1997 mercury 200hp off shore reliable?

shankforce

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Are there any know issues with a 97 mercury 200hp off shore series. I will be running it in the gulf salt on a 21 ft Campion about 2600 lb boat. I am putting on a 19pitch high five stainless prop on it. This motor has the oil capped off so it is a premix. I had my choice of a 98 saltwater series 225 Johnson and a 99 225 Johnson salt series I went with the Merc cause I know them and my boat is rigged for it so I saved about $1000.

shankforce

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1997 mercury 200hp off shore reliable?

Do you think a 19 pitch high five prop is good for this motor it is stainless steel mercury prop. The one that came with it is a 22 pitch aluminum.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Is it truly an Off-Shore or is it a Blue Water/Salt Water motor. If it really is a Off-Shore and it's in good condition then you have a potentially great engine. I'd run the 22 to see how it performs before I'd put a high five on it.

The only thing I'd be cautious of is how well it was maintained. If it was run in saltwater and jf you see external corrosion then I'd walk away. You can't see it but there are many internal areas that get affected by salt water corrosion too and that can make the engine worthless. It's not always the case but it's a crap shoot for sure.

shankforce

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is truly a off shore series on visable corosion it was run in salt at 350 hours.
I inspected it and I could not find any corosion on the few internals I could get at even the neck was clean. I dont think they will give me the original prop.

shankforce

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not to sound ignorant what is the difference between offshore saltwater and blue water. I figured offshores were built for long rides out in the ocean dont know what they changed cause the saltwater ones were built later.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Not to sound ignorant what is the difference between offshore saltwater and blue water. I figured offshores were built for long rides out in the ocean dont know what they changed cause the saltwater ones were built later.

Off shore motors are a completely different animal. Think of them as the ProXS version of the Saltwater motor. Hot Rods and nice ones too! If it's that clean and the price is right buy it. Depending on how hard it was run it may be ready for rebuild at 350 hours but definitley worth it. With that offshore mid section, she'll be throaty sounding.

Dukedog

Captain

Off shore motors are a completely different animal. Think of them as the ProXS version of the Saltwater motor. Hot Rods and nice ones too! If it's that clean and the price is right buy it. Depending on how hard it was run it may be ready for rebuild at 350 hours but definitley worth it. With that offshore mid section, she'll be throaty sounding.

Are you thinking High Performance offshore? The production offshore and blue water or pretty much tha same thing. Both are supposedly salt water motors. Both completly different from tha hot rod offshore (never could figure out why they call it offshore) if thats what your thinking? The production offshore has tha same mid, adapter plate's, powerhead and trim as tha blue water, just an older version.......

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Are you thinking High Performance offshore? The production offshore and blue water or pretty much tha same thing. Both are supposedly salt water motors. Both completly different from tha hot rod offshore (never could figure out why they call it offshore) if thats what your thinking? The production offshore has tha same mid, adapter plate's, powerhead and trim as tha blue water, just an older version.......

Humm, you're right I was thinking the hot rod offshore with the offshore mid, etc. I've got a 99 blue water 200 and if it's the same as the basic OffShore then there's no real difference that I can see. I think it's a good motor if there's no corrosion. From my experience, the hidden corrosion is going to be on top of decks (around the cylinders), the exhaust chest and the exhaust plate.

With 345 hours on it, that's getting towards the end of life cycle on a Salty. If it's been maintained as well as it seems though, it might go to 500 or more. If it was a hot rod OffShore I be jumping on it but if it's just a renamed salty then maybe not.

shankforce

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Most used motors will have at least 200 to 300 hours. The one I dumped still worked but was getting too risky to run and a major tear down is in order was a 88 with about 1000 hours on it. The marina said the 97 motor was fast as hell and a beast. The owner upgraded to 4 stroke as they all do. It is carbed and very thirsty that is as much as I know about it. I am test running it on friday I will let you know how it goes. Were the models for these motors x, xl, and xlt? and is this the diff on which is a true Off Shore.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Were the models for these motors x, xl, and xlt? and is this the diff on which is a true Off Shore

Not sure DD would probably know. If you were to compare it to your 88's mid does this motor have a funny hump/box looking protrusion at that back of the mid section just above the lower unit?

Dukedog

Captain

L=20"
XL=25"
XXL=30"

Only difference I've see in either Offshore and/or Blue Water from regular production motors was a fresh water flush on tha divider plate and a gunky coating (anti corrosion) on tha powerhead..............

Oh yeah. Some of tha salty's have an anchor light mounted on top of tha cowl :rolleyes:

sschefer

Rear Admiral

L=20"
XL=25"
XXL=30"

Only difference I've see in either Offshore and/or Blue Water from regular production motors was a fresh water flush on tha divider plate and a gunky coating (anti corrosion) on tha powerhead..............

Oh yeah. Some of tha salty's have an anchor light mounted on top of tha cowl :rolleyes:

I think he's refering to the x, xs or xt model designators on the cowlings. I thought maybe you might have a handle on that.

shankforce

Petty Officer 2nd Class

L=20"
XL=25"
XXL=30"

That sounds about right long xl and xxl. I am kind of irritated with the marina Gulf Coast Marine Center in Port Charlett FL. I caught the owners son in a few lies all ready all to do with money. They added $500 onto the price for no reason he says labor but he gave me a out the door price in which I had a witness the other lie was it came with no prop then he said he tested it with the prop it came with when I asked him to put my prop on he said you can put it on. I said how can I test it in the water with no prop he had bettter put at least my prop on I dont know why he went out of the way to dig up the other prop instead of putting mine on in which he knew I was going to do. They also say and have a sign that says we accept visa or master card now he says I have to bring in cash or a certified check. The next day I said i was not happy with the cash thing he said he was saving me 125 dollars by not using my visa.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

That sounds about right long xl and xxl. I am kind of irritated with the marina Gulf Coast Marine Center in Port Charlett FL. I caught the owners son in a few lies all ready all to do with money. They added $500 onto the price for no reason he says labor but he gave me a out the door price in which I had a witness the other lie was it came with no prop then he said he tested it with the prop it came with when I asked him to put my prop on he said you can put it on. I said how can I test it in the water with no prop he had bettter put at least my prop on I dont know why he went out of the way to dig up the other prop instead of putting mine on in which he knew I was going to do. They also say and have a sign that says we accept visa or master card now he says I have to bring in cash or a certified check. The next day I said i was not happy with the cash thing he said he was saving me 125 dollars by not using my visa.

What he's doing is giving you no way out. He's smart. If the motor is being sold "As Is" with no warranty as it should be then you loose if the motor blows either from unknown prior damage or new owner ignorance. He doesn't know you from jack and if it was me I'd be doing the same thing when reselling a used motor.

It's not that uncommon of a practice so don't be offended.

Often the prop is part of the rigging procedure. If the guy feels like being nice guy or needs to close the sale he might offer you a prop if you let him rig the boat and select the correct prop so the engine does not over rev and blow.

shankforce

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think he is thinking I am a chump so he dosent know me. But I have news for him. For one I have a 30 day warranty in which I will get in writing before I pay 1 penny or he can yank his motor right off my boat. Also I am going to remind him that I am going to run the hell out of this motor every day after work and weekends for 30 days so if the prop thing is a issue he had better fix it. Also if he burns me in 31 days I will contact the BBB and create a web site for him since they stopped paying for theirs I will buy the name out for $ 75 or a simular one and post pics of what ever went wrong and I will give them a bad score on ebay and tell all my buds around in the gulf boating circle what a scammer he is. They were so cocky at that marina I did not care for that either. Dont forget he has to run the boat with me and I am telling him to dump it in the water cold no warming the motor up. Also his print on ebay says the motor is a 2000 not a 97 so I have a ace in the hole and grounds for a law suit if I an not satisfied with his motor.

j_martin

Admiral

I think he is thinking I am a chump so he dosent know me. But I have news for him. For one I have a 30 day warranty in which I will get in writing before I pay 1 penny or he can yank his motor right off my boat. Also I am going to remind him that I am going to run the hell out of this motor every day after work and weekends for 30 days so if the prop thing is a issue he had better fix it. Also if he burns me in 31 days I will contact the BBB and create a web site for him since they stopped paying for theirs I will buy the name out for $ 75 or a simular one and post pics of what ever went wrong and I will give them a bad score on ebay and tell all my buds around in the gulf boating circle what a scammer he is. They were so cocky at that marina I did not care for that either. Dont forget he has to run the boat with me and I am telling him to dump it in the water cold no warming the motor up. Also his print on ebay says the motor is a 2000 not a 97 so I have a ace in the hole and grounds for a law suit if I an not satisfied with his motor.

Do you want a motor or a pi$$in match? Think about it.

my 02
John

shankforce

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All I am saying is dont pi$$ down my back and tell me its raining. I get sick of getting ripped off here in Floirida every time I get involved with the service sector they want to pay there house payment for changing a light bulb. If they would just have a ounce of character and stand by the bargin they struck I would have no problems, too many scams.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

All I am saying is dont pi$$ down my back and tell me its raining. I get sick of getting ripped off here in Floirida every time I get involved with the service sector they want to pay there house payment for changing a light bulb. If they would just have a ounce of character and stand by the bargin they struck I would have no problems, too many scams.

You have the upper hand. Walk away if it doesn't feel right. The stupid thing would be to go through with the deal now that you've lost trust.
This isn't the only motor in Florida.

I live in California. It aint just Florida, it's the economy making people do crazy shi---!

shankforce

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The motor ran really well and am happy with it. I did get a 30 day warrenty no scams there.
There were a couple things I did not like that I had done besides the motor.
1. I asked for a new fuel pump on my 9.9 kicker four stroke they gave me a used one they had laying around not a fan of that. They said they saved me $60 in which is not true the book price is $59 they said it was $120 since I am a member of Iboats I knew that was not true. So that was pure profit for them and a questionable pump for me.
2. They told me which is true when you buy a new hydrolic steering line it comes in a pair but they also said they would install both they did not only the broke one then they kept the other line.
3. I asked for my lower unit on the old motor they said it would be in the hull of the boat not true they never touched it I asked them why and they started throwing themselves around. I gave up and shook my head.
4. I asked them to have the boat in the water before I got there so I did not have to wait for them to do it while I was there they said no prob. It was not done so I had to wait.

So I gave them their money and made a mental quote skip this place next time. I was so wore out from all of the nonsense I just want my boat and to get out of there. The motor runs real strong and I am happy with it the other stuff not so happy. I probally over paid by about $500 and lost my $800 lower unit so was it worth it only time will tell if the motor last me a while I say it was worth all the agravation.