no spin prop

ynkhrly

Recruit
new to boating so any and all help is greatly appreciated, while winterizing outboard, 80hp mariner 1980, ran gas out until stopped while doing that a garbage bag got pulled by prop and wrapped around shaft and stalled engine, removed bag and restarted engine, prop would not spin, thought there would be a shear pin to replace but do not see anywhere that could be, maybe a slip clutch i thought but dont know, anymore info needed please let me know trying to do this myself which im sure is feasible just dont have any info, thanks in advance mike

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: no spin prop

These props are equipped with either a end user replaceable hub insert or a shop replaceable hub insert. They are designed to destroy themselves in situations like you've experienced. It all depends on what type of prop you have as to how you go about fixing it.

Take the prop off, take some pictures of the inside of the prop hub and post them here. We can then tell you what to do.

ynkhrly

Recruit

here are some pictures of the hub assembly; thank you for your quick response. took awhile to get the pictures up. any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks mike

SDC11930.jpg

SDC11931.jpg

SDC11932.jpg[/ATTACH]

sschefer

Rear Admiral

The shaft appears normal, nothing that jumps out at me. The pic's are a little blurry for my tired eyes. Does the shaft turn freely in neutral and can you tell the difference between in-gear and neutral? I just want to see if the dog's are hooking up.

It looks like something's going on at the prop hub but it's hard for me to say for sure. Is there a shop nearby that you can take it to?