Bimini owners, get in here

tboltmike

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bimini owners, get in here

My 18' bowrider came fitted with gunwale channels that allows for about 2' of fore/aft travel. I bought the 6' and the channels allow the top to be move to were the shade is most effective.

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I dont think I have a pic of mine BUT I have an 8' - 4 bow top on my boat and my boat is likely laid out almost exactly like yours. It covers from the windshield to the sun pad - in other words where almost everybody but the young kids sit. Everybody that sees or comes with us on our boat things that it is the greatest. My wife wont get on the boat without it. Get the 8' - length matters!

Plasma George

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I dont think I have a pic of mine BUT I have an 8' - 4 bow top on my boat and my boat is likely laid out almost exactly like yours. It covers from the windshield to the sun pad - in other words where almost everybody but the young kids sit. Everybody that sees or comes with us on our boat things that it is the greatest. My wife wont get on the boat without it. Get the 8' - length matters!
WOW, you may have sold me on the 8'. I know it's going to make a great improvement, make the boat feel enclosed with a roof, more comfortable, etc.

Do you fish at all with the 8'er ?
What height did you buy ?
Does it have the same height from the windshield to the sun pad ?

I never thought about boarding/swimming off the back swim platform and whether having the bimini on will cause people to keep ducking and having near misses with head shots.:eek::D

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I dont recall what the height is and this partially depends on your boat's freeboard (side height) anyway. I can tell you that I have more than enough headroom and I am 6' tall. It is tall enough that I have to really stretch to open it. Yes - it is the same height from front to back. I keep it on the boat at most times.

As for fishing I dont do it much. I attached the bimini with quick release screws and remove it if I want to fish and for storage - just takes a minute.

Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures with it open but here are couple with it folded/ booted on the boat.

DSC01045.jpg

DSC01053.jpg

Tig

Chief Petty Officer

I bought a bimini last year and I thought long and hard about the dimensions. Here is the logic for my decisions.
8' was very tempting for the coverage. It's almost like a good start on a camper top. On the other hand I did not want to have coverage over the bow or stern since I feel it would interfere with fishing. In the end, I felt 8' was too large for my 15' boat. I decided on a 4 bow 6'.
Height was the next decision. Low does look sporty and as previously discussed, the higher it is, the more that the angle of the shade will leave the boat early and later in the day. For me I really only want protection from the noon sun. Where I boat, it just doesn't get hot out on the water very often. I chose to just shade the helm area. Even then it's going to be very early or late before I get the sun in my eyes.
So I will have the option of shade without impeding fishing, walking or sunning.
All that being said the bimini is still in the box in the garage. Installation will be a June task. Wish me luck. :)

SeanMcl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is my 6 ft, 36" tall bimini on my 17 ft.

I think an 8' on my boat would be cumbersome when getting in and out. It would also interfere with fishing. What I have now is the best compromise for me IMO.

Has anyone tried a dual top setup? I was thinking if you added a second mount for the rear top near the mount for the front you could move it and have it be out of the way when you fished or just wanted the sun.

4535071513_6887a821b3_o.gif

Thanks to Pinellas50 for the pic of his fine boat that I violated with my poor Photoshop skills.

Plasma George

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sweet animation. There was a thread on here about 2 biminis, and maybe zippering them together.

I still don't know. I'm yet to see an 8' bimini on a 20' bowrider.

I suppose it's 100% personal preference. You get the sun coverage and cool feel of a camper, tent, as if you're in an enclosed boat....but you lose the fishing/casting room, and boarding jumping off the back, etc.

I still don't know.

Plasma George

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Shameless bump.

I'm still holding out for someone with a picture showing an 8'er on a 20' or so.

After all the great replies I'm still unsure. Pretty much know I need 42" though.

someone please post a picture my new 21 bow rider has the worst Bimini!
i would like to see an 8 footer maybe this weekend camping!

SoTexGuero

Cadet

mine is a 3 bow 6ft. It covers from the windshield just up to the rear seats. It seems to be the perfect size to shade a big area but not get in the way. Dont worry about the wind drag, it will hold up to it. mine has seen cruising in 30-40 mph winds and is still fine. I dont remember the height i purchased.....but im about 6' and i just barely hit the top when i stand up underneath it. mine is mounted low on the hull though, outside the windshield so i got maximum coverage inside the boat.

Augustlakepics014-1.jpg

Perfect! Our boats are similar and your picture helps me. Thanks so much for the pic and the brand you bought is exactly what I was looking at. :D

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

Although I think this baby is bigger than 8' it might give you an idea what a long bimini might look like....Personally I dont think anyone is posting a pic of an 8' because no one has one because they look kind of dumb to me:eek:

IMG_0264.jpg

WOJO 1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think the 8 footers are just too long and dont look right. And height wise I think you want to be able to walk underneath it without ducking. I never measured the height of mine but you can see from the pic I have tons of head room (although my wife is only 5'3") Your mounting point will be on your gunwhale....measure the distance from the floor to the mounting point and add the height of the bimini (36", 42" etc) to get your total height. All just my opinion of course.

DSCF3485.jpg

Any idea of a website for this style. This is perfect for I would like for fishing.

RWilson2526

Any idea of a website for this style. This is perfect for I would like for fishing.

talking about the enclosure I assume, you pretty much have to have it custom made by a canvas shop....its a standard bimini like all the others you see with zippers sewn in around perimeter with front windshield, side screens and back curtain that zippers into the bimini along the top and snaps onto the boat along the bottom.

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm telling you - my 8'er looks great on my Chaparral 20'. I simply don't have a pic with it up. I have not seen my boat since September. I MIGHT be going up to the lake on Sunday start to make ready for the season. If I do, I'll take pics - but it will be on the trailer. Kids and wife keep me kind of busy....

Some of you guys are a bit too quick to judge - jeeez.

Plasma George

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm telling you - my 8'er looks great on my Chaparral 20'. I simply don't have a pic with it up. I have not seen my boat since September. I MIGHT be going up to the lake on Sunday start to make ready for the season. If I do, I'll take pics - but it will be on the trailer. Kids and wife keep me kind of busy....

Because they went 6'.
I didn't yet.....I'll wait/hope until you post you 8' pics so I can see the coverage. I know it's gotta have a better "inclusive" kind of feeling when you're in the boat, I just need to see if it can be up and still fish/swim off the stern.

Thanks for the efforts ! I know the PIA of uncovering and recovering.

RWilson2526

Hey Bama fan...sorry, really no intent to insult you....not judging you, just stating my opinion which combined with a dollar gets you a cup of coffee....

Now assuming from your screen name that you are a Tide fan? Now I'm judging you!!!: GO GATORS:D:D:D

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just juggling schedule for today/tomorrow to see when to go up there. Kids' commitments, etc. plus it is raining. I don't mind going up there in the rain and working since it is covered but I don't want to do it in the thunderstorms ( which will be sporadic this weekend. I also wanted to pull the boat out of the building to get a better picture. In short - I'll keep you posted.

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Plasma George - I sent you a PM with link to a bunch of pics I took yesterday. I hope it helps you.

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Plasma George - I sent you a PM with link to a bunch of pics I took yesterday. I hope it helps you.

What about the rest of us? I have a 20' bowrider an am about the buy a bimini; I'm also debating 6' vs 8'. Please post a few pictures! Thanks.