. I would think any obsolete drive would be undesirable no matter how good it was when it was new. Our goal is to inform a new boater that there ARE parts/service availability issues with OMC drives.

Philster

Captain

OMC = stay away.

That is the general consensus. No longer made. Where is the local OMC parts dealer? Where are the certified OMC shops?

We are responsible to tell a new guy what we know: If you want an I/0, make sure it's a Mercruiser or Volvo. And, after finding one of those, ask about the specific types that are best within the Merc and Volvo line-up.

IF you want an OMC, your thinking should go like this: "I want this OMC because it is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo cheap AND I am sooooooooooo resourceful and soooooooooooooo patient and soooooooooooooooo handy that I must have this dirt cheap OMC because I will love wrenching on it, finding things/parts/advice from odd people/sellers... plus I did the math and know that all this time and aggravation are worth it, so I can chime in on iboats and go, "Hey, an OMC ain't all that bad!"

Summer Fun

Banned

Our goal is to inform a new boater that there ARE parts/service availability issues with OMC drives.
Would you please show me one Cobra part that I can't find or buy ??. We're NOT talking King Cobra's.:eek:
I'm not trying to start a argument with you. :)
But I believe that people put down Cobra's as they do Bayliners. :D

Just because it has a cobra out drive it doesn't make it a bad deal for him. :)

How would you like to own a VP out drive. One gear set in them is $800 bucks.
Yep you heard right thats just for one gear set. :eek:
Where is the local OMC parts dealer?
My marina can get any part that I might need. Just look on iboats for OMC parts also.
OMC = stay away.
Have you ever owned one ??.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Summer Fun,... You've, so far, had Great luck with your's...
But,...
Just because of that, Don't make it a Great Deal for others...

There's No denying it's OBSOLETE, as in No longer built, No longer supported,+ there's danm Few OMC techs willing to work on them...

OMC went Out of business over 10 years ago,... And, the 1 in question isn't 1 of the OMC/ Volvos...
Why do you think SEI is building systems to mount Merc drives on these,..??
It's because Parts,+ talent to Fix 'em is drying up, FAST...

Buying an OMC today is setting yourself up for Major Heartaches...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Bondo is right, the last OMC Cobra (dog clutch) drive was 1993, in 94 through 98 OMC and Volvo went into a joint venture and the SX style of drive was born. They are not interchangable.
In 98, OMC sterndrive division closed it doors completely. No more trained techs for drive rebuilds, and it takes a lot of expensive special tools to rebuild one yourself.
Most parts are available through aftermarket parts, but that doesn't get them installed if you can't do it yourself.
The other thing is the 5.0L. If that is a Ford, there is very little support for them either. Ford got out of the marine game about the same time OMC did, since OMC is the only one that was using them in the late 80's to mid 90's.
When the drives work, they are fine just like anything else, but do you want to buy one and put yourself in position for problems.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

my buddy just down the road had a cobra in a donzi.... mostly he had good luck with it but the few problems he did have were a royal pita...he had the dreaded shift cable issue and a vibration..... we called all over the place and could not find any good info.... parts were pricey and hard to find .... At the same time I had merc and I had only a few problems also but I can buy a used complete outdrive for 2-5 hundred any day. Also parts are everywhere... I mean heck I've seen impellers in walmart and autozone.

A cobra isn't a death sentence but in general it IS good advice to stay away.

Digger18

Cadet

Well I am glad that I asked. Sure am not gonna buy that boat. Thanks everyone.

Summer Fun

Banned

Why do you think SEI is building systems to mount Merc drives on these,..??
It's because Parts,+ talent to Fix 'em is drying up, FAST...
Ok tell me how fast they're drying up ??. :eek:
Any Mechanic can work on them if he's worth his salt at anything. :)
Here a link to all the parts you'll ever need for a Cobra !!.
http://www.sterndrive.info/

I'm done with this thread you guys chased off the guy from the Cobra's. :mad:
It might of been a good deal for him. :)

Bondo

Staff member

you guys chased off the guy from the Cobra's.

Ayuh,... We just Helped a Newbie Boater be a Boater....

Rather than creating an EXboater out of a Newbie, who wants to go Boatin', rather than suffering the Frustration of owning an OBSOLETE driveline....

Mercruiser parts are Sooo plentiful, they're danm near available at the corner 7/ 11...
Where as you present 1 website that Claims to have OMC parts...

You've got an OMC,.... Enjoy it...
But,...
Don't be tellin' Newbies how Great they are,.... 'cause they AIN'T...