Can I get a shift interrupter kit?

ringmaster72

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1990 Raven that originally had a 4.3. I put an older 350 in it and an older distributor(not a thunderbolt). I have no shift interrupter setup and was wondering if it was possible to get a switch and bracket that would work for my setup. I was not sure if there was a way to get everything I need in one kit so I would know I have what I need.

Thanks
Tim

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Can I get a shift interrupter kit?

You can probably use the same shift plate and switch setup from the 4.3, but I would need to know what distributor you have in the 350 to say how to wire it in.

ringmaster72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is an older points distributor the the PO changed over to electronic. I have not looked at it lately, but I believe it has 2 wires coming off of it and that is it.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Do you still have the shift switch,+ bracket from the 4.3l,..??
If not, how did you run the cables,..??

ringmaster72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think the 4.3 bracket is still on there, but the reason I did not use it is because the dist. was different and I was not sure how to make it work. I am going to pull it out of storage this week and I will check it out. I have run it for the last two years without the shift interrupter, but I would really like to have it instead of shutting the motor off when i need to stop.

Don S

If the old switch is still there, just hook one wire from the switch to the - terminal on the coil, the other to ground. All the switch does is shorts the power to ground.

ringmaster72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The 4.3 switch is still there. Does it matter which wire I hook to the coil and which I hook to a ground? I remember one of the switch wires was white with a green stripe and I think the other might have been black.

Don S

Shouldn't make any difference, it's just a Normally open switch.
On the TBolt ignition, the White Green went to the distributor, black to ground.