Potential Boat Purchase

Cndguy

Recruit
I've really wanted a nice boat for a while now, and while recently browsing the online classifieds I came across one that interested me. I dont have a whole lot of info on the boat, I haven't gone to look at it yet. But here's what I do know. It's an 80's era speed boat a Thundercraft Wildcat 2. It's gonna need some work to make it nice again, but i'm handy with stuff like that so it shouldn't be a huge chore. It's powered by what I've learned to be called a Tower Of Power a Mercury outboard 115hp. Mechanically it's sound but apparently has an electrical gremlin hiding in there somewhere. I can't find any info on the boat, and the motor i've read a lot of great things about and there seems to be a "cult" following the tower of power. I'm even more intrigued and interested b/c both the boat and motor seem to be pretty rare. I personally prefer to have something that im not gonna see six of everywhere i go. If anyone has any opinions or suggestions as to what i should look for when i check out the boat/motor, or if you know anything about either that'd help me in my decision I'd appreciate it. Thanks for your time everyone and sorry this is so long.
Cndguy

P.s. I've included pics of the boat in question.

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 0
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 0
  • boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 0

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Potential Boat Purchase

I don't want to be the one to discourage you from what could be a really cool project and finished job, but an electrical gremlin, especially in an old merc, is a nightmare. I'm in one now with an older Johnson and it is killing me.

Cndguy

Recruit

If i had of read the add, duh my bad. It just says motor needs tinkering i just looked at it again. If the motor proves to be too big of a pain i'd just part it out. From what i can see people will pay an arm and a leg for parts of that motor. I'd jsut part it and find something else to stick in it's place. But i agree with you totally, electrical problems are a pain in the ***!!!!!

Cndguy

Recruit

ya i googled it numerous times, and that was one of the only things i found was a couple adds. No actuall info or sites etc etc. I seen that add u posted. thx for the replies.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

What's the guy want for it?

Cndguy

Recruit

He's asking for $1450 but I'm sure I could get it lower.

Cndguy

Recruit

What would a set-up like this be worth? I'm figuring he's just asking that b/c of the motor. The interior is in rough shape too. I wasn't planning on paying that much, that's why I posted it on here, see what other people think. New to the boat owning area outside of tin cans.

Jakebob

Seaman

I've just finished what seemed like an eternity looking at older hulls like this until I found a good deal on my Slickcraft.

I look at it this way, once a hull reaches several years old, you really don't know what you're getting without really getting into the stringers etc. So I think of it as I'm buying the motor and controls (trim etc if it's there). That's where the bulk of the cash should be. So a few hundred for the hull depending on the size and visible condition including interior and a few hundred on the trailer if it's worth anything at all.

So based on that, this one may be close if the motor is very nice and you can be sure of it. I just think that there are better deals to be had for that kind of money.

I found mine for less. It's a 17' Slickcraft with what might be the best running 135 Johnson I've ever heard and a semi-refurbuished interior for $1100.

Disclaimer - I'm not sure what area you're in so the $$ figures might be way off!