Should I buy 1998 Bayliner Capri CC?

BamaRed

Recruit
Well, this is my first post on here, so I apologize if I'm not in the right thread. I need some advice, I'm looking at purchasing a 1998 Bayliner Capri Cuddy Cabin model 1952 CN. This will be the first boat I have owned. I've done some boat maintenance before, and in general I'm handy enough to be able to rebuild an '81 Jeep CJ, but boats are a differnet animal. Here's the details of the boat. It is being offered for $3000 and includes a tandem trailer with the self contained hydraulic brakes. The boat has been stored under cover and under a metal awning for the last two and a half years. It has less than 200 hours on the boat as a whole. Due to it sitting, the battery is dead. Also, it had fuel in it while it set. I suspect all the seals will need replacing. I looked at the boat today and for a twelve year old boat, it seemed in good condition, but again, I'm new at this. I poked and pushed at every piece of wooden area on the boat. Only the engine compartment cover appeared to be rotten. I looked under the seats and at every compartment I could get to and the wood appeared solid. The carpet is in near mint condition, but does not appear to have been replaced since it still matches the vinyl. The vinyl has some areas where the threads have pulled apart, and some light mildew stains, but no cracks or tears. The paint on the bottom of the boat is flaking off in a couple of areas. Overall the paint is faded and it could use a good wax job. The engine had no evidence of rust and there were no holes anywhere there shouldn't have been. I pulled on the transom pretty good and it didn't flex, so the hull appears solid. So my question is whether this is a good deal for the price. I fully expect to have to have a mechanic replace the seals. I can probably rebuild the carb and clean out the fueld tank and lines. I expect the engine work to cost up to $500. The plan is to get a starter boat for the family and see how we like it. If it looks like we are going to use it, then I'll keep fixing it up until we out grow it. Bur for now the restoration would be the engine and possible the paint on the bottom. So please provide opinions on whether this boat is worth this price, or if I should move on and find another deal. Thanks for your help ahead of time. Here are a couple of pics of the boat:

4522553612_78e1a0c3a2.jpg

4522553546_79f45b0f95.jpg

-Matt

Shife

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Should I buy 1998 Bayliner Capri CC?

That bottom paint tells me that this boat spent some time sitting in the water for at least part of its life. Check it over very carefully and understand that used boats almost always have demons lurking in places you can't see. There is a very good chance due to just age that rot has started to set in. Bayliner, and most other boat manufacturers, do a very poor job of sealing the wood they use in the cockpit sole, cabin sole, and stringers. It is typically just a matter of time before water finds a way in and the rot begins. The rot under the engine cover is a sign that more lurks within.

I'm not trying to scare you away, but even a brand new boat is going to eventually suffer from the shoddy workmanship these companies shove out the door. All of the production boat companies suffer from this, even Whaler. Simple economics force them to take these shortcuts. To get away from it you will have to go to a niche low volume high end company. That boat could give you ten years of trouble free use. It could also start falling apart tomorrow. If you look at the restorations done on this forum you will see the same issues over and over and over. Most of these restorations end up far better than what the factory ever will produce and will last much longer.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that buying a used boat is a risk you'll have to weigh for yourself. $3k doesn't sound like a bad price as long as it is relatively sound and the mechanicals are serviceable. If you're handy and are willing to tackle some hard work down the road you'll be fine.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

It has a mercruiser...... but what engine powers that outdrive? I would be concerned about the bellows (which is the rubber booting between the drive and the boat), the impellar and I would honestly make sure the new owner starts the motor.

$500 budget for the powerplant is actually a drop in the hat.

The 1998 was part of the transition years for construction and bayliner was starting to use better materials and methods. If it was 10 years older we would be waving red flags ;)

Do a good inspection of the engine and compression....hmmmm old gas???? Have the current owner get it drained out ;)

John_S

Rear Admiral

I think that model was only offered with a 3.0L. If so, you might find that a bit underpowered for you and your family. If it has a 4.3L or larger, probably not an issue.

You said the engine cover has rot? Could you describe that a little better? Exactly where is it rotted? It would be rather unusual to have a cover rot and not have significant issues elsewhere. It is possible that the soft spot was just a flaw in the cover build.

I am not sure if you would get the transom to flex unless it had severe rot.

The trailer is not a stock Bayliner item. I think the standard trailer was a single axle painted. The one in the pics is definitly an upgrade.

BamaRed

Recruit

Thanks guys! These have been some great responses so far. The engine is a 3.0 L, so I am aware that it is on the small side, but right now it would just be me and the wife and two small kids. As I mentioned, this is a starter boat, so I don't mind the work as opposed to paying too much. Yes, the tralier is an upgrade and seems to be in good condition. The bellows are shot, I figure those will get replaced with the replacing of the seals in the out drive.

The engine cover was definitely not manufactured well. There are obvious places where the vinyl did not adequately cover the edges of the board underneath. The board underneath does not appar to be of any high quality wood. The whole board is pretty much falling apart. It's just the top board, not the side pieces.

The bottom paint is the anti-fouling (sp?) paint. I read up on it, and it appears that this stuff does have a tendancy to flake off if it is out of the water for extended periods of time.

Bottom line is right now I think I can get the bottom in the water by by replacing the seals (and bellows:)) and possibly scraping and re-painting the bottom paint. So for $3K, is it worth it?

Also, if I go the route of replacing the seals and bellows myself, how hard a job is this? Most of the engine stuff I can do (draining, cleaning out the fuel lines and carberatour, checking the compression, etc.) but the outboard part is where I'm not sure about.

Thanks again for the responses.
-Matt

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

Without a professional survey it is very difficult to say whether or not the boat is worth the asking price. I will say that you will likely spend at least $3k fixing this boat up. The purchase price of a used boat is usually insignificant compared to the maintenance and repair costs.

John_S

Rear Admiral

This thread probably belongs in the I/O area.

If the U-joint bellows had failed, there could be considerable work to be performed, to do the job correctly. That subject comes up numerous times in the I/O area. Doing a search there should get you some estimates.

Anti-fowling paint may also mean it has seen some salt-water. If so, exhaust manifold and riser may be severly rusted and need replacing.

BamaRed

Recruit

Thanks for the replies guys! So far, I've figured out that worst case for the stern drive is a complete replacement, which looks to be around $1400 for a new unit plus probably another $150 for miscellanious parts (bellows, etc.). The paint appears to just need to be cleaned off and redone (looked pretty good at the bottome of the hull, the paint really does appear to be just flaking off, no signs of damage to the hull underneath or any scrapes or blisters in the fiberglass). I looked at what it takes to replace the stern drive and it seems pretty doable for me since I won't be relacing any of the internal seals or require much in the way of special tools.

I think the engine is good, and plan to do a compression test on the cylinders. If I just spin it up with the starter and don't put it in gear, and have the plugs removed, am I likely to do any damage (or further damage)? Since I'm just checking it out before I buy it, I don't want th owner getting PO'd at me for doing more damage.

Thanks again for the help,
-Matt

John_S

Rear Admiral

Why don't you buy a set of muffs and run it on a hose? Better to have a warm engine to do a compression test with, and you can see if it actually runs and identify other possible problems. It might have had freeze damage before block was drained.

Otherwise, charge the battery up before doing the test and have the drive down within its trim range, and ignition grounded, choke fully open, and wot. Realize that even though it is in neutral, most everything is still spinning in the outdrive. Running it without water, will quickly waste the impeller.

To me, you are taking on a considerable amount of work, and risk of other work still needed.

Juniinc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would bring my own battery + muff,,,let her idle , listen to her , observe her.
pull the drive dip stick out to check the condition.
If its power train is descent shape, I think she is a so-so deal.
My concern would be that 3.0 is goona be a bit under powered, especially when U got whole bunch ppl.
I'm gonna go pick this one up tomorrow for $700.
Do U guys think she is worth it?
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/1692262322.html

Juniinc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Volvo 305/280.
I had a same set up on my 85 bayliner 18 bowrider,,,,
oh boy, did that thing fly.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I would bring my own battery + muff,,,let her idle , listen to her , observe her.
pull the drive dip stick out to check the condition.
If its power train is descent shape, I think she is a so-so deal.
My concern would be that 3.0 is goona be a bit under powered, especially when U got whole bunch ppl.
I'm gonna go pick this one up tomorrow for $700.
Do U guys think she is worth it?
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/1692262322.html

Not a good year for B-liner......might have been a good year for wine :rolleyes: Anticipate total rot from bow to stern.....

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

It's good to be cautious but I haven't heard anything that would lead me to assume you need a new drive. Having the bellows replaced professionally should be well under a $1000 although there may be other miscellaneous work required in there.

You could do it yourself if you have time, patience and the right shop manual and tools. It's not a fun job though. Be sure to get all the rubber parts in there looked at, included the shift cable boot.

As for the motor, that 3.0 is a tough little unit and if it was treated well and winterized properly I don't imagine there would be much wrong. I will concur with others though it won't be much power for you.

Overall, I wouldn't say it's a screaming deal by any means but not a terrible one if the boat doesn't need extensive work you have to send out to do. Can't hurt to go in lower than asking. Bottom line is we are all pretty much guessing along with you.

Any pics of the interior?

John_S

Rear Admiral

Volvo 305/280.

That's good. Even if the boat is rotted out, you should be able to easily part out everything and get your money back, and then some.

If you want to restore a rotted boat, read many of the projects here to get a feel for the time commitment. Many people start a fiberglass hull rebuild, only some finish.

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer

BamaRed and Juniinc, If your up for the work, don't mind spending time on it and you got the money I'd say go for it. You might not be able to get your money back right away if you try to sell it though. I have well more invested in my boat than it's worth but at least I can take my family and go out on the lake with confidence and I know in my mind what I got (the best part is, it's paid for). There are a lot of great people on iboats that will answer any questions you have. This is an excellent web site for first timers like my self.

BamaRed

Recruit

Hey guys, well this has been a great learning experience already. Basically the guy really didn't want to back down off the price any more and I already have several projects going, and there was some risk as to how much it was going to take before we hit the water. But I did learn that the family does want to get in and at least try out boating a little more than just riding around in a couple of friends' boats. So while trying to minimize the work and the risk and keep our costs low, I found a new 2009 Bayliner 175 for sale only a couple of hours a way. Looked at it today and we decided it was just what we needed to get started and the price was good. So Tuesday I'll be picking her up. It's not loaded by any means, but I've read a lot of good stuff about these and I think for getting started it will work great. Hopefully, I can spend some time and post what we do to her. Thanks for all your help and information.

-Matt

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

Good luck with the boat, we have all been there before. Get a good manual for your engine and drive. That will have all the information you need to the power plant and outdrive. Hopefully the rest of the wood is in good condition. Have a good time and send us pics to keep us updated....tink

Only advice I can give is NEVER EVER BUY AN ENGINE UNTILL YOU SEE IT RUN>NEVER