Attaching marine carpet to new bunks...

fishKILLER1987

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm replacing the bunks on my trailer and I am covering them in marine carpet.

What is the best way to attach the carpet to the wooden bunks??

Glue? Staples?

Also, does anyone know where I can find good quality marine carpet at a reasonable price online??

Thank You.

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Attaching marine carpet to new bunks...

The typical way is to staple with stainless steel staples.

robert graham

Admiral

Go where they're building new houses or apartments, installing carpet, get all the scraps and pieces you want for free out of their dumpster, it's brand new carpet and plenty good for bunks....OR go to Lowe's or Home Depot and pay them for it. Stainless staples, tacks, fasteners...

fishKILLER1987

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, so forget about using glue?

Does regular carpet work as good as marine carpet?

Thanks again for all the info.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

i used a spray adhesive on mine. Thats what was on there when i took the old carpet off. It helps hold it in place when pulling tight as you staple it. I used outdoor carpet from Lowes, its rubber backed and i think i spent about $20 to do 4 bunks.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I use both glue and stainless staples. I have an air powered staple gun so makes it very easy.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I used carpet glue and staples... I bought my carpet on ebay... real nice to have it already cut to the perfect width.... of course I had 48 feet of bunks to cover

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the way i did mine is, i bought bunk carpet ( from ebay ), glued it down with weldwood contact cement ( 2 pints from walmart ) and wrapped the carpet edges around the sides of the bunk boards and stapled them tight w/rustproof staples ( home depot ) the carpet doesn't really cost much, considering you won't be using much yardage. good luck.

TBTOsterman

Cadet

Outdoor carpet glue and stainless staples. If you dont glue, the carpet will stretch as it ages and eventualy raise from the board on the top and sides.

fishKILLER1987

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good info! Ive been looking around online and I think the best deals on marine carpet is on ebay so thats probably where im going to get mine.

It seems like the most choosen method of attaching the carpet is staples and glue so thats what I will do.

Thanks again for all the info.