Fuel Delivery Problem.....Fuel Pump???

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
All, I just finished rebuilding my power tilt/trim unit. I was so happy I decided to start her up. Needless to say it didn't work. I primed the bulb and opened the tank vent. I have an inline filter between the fuel pump and the carb which filled full of gas as the bulb was primed. I tried to start it a few times and that didn't bother me too much since I've yet to really clean out the carb and the few times this season Ive started the motor, it took a while to fire up. The last turn of the key, I noticed the inline filter slowly losing gas and emptying completely.

First off, I checked the bulb which was somewhat hard and would firm up with a few pumps. I then checked the hose connection from the fuel line to the fuel pump. Then, I removed the fuel line and pump the bulb and saw the gas flow so I knew everything was good up to that point in the system. I also noticed that if the hose clamp was loosened and the buld primed, gas would spew out of one small area at the connection point. Also, fuel never entered the inline filter. Judging by this, I believe the fuel pump is blocked internally somehow as it seemed like the inlet was blocked off.

I replaced the pump diaphram and gasket about a week ago. The large spring looked good. I only checked one check valve (the one I could depress without removing it). Since that work was done, I've sucessfully started and ran the motor 3 or 4 times and a totaled amount of about 15 running minutes. The motor is a 1994 70hp btw. Sorry for the length of the post and thanks for any help; it is greatly appreciated.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Fuel Delivery Problem.....Fuel Pump???

Sounds like one of the check valves is sticking if you squeeze the primer bulb and it gets firm but no gas appears in the in line filter between the pump and carbs.

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer

That's what I was thinking. I'm checking them out tomorrow. Is it best to just go a head and replace them? I haven't done it nor do I know about the last owner.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

You may be able to temporarily get them working by messing around with them like you did to the one, but yes, replace them. Something happens to the plastic disk as they age and they start to stick. I suspect that it's the additives that are used in the gas these days.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like Ethanol might be playin dirty tricks on you.Ethanol destroys hoses and primer bulbs from the inside out.
Replace all the lines you can touch.Check the fuel filter and the fuel pump.
Then start over.J

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer

All the hose from the tank to the fuel pump is only 1 week old. The same goes for the bulb. When I removed the line from the inlet of the fuel pump, I can pump the bulb and gas flows so I know the fuel is at least getting to the fuel pump. It just wont come of the fuel pump's exit. It acts as if a check valve is keeping the fuel from entering the pump.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Then take the pump apart and see what's in there.J

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer

I plan on disassembling the fuel pump after I get home from work. I'm also going to try to order new check valves today as well. Since shipping is usually about a week long wait, is there something I can do to the valves so they temporarily won't stick? I'd like to do a quick fix while im waiting on parts so I can look at some other issues that are better solved if the engine is running.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Take them out to see what's making them stick.J