What kind of welder to buy?

Camo Joe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Are the chinese welders any good or just trouble? What kind of welder do you have? Is it trouble free? I am interested in a moderate size Tig aluminum capable / plasma cutter / stick .....muti-unit..................Thanks for your input and advice!

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: What kind of welder to buy?

I would stick with a name brand for that stuff. I have a Miller.

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll second miller...

erikgreen

Captain

Not exactly sure how this is boat related, but.....

I have two chinese welders and they're ok if you know their limitations. I use a MIG and the tig in stick mode for trailer repairs, the TIG for quality steel welds and a bit of aluminum.

Since you say you want aluminum capable and an all in one unit, I should tell you a couple things, though.

First, a TIG unit with the features to do aluminum welding well is expensive. The 200 amp chinese unit I have does it to a point.. it's about the fanciest inverter unit you can get, with all the bells and whistles.. but it's just not as good quality wise as the mid to high end miller/hobart or Lincoln units (and a world away from ESAB). Learning to TIG aluminum was much harder than it needed to be because I was fighting the chinese welder half the time. Most of the settings don't make sense and the four page manual is almost useless.

If you want to weld aluminum thicker than aluminum cans I'd recommend MIG with a spoolgun and as high an amp rating as you can get.

My 200 amp barely does 1/4" plate well. Tubing is very hard because of heat spread and the amp requirements. If you seriously want to weld aluminum with TIG, I'd get a 350 or higher amp unit from Miller or ESAB, with a water cooled torch. You need gobs of amp output to do aluminum and not melt the entire piece.

Unless you're going to get a modular unit from Miller, forget getting an all-in-one.. only the Chinese units really have that option anyway. Get a cheap import plasma cutter, they're hard to go too wrong on. Spend your cash (expect 1-2 thousand US$ for a used unit, much more for new) on a high amp TIG system and a large argon bottle to practice with. Expect to spend a few months learning to use it properly. Aluminum is much harder to weld properly than steel. You'll also need accessories like cleaning supplies, and a set of welding gear you only use for aluminum, to avoid contamination of your welds.

I'd buy chinese only if you can't get anything else. I didn't actually buy mine, I traded old boat parts for 'em :) I strongly recommend you buy a used name brand TIG from Miller/Hobart, ESAB or Lincoln. Get a 200 amp minimum, preferably a 350 or bigger, and plan on wiring it to a 220 volt outlet (110 volt welders are limited to 120 amps or so, mostly).

If you must go cheap and must have new, try a Miller Econotig or a Clarke MIG spool gun unit... the Miller is much better but the Clarke much cheaper.

Erik

Camo Joe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok.......Thanks guys............I'm still looking..........

jonesg

Admiral

Jody of "welding tips and tricks" made a series of 4 very informative videos, minus any redneck anti chinese nonesense .
So he bought a 4 in 1 chinese 250 amp welder and did a full review.

I bought the same rig and the vid helped a lot in initial settings for pulse alum.
This unit will do anything you need on a boat.
The plasma cutting is a hoot.

part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u4Efn1twUo&feature=player_embedded

part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXa1Pxcr_Ww&feature=related

part3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3vBH59VF0s&NR=1

part 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geasK5nD4T0&feature=related

erikgreen

Captain

I thought I'd post in reply - these are great videos, especially for those of us with a Chinese welder. These helped me understand my knobs and settings quite thoroughly. I'm looking forward to improving my weld quality a lot with more practice.

The unit he uses in the videos looks pretty solid, and he says he's happy with it, so maybe it's a good one to look for?

Erik

Jody of "welding tips and tricks" made a series of 4 very informative videos, minus any redneck anti chinese nonesense .
So he bought a 4 in 1 chinese 250 amp welder and did a full review.

I bought the same rig and the vid helped a lot in initial settings for pulse alum.
This unit will do anything you need on a boat.
The plasma cutting is a hoot.

part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u4Efn1twUo&feature=player_embedded

part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXa1Pxcr_Ww&feature=related

part3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3vBH59VF0s&NR=1

part 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geasK5nD4T0&feature=related

jonesg

Admiral

Everlast and longevity are the same rigs with different labels, actually I think the companies are owned by 2 brothers. They don't get along...:)

What sold me was the 5 yr warrenty and they usually just swap the machine if they can't fix it over the phone, they will send out PC boards if they can troubleshoot and isolate the problem.

I have a small lincoln mig, its great but theres no way I could afford American Tig , which I think is actually made in china anyway.:D

If I was a pro welder I'd have big blue or red, no doubt about it.

I'm real slick with tiggin alum as you can clearly see.:eek:
Thats when I first turned the unit on and tried it, too hot.

Attachments

• weld1.jpg
    weld1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 0
  • weld2.jpg
    weld2.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 0

Camo Joe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Some of the second pic looks pretty good...........:D

I've been watching lots of the u tube videos...........Been in touch with Longivity.........they suppose to have a super great deal when I call.............Haven't contacted Everlast yet but will soon..............since I only need an ac/dc tig I would get a used American if I found the right one. Looking and research takes a while.................And yea..........the vids are helpful ........seeing that the knobs actually do something.......Thanks.........

jonesg

Admiral

The first pic is a broken stock pot lid, looks ugly but the weld is solid under the gob, I use it. First time out of the box trying to weld.

I've run a mile of beads since back then,
getting all the controls dialed in was the trick.
Second pic is thin alum sheet, very thin.

If you can snag a good used miller or lincoln you will not regret it either.

Don't know how I ever got along without the plasma cutter, oh yeh...hacksaw, horiz power hacksaw, sawzall, grinder...phew.

Camo Joe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

icon4.gif
How about this one?
I think this one would serve my needs and last a long time trouble free.

........Anyone have one of these?

Lincoln Electric Precision TIG 225 Ready-Pak...........5-230 amps

Attachments

• gonnabmine.jpg
    gonnabmine.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 0

jonesg

Admiral

WHat does it weigh?
My tig is 65lbs plus cart and argon tank.
Inverter technology is a lot lighter.

I prefer my smaller Lincoln mig for portable jobs.

erikgreen

Captain

Lincolns are one of the "big" brands and have a rep for quality, so I'm sure you won't be disappointed by that.

That model looks like it has all the newer features available for tig welders, including pulse settings.

It comes with an air cooled torch, so if you end up doing a lot of aluminum welding (which needs high amps) or high amp steel you'll probably want to add on a water cooler and WC torch later.

All in all looks nice... probably pretty expensive compared to what I'm used to, though :)

Erik

Camo Joe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WHat does it weigh?
My tig is 65lbs plus cart and argon tank.
Inverter technology is a lot lighter.

I prefer my smaller Lincoln mig for portable jobs.

They say this weighs 192 lbs..........this pack............212 with the wheeled cart it sets on with a drawer for storage..................Ithink this has old and new tech so it will last..............