Lawn Mower HP Settlement

fishin1789

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Lawn Mower HP Settlement

I previously worked for one MAJOR engine manufacturer that had a B&S type name......All engine manufacturers now use torque value instead of HP for engine ratings because of this lawsuit! If you look at the sticker on your engine you may be suprised where if is actually manufactured.... Honda in Taiwan... Briggs in China.....Cheap labor and steel = money for silly lawsuits! If it cuts the grass fine, who cares what value the sticker says! As long as they still measure fish with a ruler, I'm a happy camper! A 10" crappie gets rolled in cornmeal and a bath in grease around my house!

scipper77

Commander

If it cuts the grass fine, who cares what value the sticker says!

I can't believe I'm going to side with the lawyers on this one but...

If you are buying equipment to get work done, the quality of that equipment is related to the "speed and quality" with which it gets the work done.

I bought a new house a few years age and in my upgrade from city living I have purchased multiple items that are affected by this law suit like my rider, snow thrower, and push mower. All with Briggs and Stratton power.

This winter after a major snow storm I had to run my 8.5 HP snow blower at the lowest speed because it was bogging down so bad under the load. The couple of extra hp on that briggs would have allowed me to run at a higher speed cutting down the time I spent removing the snow. I obviously wasn't able to test my thrower under these types of conditions at the time of purchase to see that the HP was inadequate. While the snow was up to almost the top of the auger intake, it was light fluffy snow.

My point is that as consumers we have to trust manufacturers ratings. And these manufacturers have a legal obligation not to take advantage of that trust.

I probably got screwed worse than most because I made ALL of my purchases of equipment covered in this law suit within the last few years. In cases like the snow thrower I really do feel like the number fudging is a big deal.

As long as they still measure fish with a ruler, I'm a happy camper! A 10" crappie gets rolled in cornmeal and a bath in grease around my house!

Crappie is delicious!!

IES99

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can't believe I'm going to side with the lawyers on this one but...I probably got screwed worse than most because I made ALL of my purchases of equipment covered in this law suit within the last few years. In cases like the snow thrower I really do feel like the number fudging is a big deal.

I think that you are one of a few who should take the trouble to take part in the lawsuit. You have experienced actual deficiencies in your equipment.

I, on the other hand, decided to ignore the letter when I got it because I was perfectly happy with the performance of the Tecumseh on my Toro Self Propelled.