70hp johnson won't start

stelladallas

Cadet
I have a 1993 70hp Johnson that ran fine last year, winterized it, put it up for the winter, bought new gas and added a little Sea Foam this spring and when I took it out yesterday, for the first time, it would not start. It almost started a couple of times, but died immediately thereafter. The choke is clicking, but the butterflies only engage when I push the lever to full throttle. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 70hp johnson won't start

you dont have a butterfly choke.You have a primer.Its the round part with small red handle.Be sure you have the ball squeezed hard,thats how the primer gets pressueized,there is the possibility that you over primed it too,you might want to pull the plugs and clean them up,they could be dirty from fogging the eng.last yr,be sure you have a good strong battery and it cranks fast,if yous suspect its not getting enough fuel,you can open the red primer handle turning it 90 degrees,squeeze the ball ,close the handle and crank again,be sure not to give too much throttle either.If you continue to have trouble,check your spark.

stelladallas

Cadet

I have dug deeper and have discovered that I do have fuel getting to the carburetor, but all three spark plugs are as dry as a bone. Why?

Also, thanks for straighting me out on the choke and choke solenoid deal. I understand THAT a little more clearly.

Yesterday after I got the motor started the first time, it would start first crank, everytime that I would try it, but today, it won't start at all. I mean it would start immediately, on the first turn over and today, nothing.

stelladallas

Cadet

Took my boat back to the lake today and the motor would not start at all. Could someone please give me a hint as to why I am getting fuel to the carbs, but no fuel is making it to the plugs. The reason I know that fuel is getting to the carburetors is, when I pull the cover there is an abundance of fuel pooled up in the bottom of the cowling, under the carburetors. I am willing to try anything, but I am out of things to try. I do know that I don't have a crimped fuel line under the cover.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

,if your primer isworking properly you should get it to kick over after giving it a good prime.make sure your getting a good supply of fuel to the carbs and that your squeeze ball is giving good pressure ,you migt want to disconnect the hose and insure the squeeze ball is pumping fuel and not just had or full of air.Getting a good hard ball ,should put good pressure to the primer,the primer should get the motor to at least start momentarily.If your getting a good source of fuel to the primer and carbs,then the carbs would then be gummed up and not delivering the fuel to the crankcase.the fact the engine wont run with a good prime ,makes me suspect not enough fuel source to the engine for some reason,you can also turn the little red lever on the primer ,squeeze your ball ,that should allow fuel to prime the motor,try it and see what happens