1975 9.9 johnson dies when put into gear

matt88

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1975 9.9 johnson. It runs great at home on the water hose. It will start on the first pull and idle smoothly and rev fine. The problem starts when I put it in the lake. When I put it in gear it dies immediately and will not start back until I pull the pull start 20 times or when I spray carb cleaner in the fuel bowl inlet it will fire back in two or three pulls. It is getting spark when this happens. After that it will runs great on top end but wants to bod down and die when I try to idle it or run at trolling speeds. I am leaning towards a fuel problem but would like some advice on the first place to start. I took it out this evening and the rope broke on the pull start about a mile from the dock and I had to fix it in the middle of the lake:(. I must really love adversity or something not sure but luck hasnt been on my side with this thing. Please help and thanks in advance.

Also, I have set the low speed idle setting correctly and have tried to adjust the mixture while this is happening with no effect.

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: 1975 9.9 johnson dies when put into gear

What's the history on the motor and your past maintenance?

matt88

Petty Officer 2nd Class

new water pump impeller,new thermostat,15hp carb,changed oil in lower unit,new plugs,dipped carb in cleaner overnight.(before you ask all the rubber gaskets,needle valve, and float was removed from carb before it was dipped)

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Without knowing, no adjustment on the mixture side of things means the carb is dirty and need to be serviced. Just read your post, you didn't remove the lead shot or welch plug. Regardless if you think it's clean it simply isn't or the carb is the problem. Adjusting the mixture screw at idle makes a huge difference on both my 15 and 2 9.9's, if I adjust they react, just that simple.

matt88

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will take the carb off tomorrow and try to clean it again. Im confused as to why it is easier to start when I spray carb cleaner in the fuel inlet on the bowl. Could the float be sticking shut or is it possible for the fuel pump to cause this. The bulb stays hard regardless of whether its running right or not.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

You said it ran flawlessly on muffs, not on the lake. Idle in the lake is always different with backpressure, I suspect there is more of a requirement for more fuel with backpressure. If the float were sticking wouldn't it yield the same result on muffs as in the lake, it still has to drain and fill the carb either way. Plus you put a kit in it, wouldn't that correct the needle and seat sticking issue? Unless you put the float in backward and the float is good I doubt it, plus it isn't leaking or not running at WOT. It all points back to idle, you said it doesn't idle in the lake, takes a while to start plus doesn't react to adjustment. If you kitted it, what did you do with the plugs? I hope you didn't chuck them out :D

matt88

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did not remove these because they would not be damaged by the cleaner but from what you are telling me about your engines it does sound like your onto something. What is the easiest way to remove them? Do they pop out with a punch or screw driver?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

For the big plugs I use a sharp punch to break through and pry them out, for the lead shot needle nose should get it out. To install the welch plug (disc, whatever) put them convex side up and use a hammer and 3/8 socket extension to flatten them, seal with clear nailpolish. The lead shot , a flat punch will do. Just make sure you soak and blow everything out with compressed air. You'll see the holes and valleys that these plugs/shots block off, garbage gets stuck underneath that carb cleaner/blowing out simply can't get to.

matt88

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No I have not put a kit in the carb. I have only took it apart and cleaned it.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Ah, a kit is a surefire cure, you won't be dissappointed, surprised perhaps, they do wonders.

OMC kits come with floats BTW.

matt88

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I appreciate the help. I guess if that works it will be time for the coils to go,then the points,but not before the hub spins! Im usually not so cynical but after a day like today who wouldnt be I guess. The sad part is before I started having engine trouble I had just caught a 4lb small mouth and they were really biting and I was going to move a little closer to the bank and the pull start broke! Thanks again and I will let you know if that fixes it.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

My only issue with the 74-76 motor was no telltale, has your's had one added?

Check to make sure you are using the correct champion plugs, the 74-76 magneto motors used different plugs, people make the mistake of running QL77JC4'S instead of the correct plug.

matt88

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No mine has no tell tale and I have been down that road with the plugs too. The plugs you mentioned will foul in no time and no one stocks the correct plug so I am using ngk bhs6. I think that is the right number. I guess that could be a contributing factor to my problem. What plugs are you using?

raybow1

Cadet

If you can find someone with an ultrasonic cleaner it would be well worth it to have you carb cleaned this way. I use white gas in mine. It is surpriing what comes out of the carb even if a person thinks it is clean.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

No mine has no tell tale and I have been down that road with the plugs too. The plugs you mentioned will foul in no time and no one stocks the correct plug so I am using ngk bhs6. I think that is the right number. I guess that could be a contributing factor to my problem. What plugs are you using?

I have UL81C's in my 15, yours calls for L7J's which are disco'd, equivalent is RL82C or L82C's. As for ultrasonic cleaning, small engine shops have them and they are the BEST for cleaning carbs second to carb cleaner.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

I appreciate the help. I guess if that works it will be time for the coils to go,then the points,but not before the hub spins! Im usually not so cynical but after a day like today who wouldnt be I guess. The sad part is before I started having engine trouble I had just caught a 4lb small mouth and they were really biting and I was going to move a little closer to the bank and the pull start broke! Thanks again and I will let you know if that fixes it.

No worries. You do realize that the flywheel has a notch for emergency rope starting, that is all dependant on engine health I guess. My 76 15 just had a treatment, 2 new coils, points/cond's, NGK wires, new exhaust tube seal, new water tube seal, new base gasket, upper and lower crank seals, headgasket and intake/reed gaskets. Finally runs the way it should.

matt88

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess I could have tried that but I didnt think about it at the time I guess? All I can tell you for certain is that darn thing is going in a barrel and will not go back on the lake until I get it to run flawless in the barrel. No more muffs for me my friend!