Super Stiff Steering On my 05' Ebbtide 210 w/350mpi

350mpi Guy

Cadet
I bought a 2005 210 Ebbtide Champione this winter and have managed to knock out most of the maint. myself(eg. oil change, gear oil, impeller) but the steering at normal running temp is really stiff. My maint. manual shows all the wrong lube points and there don't seem to be any visible grease fittings. Any ideas?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Super Stiff Steering On my 05' Ebbtide 210 w/350mpi

What are you working on? In this forum, we don't care what your boat is, we need to know what your Engine and Drive are.

Don S

Probably the cable is frozen in the aluminum tube at the transom shield.
Very common on Mercruisers on boats used in saltwater.
Here is what to check, may look a bit different than your unit, but the idea is the same.
Best thing to do is remove the cable from the tube, clean, grease and reassemble.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Frozen steering.jpg
    Frozen steering.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 5

350mpi Guy

Cadet

Should I also lube the wheel end of the steering cable using the same technique?

Don S

It's not set up like that on the wheel end.

Quack Addict

Cadet

The steering cable on my `88 4.3L / Mercruiser Alpha 1 was completely frozen when I bought the boat in `02 or `03. It was a freshwater boat but sat covered for a couple years before I bought it. I disassembled as Don S mentioned and got everything freed up over the course of about 3 hours one evening.

I installed a "custom" grease zerk on the aluminum tube right next to the bracket. By turning the steering wheel all the way to full lock where the steering ram was fully extended, I could get a couple pumps of grease into the cable and then working the steering wheel back & forth, it forced grease up into the cable. Steering was smooth as silk afterward.

350mpi Guy

Cadet

Success!! Pulled the cable, cleaned and greased and reassembled. After getting up to operating temp I was able to steer with a single finger. Thanks for the help guys.