Old Cable Steer Q...

IronWill

Seaman
What do you all use to hold the cable in place when it's all setup? I'm talking about when you pull the cable tight, what do you use to keep it tight and secure?

Thank again folks,
-Will

IronWill

Seaman
Re: Old Cable Steer Q...

A cable clamp...there are several types.

Well?considering the safety issues involved with setting up ones steering on a boat, I believe a suggestion that is a little more product specific will be a bit more helpful.

Yes, I do have a cable and I do need some sort of clamp?.cable + clamp = cable clamp. Hu da thunked dat!

Folks, I?m trying to get this old boat back to running condition and would very much appreciate some input from someone with experience on the matter. Not to mention keeping it safe too.

Thanks again,
-Will

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I doubt you will find any that are exactly original type.
Ace Hardware sells several types of cable clamps.

Myself i would update to a steering cable and helm.
Looks much better and safer than the old cable and pulley steering.Just depends on how original you are trying to keep the rig.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

That type of hardware is going to be hard to find. I quickly googled I-boats, West, etc and came up with nothing.

You are looking for tiller cable, tiller cable clamps, tiller springs, tiller rope guides, etc. Get plastic coated steel cable.

Look at Glen-L. They make wooden boat kits:

http://www.boatdesigns.com/searchprods.asp

That was a search link that I used and came up with all of the parts on one page. If it doesn't work go to their home page and do a search for cable clamps. They also sell a full kit that includes everyhting to replace the entire system. Call them and see who the manufacturer of the kit is, then call them direct to get a copy of the installation instructions.

C-Me Marine carries everything you need as well. 800-659-4262

IronWill

Seaman

Yes, I have the steering all setup with new springs, pulleys and cable. Now I just want to make sure I get it secured correctly. Right now I have a couple of ;I guess you can call them miniature muffler clamps; holding it all in place.

I'm wondering if something like this will suffice...

39721.gif

http://www.iboats.com/Tiller-Line-Clamps/dm/*******.589868440--**********.370749757--view_id.39721

Thanks...

dbuffington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, I have the steering all setup with new springs, pulleys and cable. Now I just want to make sure I get it secured correctly. Right now I have a couple of ;I guess you can call them miniature muffler clamps; holding it all in place.

I'm wondering if something like this will suffice....

I used those clamps on two old boats, and they worked just fine. The difficult part is getting as much slack out of the cable as possible before tightening the clamp.

Enjoy!
Dave

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

39721.gif

http://www.iboats.com/Tiller-Line-Clamps/dm/*******.589868440--**********.370749757--view_id.39721

Thanks...

Yes, thats the one. Pull the cable as tight as you can, then install the clamp loosely. Then retighten the cable by pulling and pushing it thru the clamp. Repeat until you have the springs compressed about half way. Then fully tighten the clamp.

Ned L

Commander

Yes, those are the proper clamps. Most important, make sure you have all the turning points (pulleys) and end points through bolted, (no screws). Real bad things happen real fast if something pulls out. Traditional cable steering is fine & safe IF installed & maintained properly.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

See, when you pull your head out of your attitude, you can figure it out. As said, that is a CABLE CLAMP. Huzzah! Funny how that work.

Well…considering the safety issues involved with setting up ones steering on a boat, I believe a suggestion that is a little more product specific will be a bit more helpful.

Yes, I do have a cable and I do need some sort of clamp….cable + clamp = cable clamp. Hu da thunked dat!

Folks, I’m trying to get this old boat back to running condition and would very much appreciate some input from someone with experience on the matter. Not to mention keeping it safe too.

Thanks again,
-Will

IronWill

Seaman

tm..is this really all you do on this forum?

Everyone else...thank you for your useful input with regards to this setup. What was used on the boat when I got it was some sort of thick heavy gauge solid banding type material that was crimped on. Not a reusable clamp. I figured it was done many years ago and thought that there may be other options out there. Thanks again?mostly everyone...:D

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

39721.gif

Thanks...

I have a cable steering set up on my 1969 alumacraft... the clamp you show work exactly like mine , even though it looks a lot different..

the original version was jst two thick pieces of S?S stamped into a shape. one was more receptive to letting the cable set in it, the other was similar but more of a cover.. and I THINK a bolt and NUT was used...so you needed two hands to tighten, when it would have been helpfull to leave one for making sure the cable was taught.

but usually the friction in the curved back end is enough to keep it still while you pull and tighten.

what i didnt like about my set up, was the pulley mounted to the sides of the back of the boat would twist and the cables would cross, causeing steering drag...I was going to make a bracket to prevent the pulley from spinning...but never did..

while the cables dont seem to last more than 3 or 4 years before the coating starts cracking, in the winter, those cables dont freeze up, or rust !!! like other steering systems can

bob

IronWill

Seaman

Bob?thanks for the tip. Looks like I?ll go down that road using those clamps.

tashasdaddy?hmmm?I was a Lowes just yesterday looking at clamps. I didn?t see any like those in the image. I?ll swing by HomeDepot and have a look.

Also, I noticed in the links you provided that the jacket on the cable was not striped back prior to securing with the clamp. I was under the impression that you were supposed to strip down to the cable to secure the clamp?or does it really make any difference??

Thanks again folks?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Bob?thanks for the tip. Looks like I?ll go down that road using those clamps.

tashasdaddy?hmmm?I was a Lowes just yesterday looking at clamps. I didn?t see any like those in the image. I?ll swing by HomeDepot and have a look.

Also, I noticed in the links you provided that the jacket on the cable was not striped back prior to securing with the clamp. I was under the impression that you were supposed to strip down to the cable to secure the clamp?or does it really make any difference??

Thanks again folks?

Ill jump in , on that question for tashasdaddy

I never did cut the coating back and didnt notice any ill effects..., BUT, it makes good sense to do that...you will get a better bite.

the biggest issue is where do you cut to??, because once you get it a little set and pull it through and tighten..it is too late...you could set it up so it fits nice, then mark and undo, and cut ..then re assemble

but i dont think it is worth the hassle...

if the boat stays outside in the sun a lot, the sheathing will crack...unless they have better quality cables than I have bought in the past.

good luck

bob

ghamby

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can wholeheartedly recommend stripping the plastic jacket off the tiller cable
at the clamp points. The plastic jacket will crawl under the clamps. The same
applies to Nico-Press fittings and wire rope clamps.

IronWill

Seaman

...well, I just scored a set from HomeDepot...thanks Tdaddy!:D

The instructions state that the jacket should be stripped back. I'll just follow their recommendation...

Thanks for ya'lls help folks...