Marine Battery Charger

JMack627

Seaman Apprentice
I have been doing a bit of reading after using the search feature and have come to the conclusion Everstart is a good enough choice for my battery. Now that I got that figured out, I am a bit lost on how to know what size battery I need, and what charger to get. Will the charger depend on what size battery I buy? And can anyone direct me to a good marine charger? Thanks!

DonHof

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Marine Battery Charger

I been doing research on chargers and found Guest to be the best.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

They've been OK. I've just heard that the warranty has been substantially reduced.

Get the smart charger. 6-8 or 10 amp

JMack627

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replies, I looked up "Smart charger" but didn't seem to find anything specific. Do you have a different name or link to it please? And it doesn't need to be an on board charger just to clarify that :)

John_S

Rear Admiral

I been doing research on chargers and found Guest to be the best.

As of last summer, Engineering and Design is now being done in China, along with the mfg which has been there for awhile. We will have to wait and see if the new designs are as good.

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

I personally like Promariner Chargers. They are smart chargers.

http://www.pmariner.com/Chargers.php

For a portable charger, Ive got a black and decker charger that I really like. Its also a smart charger.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000UZ62FM/ref=nosim/8685595-20

I just got my ProTournament 150L today from ProMariner. Haven't wired it up yet but that will be nice to NOT have to rotate the car charger anymore. Not to mention it'll probably be better for the batteries.

JMack627

Seaman Apprentice

The lack of prices on ProMariner's website tends to scare me as far as how much these may cost lol. But I do like the idea of the onboard charger, I think I would take better care of my battery that way as well. So I guess after deciding what everstart battery I get, I then know what size/ type of charger to buy?

jeffw0038

Seaman

Do you have a batt in the boat now? if so it should say on top what series it is.

27 series is a good size batt and should do ok. My old boat and now my newer boat had that size batt box on it.

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer

The lack of prices on ProMariner's website tends to scare me as far as how much these may cost lol. But I do like the idea of the onboard charger, I think I would take better care of my battery that way as well. So I guess after deciding what everstart battery I get, I then know what size/ type of charger to buy?

http://www.iboats.com/ProSport-Gene...6354013--**********.140510787--view_id.391380

The size of the charger really depends on what you want. If the battery doesnt have any large loads on it and you do not need it to be charged in a hurry then the 6 amp charger is fine.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The size battery you need depends on the number of accessories the battery must power and the current draw of each. If this is a starting battery, a group size 24 or 27 will be fine. If this will be a trolling motor or "house" battery then you need a deep cycle and the largest capacity (group 27 or larger) you have room for and money for is what you need. You cannot go too large when selecting batteries -- but you can go too small. As for chargers, most marine chargers these days are smart chargers and can be left turned on indefinitely and are intended for permanent installation in the boat. If you have just one battery, you need a single output charger in the 6 - 10 amp range. If you have two batteries you need a dual output charger with 6 - 10 amps per output.

JMack627

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you all so much for the responses! I do not have a battery in the boat, I bought it 2 months ago and have been restoring it through winter, and the battery that he gave me with it is shot as hell. I plan on two batteries, 1 for starting the motor and just powering my live well. Then a deep cycle up front for my trolling motor.

JMack627

Seaman Apprentice

All that I was really able to see today, is that my trolling motor is a 40lb thrust min kota. 12v and I assume 12v is suitable for a starting battery as well... lol excuse my newbness, this is my first boat :)

JMack627

Seaman Apprentice

Ok so after reading all you responses, I think I completely understand it now! My last and final question is... I picked these two chargers, I guess my the only difference is that one is 6 and one is 8 amps. How much time does that actually speed things up? I am not in a rush when I charge but I also don't want to need to charger my batteries one week in advance :D

John_S

Rear Admiral

Ok so after reading all you responses, I think I completely understand it now! My last and final question is... I picked these two chargers, I guess my the only difference is that one is 6 and one is 8 amps. How much time does that actually speed things up? I am not in a rush when I charge but I also don't want to need to charger my batteries one week in advance :D

Is that a total amps or for each bank? Many times the mfg quotes total. Mine is a 15A charger, one bank is 10A and the other is 5A. The 10A charges my deep-cycle, and has never failed to top off the battery, even coming in at dark and leaving at the next dawn. ie a typical fishing weekend.

John_S

Rear Admiral

I have never owned a power distributing charger. If they work like the theory, should be great. If you wanted to make sure your depleated,large, deep-cycle will charge over-night and fully topped off for the sun rise, I'd go with the 12A.

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer

If you're charging two batteries Id go ahead and get the 12amp charger. Its only $20 more and it will charge the batteries a bit faster if they've both been run down. 8 amps would be plenty for one battery though.

Both would probably be just fine though. If youre not worried about charge times go for the 8amp if youre wanting to save some money. It should have no problem charging the batteries over night.

JMack627

Seaman Apprentice

Awesome thank you both, and can it hurt to get a charger with two charging banks, but only have one battery? I would like to have two batteries, but for the start I can only afford one. So I thought I could plan ahead and get the charger for two batteries if that won't cause any damage :confused: