WORST luck EVAR! New Raft Crack in tube...

Gametrade

Seaman Apprentice
Still new to the game, anyone know if anything can be done with this? Just got my new Mercury 340 Hypalon, and it came with a nice crack at a not so nice area of the raft. See attached.:(

Attachments

• Mercury 340 crack.jpg
    Mercury 340 crack.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Mercury 340 crack 2.jpg
    Mercury 340 crack 2.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 0

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: WORST luck EVAR! New Raft Crack in tube...

Still new to the game, anyone know if anything can be done with this? Just got my new Mercury 340 Hypalon, and it came with a nice crack at a not so nice area of the raft. See attached.:(

Being a brand new sib under warranty, definitely would turn it back to the store for my peace of mind and pocket, the height it has not been checked properly prior to customer delivery, probably a hidden issue for boats offered at discount prices and free shipping by road trucking. A pity that such nice Companies, the manufacturer and the seller were a bit careless on that particular issue.

Happy Boating

Gametrade

Seaman Apprentice

I really hope Defender doesn't try to screw me over. I bought the raft almost 3 weeks ago, just got it 2 DAYS ago. I sent them an email about the crack in the seam, the reply was well we can't do anything until I have your information. Which means they didn't even read my email, as all that info was in it.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

I really hope Defender doesn't try to screw me over. I bought the raft almost 3 weeks ago, just got it 2 DAYS ago. I sent them an email about the crack in the seam, the reply was well we can't do anything until I have your information. Which means they didn't even read my email, as all that info was in it.

It's their problem, not having inspected throughfully the sib, how deep is the crack, can you see midle white fibers ? Send them a clear picture of the problem, now the issue is : who will pay for sending back the sib to Defender.

Sometimes dealers makes nice discounts, but don't tell you that the product may have minor cosmetic issues, in this case is not cosmetic, it's a safety issue.

Had a claim with them some years ago, bought several pressure gauges that were shipped down here, when tested all were very erratic, sent an email saying most of them had erratic readings, their answer : too bad, if don't like them, just send them back, a Pilatus answer. So it's clear to see they don't check what they sell specially if having to travel that far away. Good luck on your claim.

Happy Boating

Gametrade

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the info. What they told me is....."We contacted Mercury, we are waiting to hear back from them"

Personally I work in customer service. If they were really concerned about customer service, they would have had me take pictures and send it in (which i already did on my own), have me return the raft, send out a new one, and THEY can deal with Mercury on their own time, not mine!

Attached: close up picture of factory damage

Attachments

• Raft 3.jpg
    Raft 3.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 0

chickendog2010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Darn, that sucks! :eek: It could have been me. I just ordered the walker bay 340 from them and i was checking out that Mercury too. I didn't see any problems on my new boat but i am going to check it again one more time to be sure.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Definitely Mercury Marine being a well reputed boat Company will take care of that issue, just in case, double cross your fingers :D Defender should inspect every sib/rib they sell to be in optimum state, find very stupid that buyer should contact Defender and they contact Mercury, sounds like a menage a trois.

We inspect/test every sib/rib/engine we sell to be in opt state, don't believe in having a customer service department and making client loose precious boatig time, that's a real crime.

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Why are you contacting Defender about it? What you have is a warranty from Mercury, not Defender. So, you visit www.mercurymarine.com, look up the closest warranty center for inflatables and take the boat there. They will take it from there. If the boat needs to be repaired they will replace it or repair it at no cost to you...Unless they determine that the boat was damaged in shipping or after delivery to you. If it occurred during shipping you will need to contact the delivery company and file a claim.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Mercury inflatables are well packed and bagged inside a thick carton box, unless the box arrived cut you can file a claim to shipper, if not, it's complete careless work from Mercury & Defender. Would be a good policy if Defender would take their time to inspect their merchandise if being shipped to other customer state, rather than local, that way will prevent a tedious customer service claim.

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

You do not know what you are talking about. There is no claim against the seller, period. If a product is damaged and that damage can be attributed to freight damage, the only person responsible is the common carrier who delivered it. The merchant is 100% not responsible as the carrier assumes ALL resonable risk during transport. If the boat was damaged prior to packaging, then Mercury is solely responsible. If the boat was damaged after it was received, then the consumer is solely responsible. And for the record, no dealer that ships inflatables, opens them up and inspects them prior to shipment to a consumer. My friend, you are simply out of your depth on this subject. It would be best if you limited your advice to things that you actually have some experience with, as falsely pointing someone down the wrong path in case like this, will only delay or prevent them from rectifying their problem.

Gametrade

Seaman Apprentice

From a visual inspection, no damage to the box. Defense so far has not had the best customer service. Told them about the damage Tuesday...still waiting for help with it. The only thing they have done sofar is acknowledge I have a hole in the raft. Personally if they were truely a customer service based business they would swap rafts with me and deal with mercury on their end. They wouldn't make me sweat it out waiting with no real clue about what is going on. I know with previous purchases, when companies take care of me, I'm a definite repeat customer. So far, I'm pretty sure defender won't be seeing more business from me, nor will I be referring people to them. But who knows. I'll make my decision this week depending on what happens.

chickendog2010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

From Defender policy page:

Non-Returnable:
Inflatable boats, outboard motors, life rafts, kayaks, trailers, cut goods, custom canvas, products with a broken seal, clearance items, close-outs, discontinued and specially ordered items are not returnable. If these items are found to be damaged or defective, you must notify us within 10 days for replacement. Unfortunately, we can not accept returns older than 30 days.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

From a visual inspection, no damage to the box. Defense so far has not had the best customer service. Told them about the damage Tuesday...still waiting for help with it. The only thing they have done sofar is acknowledge I have a hole in the raft. Personally if they were truely a customer service based business they would swap rafts with me and deal with mercury on their end. They wouldn't make me sweat it out waiting with no real clue about what is going on. I know with previous purchases, when companies take care of me, I'm a definite repeat customer. So far, I'm pretty sure defender won't be seeing more business from me, nor will I be referring people to them. But who knows. I'll make my decision this week depending on what happens.

It's not their responsibility to do anything for you. You didn't buy a boat with a Defender warranty. You bought a boat with a Mercury warranty. You have to address the issue through the closest Mercury warranty dealer. Defender is no different than any other dealer when it comes to observing warranty policy and that is what you are asking them about. Can they simply send you a new boat based on the tear? Sure...They "can" do anything. But, Mercury has a provision for you to receive warranty service. You paid for the warranty when you purchased the boat, but you have to follow the warranty policy guidelines...Or maybe you will simply guilt them into sending you a new replacement boat. You don't deserve one, from them, but good luck anyway.

Gametrade

Seaman Apprentice

Im not asking to "return" it. I'm asking for what I paid for...a usable raft. Not some rubber with a big hole in it. Kinda like buying a new car from a dealer that states the same thing about returns. Car doesn't work, "oh well sucks for you, not our problem. If thy is how you run your shop, well obvious your customers are not your concern.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Do you not understand English? Take it into a Mercury dealer for warranty service. It's that simple. Defender would not get reimbursed by Mercury for the freight sending the boat to them and a replacement boat back to you. And for the last time D A. Your warranty is with Mercury, not Defender. Using your car dealer example....You buy a car from a dealer in California and you have them ship it to you in New York. You get the car and then discover a problem with the AC. Do you:

A) Get on the Internet, complain like a little girl and demand that the dealer in California send you a new car?

B) Take the car into the closest warranty center for repair?

or

C) Insult the person telling you what you need to do?

So far you have done A and C. Use your brain and try B.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

You do not know what you are talking about. My friend, you are simply out of your depth on this subject. It would be best if you limited your advice to things that you actually have some experience with, as falsely pointing someone down the wrong path in case like this, will only delay or prevent them from rectifying their problem.

TG, who bought the sib you or Gametrade ? how am I supposed to know that no dealer inspects inflatables prior to shipment. This is a stupid policy you'll have to deal width, personally believe in total customer satisfaction.

Gametrade already have placed a claim, will see what happends and hope he has good fortune in his claim. If not mistaken, were the one who recommended G buying at Defender. His experience has not been satisfactory at all.

And TG, don't answer posts if you have a bad day, nobody asked you for your opinion, this is a open free forum, you can be some times very intolerant and agressive in your posts with posters. Change your attitude.

PD : Don't waiste your energy answering back.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

TG, who bought the sib you or Gametrade ? how am I supposed to know that no dealer inspects inflatables prior to shipment. This is a stupid policy you'll have to deal width, personally believe in total customer satisfaction.

Gametrade already have placed a claim, will see what happends and hope he has good fortune in his claim. If not mistaken, were the one who recommended G buying at Defender. His experience has not been satisfactory at all.

And TG, don't answer posts if you have a bad day, nobody asked you for your opinion, this is a open free forum, you can be some times very intolerant and agressive in your posts with posters. Change your attitude.

PD : Don't waiste your energy answering back.

Thank you for illustrating my point about you not knowing what you are talking about. I would suggest you change your attitude as you are the one providing incorrect information, not me. As to my being aggressive or intolerant, I'm not. I do, however, answer back in kind.

On a side note, I don't tolerate crap from people. If you have an opinion, express it as an opinion and while I might point out why I don't share that opinion, I will do so politely. Lie, intentionally mislead, libel or be factually incorrect and I will point out that you have lied, intentional misled, libeled, or are talking through your butt. Sometimes that may come across as being blunt or being arrogant, but it's not. The fact of the matter is that I know a lot about what I post about. Certainly a lot more than virtually anyone else you will find posting on the net...That's why I limit my comments to things that I am an expert in. I would urge you to post less, read more and limit your comments to fact or clearly expressed opinion. That's what I do. And as far as I am concerned, this was an unpleasant experience that I am going to forget about as soon as I hit the Reply button.

chickendog2010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Their policy clearly states that buyer need to contact them if the product is defective or damage. So, Gametrade did the right thing.

Let me post one more time:

Inflatable boats, outboard motors, life rafts, kayaks, trailers, cut goods, custom canvas, products with a broken seal, clearance items, close-outs, discontinued and specially ordered items are not returnable. If these items are found to be damaged or defective, you must notify us within 10 days for replacement.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

And if you continued reading:

"Defective Products / Warranty Information:
Most items we sell are covered by manufacturers� warranties. If you experience difficulty with a product, please contact the appropriate manufacturer for assistance and troubleshooting help. A full listing of the manufacturer�s websites is available at: Manufacturers? Links, email custserv@defender.com, or call 800-435-7180. We will work with you and the manufacturer to resolve any issues"

Regardless of what Defender may decide to do, if anything, the correct procedure is to take the boat to a Mercury dealer where they will notify Mercury, the responsible party in this case, who will then authorise a replacement boat skin. That skin is sent to that dealer where that dealer will transfer over the serial plate and the cap plate. It shouldn't take over three days for the skin to arrive to the dealer. That keeps Defender from losing $200.00 out of their pocket for something they had zero control or knowledge about. My point here gentlemen is that Mercury has a process in place to minimize the customers inconvenience and to reduce costs. When you badger a company, like Defender, into going outside of that warranty policy you needlessly put a cost on them that they have to make up somewhere else...IE Raise their prices.

Gametrade

Seaman Apprentice

They called me and gave me an update. Sounds good so far. Something about Mercury replacing the skin....but he said he would call me back soon with exact details. Looks like it is turning better. I was just kind of scared from the start because it took them almost 3 weeks to ship to me, then after the long wait, i still received a defective product.