Thank God and Honda . . . . .

scipper77

Commander
Re: Thank God and Honda . . . . .

Skipper77, I want to reiterate that Kyle had not been drinking.

He'd just gotten off work. The other guy....the one that ran, left the scene of an accident with injuries is the person that had been drinking.

I know you didnt say he was drinking.

I was referring to the fact that if the other guy hadn't been drinking and driving he probably wouldn't have almost killed your son. I never for a minute meant to imply that your son was drinking or could have in some way contributed to the crash.

If public opinion is that driving after a few drinks is all about not getting a dwi then most guys who like to drink will risk it from time to time since the risk is only to themselves. It's a good thing to be reminded that the risk is to everyone.

LadyFish

Admiral

Wow, your son is lucky indeed. Not many would have made it out of that accident without serious injuries. Somebody was watching over him.

Thank God he's okay.

ehenry

Commander

Just heard from my insurance people....they totaled the car. I'm waiting to hear from the other guys insurance.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just heard from my insurance people....they totaled the car. I'm waiting to hear from the other guys insurance.

I don't know of a body shop that could fix that! Make sure to get what the car is worth from the insurance. Sometimes they will try to lowball you.

TilliamWe

Banned

I don't know of a body shop that could fix that!...

I know PLENTY of body shops that could fix that car. It would only take about 6 months and $100,000 to do it, but it could be fixed. ;)
ehenry, your vehicle is what is called "an obvious total loss". Most insurance companies wouldn't even write an estimate, they would just type "Obvious Total Loss due to severe front, rear, right side, glass, and air bag damage."

Brent S

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, That must have been LOUD! Yes, thanks to God and honda are in order. A letter to Honda will probably get a response. Companies like to reply to good letters.

You may not get such a personal reply from "the man upstairs" but i'd still be hitting my knees as well.

It is amazing how bad that car looks yet you son is mostly OK. Safety has come a long way.

waterinthefuel

Commander

The impact broke the cab loose from the frame but the cab was 100% intact and the safety systems (seat belt pretensioners/airbags) worked flawlessly.

My insurance Co. fought me on the whole deal because of the NO documentation issue (Police Report).

Eventually, they paid after I told them to talk to the police-not me.

$11K in damages. It was very high end Ranger (Tremor). They fixed it. The dealer did a beautiful job. We put another 60K-trouble free- on that truck before we sold it.

Todays car/trucks are pretty safe.

Why wasn't the vehicle totaled? That sounds totaled to me. That had to have bent the frame. What Ford Ranger is worth 11 grand? I don't care how many bells and whistles it has.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Geez! How did i miss this thread?:( EF, i'm very sorry to hear about your son's misfortune and of the injuries which he sustained, perhaps, though minor in terms of what the wreckage portrayed, it's serious enough to think what might have been.
I hope that he gets to feeling better soon and the powers that be put the perpetrator where the sun never shines.

TilliamWe

Banned

Why wasn't the vehicle totaled? That sounds totaled to me. That had to have bent the frame...

So what? Bent frames are repairable and are repaired properly everyday. It wasn't totalled because it could be repaired for less than the value of the vehicle. Plain and simple.

Just as ehenry's Honda would have been repaired if it was cost effective. Which it's not even close.

A couple of years ago, ICAR or someone did a "study" and found that while the average car costs $20000+ from the factory, it would cost over $125,000 to build one in a body shop.

scipper77

Commander

A couple of years ago, ICAR or someone did a "study" and found that while the average car costs $20000+ from the factory, it would cost over $125,000 to build one in a body shop.

Having recently had some really basic work done at a body shop (Dents pulled, 1 new door skin and paint) I doubt that the $125k car would be of the same quality. Reputable body shops I have found are pretty good at the skilled work but really hit and miss at the little things like putting ALL the little clips back in and rerouting wiring as the factory intended. It took me months to get the rattles worked out from the shop's sloppy reassembly.

TilliamWe

Banned

That's not the norm around here. Most body shops do excellent work, on par with and even exceeding, the manufacturers assembly. I had very few people ever call to complain about the quality of work when I was an insurance adjuster. And in the 3 months I worked in a body shop, there were few complaints as well. Sorry you have had less than acceptible work done. Guess you need to choose a different shop.

ehenry, any word from the at fault driver's carrier yet?

ehenry

Commander

Actually I've heard from the other guys carrier today. I'm going to have to talk to two different people though. One is taking care of the car and the other is handling the medical/injury side.

We have pretty much settled the car issue. No checks have changed hands and no documents have been signed. We determined what the retail value of the car is with all applicable fees and taxes and their offer is right in line what what we came up with. Its fair.

Medical, however, is another animal. I have not heard from them yet. They did call my son but he has told them he wont talk to them without his mamma or me being there and we're not talking to them until we get more documentation from the hospital that treated him.

All I know is this....I'm not signing anything until an attorney looks at it and they'd better knock it out of the park on their first offer. If they dont I will turn the slobbering, rabbid, pit bull personal injury lawyer loose on their @$$es in a heart beat. Their client wasn't man enough to stand and face the consequences of his actions. He chose to be criminal and leave my son bleeding in the street not knowing if he'd killed him or not to avoid a DUI.

I"m not looking to get rich or own any of the other guys assets. What I want is a fair, equitable and just settlement for Kyle. He's the one that went through all this.

I have to admit...Kyle is taking this way better than I am. He called a little while ago and said the doctor told him he could go back to work if he felt up to it.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

OOPS. My bad, I missed that your son went to the hospital, so I]m deleting most of my post....

I too was hit by a young drunk (only 19 years old, not even legal drinking age), but was not as fortunate as your son. Seat belts most likely saved my life. The guys in the medi vac chopper didn't think I would make it.

I have no tolerance for DWI.

If your boy complains about anything, get him to the hospital just in case its a lingering injury.

TilliamWe

Banned

We have pretty much settled the car issue... Its fair.

Medical, however, is another animal. I have not heard from them yet. They did call my son but he has told them he wont talk to them without his mamma or me being there and we're not talking to them until we get more documentation from the hospital that treated him.

All I know is this....I'm not signing anything until an attorney looks at it and they'd better knock it out of the park on their first offer. If they dont I will turn the slobbering, rabbid, pit bull personal injury lawyer loose on their @$$es in a heart beat. Their client wasn't man enough to stand and face the consequences of his actions. He chose to be criminal and leave my son bleeding in the street not knowing if he'd killed him or not to avoid a DUI...

No surprise on the car.

Be aware there will be NO offer on the medical until your son is DONE treating. That's the way it works, period. So if he's gonna treat for years, you'll get no money for years.

As far as the man being a criminal, that has NO bearing on the damage he caused. The accident would have resulted in the same damages whether he stayed at the scene or fled. It's not your job to punish him, that's what the criminal justice system is for. So you should get out of the "punitive" mindset right now. Sounds like you should hire that attorney right now, as you don't seem to be able to make rational emotionless decisions, which is what will be required in this case. Paying an attorney 33% of the final settlement might be your best deal.

ehenry

Commander

Went up to Starkville today and talked with the police department. It seems they were about to charge the guy with "leaving the scene of a collision with an unattended vehicle". The charges have been ammended to "Leaving the scence of a collision with an attended vehicle with injuries". I"m glad I went up there and talk to the sargent thats doing the accident reconstruction.

As for my "punitive mindset", TilliamWe, let your only child have this happen and you may change your "mindset". You talk like someone in the insurance business. Oh, 33% is low. Most attorneys charge 40% for a personal injury/liability suit.

Insurance companies use a formula to figure these things and will attempt to settle. Like I said I'm going to wait and see what they do.

scipper77

Commander

I personally think that you should consult with a reputable attorney. The most money that is even possible for you to get through insurance is going to be the coverage limits in his policy. after that any damages awarded he will be personally liable for.

I am an outsider to this and I do think that if it was proven that he was drunk then you could hit a home run from the punitive rout. However from a legal standpoint it looks like you will only be able to sue based on what the filed state.

Of course I have no idea if anything I just said is accurate:rolleyes:, which is why I would consult a lawyer.

Remember you insurance company is not looking to profit from this the way a lawyer in a civil suit is.

ehenry

Commander

I'm not looking to sue anyone. Dont want to sue anyone. I'm certainly not looking for a bazillion dollars for my boy because I know thats not practical. I do know that insurance companies will cover our expenses and will offer a "pain and suffering" settlement.

I have access to plenty of attorneys and am following their advise.

I have no intention of suing the young man that ran the red light or his family.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

I'm not looking to sue anyone. Dont want to sue anyone. I'm certainly not looking for a bazillion dollars for my boy because I know thats not practical. I do know that insurance companies will cover our expenses and will offer a "pain and suffering" settlement.

I have access to plenty of attorneys and am following their advise.

I have no intention of suing the young man that ran the red light or his family.

A rationale and reason thought.... I think you've made it clear your son's health is paramount, covering expenses and a fair settlement is all you're looking to achieve FOR HIM as secondary.

Hope you're son heals quickly has no after affects. He was very fortunate and appears to have a great dad in his corner.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Glad your boy is OK ehenry. As said before, the car can be replaced. BTW hows Mrs. ehenry doing?

ehenry

Commander

Limited-Time, Donna is doing well. Thank you for asking. She is cancer free, back to hitting on all 8 and actually walking in the door as I type this. She was jumping up and down like a shortstop when she realized what the 1 a.m. phone call was about when Kyle had the wreck.